Ads not shown when logged in
Page 47 of 94 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Could you point me in the direction of some Abbey beers that are brewed in an Abbey? And where to get hold of them? I'm interested in stretching my experience of different types of beer, but obviously I've not found the genuine article so far.
    Don't know enough about Abbey beers although I have drank a few .Strange that people hate Carslberg/Heineken /big brother breweries but quite happy to drink Belgian beers that are brewed by them under false names. No offence intended. Good beer is good beer whoever brews it.

This Space For Hire

Walked down to the Express tonight but had intended going to the Sussex in Twickenham.Met a couple of interesting guys so stayed at the Express. Had two pints of Siren -breakfast stout(cask) £4.50 a pint or two for £5.Then two of Big Smoke -Distant Lands (cask) £5 for two and a rather nice pint of keg at £5.20. Cant remember what it was but probably from Deviant and Dandy.No Harveys or Bass on and as I suspected the recent cask from these two brewers was old stock

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Walked down to the Express tonight but had intended going to the Sussex in Twickenham.Met a couple of interesting guys so stayed at the Express. Had two pints of Siren -breakfast stout(cask) £4.50 a pint or two for £5.Then two of Big Smoke -Distant Lands (cask) £5 for two and a rather nice pint of keg at £5.20. Cant remember what it was but probably from Deviant and Dandy.No Harveys or Bass on and as I suspected the recent cask from these two brewers was old stock
    Interesting pricing policy!
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

My third beer delivery of the week arrived at 2pm, from Stori Beers in Bala, Gwynedd. This on top of my deliveries from Allendale and Williams Bros left me with a storage crisis, so I spent the afternoon putting together a couple more shelves for my cupboard-under-the-stairs. And now I'm reaping the reward for my labour, as I'm drinking the best bottled bitter I've had in ages. I know I was keen on the Allendale Wagtail 3.8% yesterday, my beer of the week so far. Stand by for a new beer of the week. This one is Cader Idris Bitter 4.0% from Cader Ales of Dolgellau. Described as a Welsh best bitter, the label makes no mention of which malts and which hops go towards this beautifully balanced bitter. The beer is lightly carbonated, and the malt is immediately apparent on first sip. But it's followed immediately by a hit of hops, followed by a lovely bitter finish. My only problem is that I only bought two of each beer, so I'm going to have to see if I can get some more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

"This one is Cader Idris Bitter 4.0% from Cader Ales of Dolgellau"
    Any Grapefruit hit?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Other suppliers seem to be www.masterofmalt.com and my mate John. Do remember your wallet of course, most are over the 7.5% watershed.
    I've tried both Master of Malt and Drinkswell (your mate John). The former were competitively priced but lots of items were sold out. I've placed an order for nine bottles (five different beers) for just short of £30 (inc. £5 delivery charge).

Your mate John has a better selection, with only a few "unavailable", but slightly pricier. I've ordered seven Trappist beers from him, then did a little browse in the English beers section, and picked up two from Richmond brewery (Drummer Boy & Stump Cross Ale), which is a new one for me, one each from Treboom (Kettle Drum) and Wensleydale (Black Dub), doubled up to two of each @ £2.95 and my total order came to £55 (inc. £8 delivery charge).

Gawd knows where I'm going to put them. Let's see, that's 22 bottles on order, so if I drink an average of three or four per day I can make enough room in my cupboard-under-the-stairs if they don't arrive before Tuesday.

Thanks again for the suggested suppliers.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    "This one is Cader Idris Bitter 4.0% from Cader Ales of Dolgellau"
    Any Grapefruit hit?
    Let's have a look at the blurb on the back of the label. "Chwerw traddiodiadol yw Idris sy'n defnyddio...", oh hang about, that's in Welsh. I'll just put it through Google translate. Here we go: "Idris is a traditional bitter brewed using the pure waters of the mountains and hills around Dolgellau, blended with freshly picked local grapefruit. A blend of malted barley and carefully selected late hops give soft caramel and spicy notes."
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Let's have a look at the blurb on the back of the label. "Chwerw traddiodiadol yw Idris sy'n defnyddio...", oh hang about, that's in Welsh. I'll just put it through Google translate. Here we go: "Idris is a traditional bitter brewed using the pure waters of the mountains and hills around Dolgellau, blended with freshly picked local grapefruit. A blend of malted barley and carefully selected late hops give soft caramel and spicy notes."
    Intriguing.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Second beer from my Stori Beers delivery is Bragdy Mona Eilian Pale 4.5% (Mona is the name of Anglesey in Welsh - or should I have said Anglesey is the name of Mona in English?)

This 440ml can has very little information on the label, but on the brewery website you can read all about it: https://www.bragdymona.co.uk/eilian; oops, sorry: https://www.bragdymona.co.uk/eilian?lang=en. Actually, there's very little information about the beer, it's mostly about the legend that gives the beer its name. Here's the relevant section: "Fresh, crisp and citrusy 4.5% ABV brewed with fine American hops." Actually, that's a pretty fair description, but I was hoping for some facts too. Anyway, the beer pours crisply clear, an attractive orange hue, and is not overly carbonated. There's a strong citrus smell which is immediately also apparent on the tongue (on sipping, naturally). There's a good malty background, but this is very much a "hop-forward" beer in the modern style. It looks like there must have been a failure in the local grapefruit crop, because this one is oranges all the way. Or maybe tangerines. Whatever, there's a good bitter finish which I enjoyed. I think I've got another one of these, but the filing system in my cupboard-under-the-stairs leaves a lot to be desired.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Intriguing.
    Yeah, sorry about the Google translate snafu. No grapefruit. But a fantastic beer (if you like that sort of thing).
    Come On You Hatters!