Ads not shown when logged in
Page 36 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I thought you southerners preferred your beer without "A great northern creamy head!"
    As a confirmed southener,I think it's a case of horses for courses.A northern beer such as Timothy Taylor Landlord is brewed to be served through a tight sparkler and IMHO tastes all the better for it.However there are some southern produced beers which can have a lot of character knocked out of them by using a tight sparkler.
    I guess it's all part of the skill of a publican to get this right,depending on what he is serving at the bar .
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I thought you southerners preferred your beer without "A great northern creamy head!"
    L C is a Jockney
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    ...my wife came into my den and said get that tin off the window ledge you have just painted it.
    Quite right. If the paint on your can weren't dry, it could have dripped onto the window sill.

This Space For Hire

Of course drinking any beer at home is not like drinking in a pub. I drink cans at home, but to me the cask is better. It goes down better. The beer today was superb.
    Noticed that all the tinned beers I have had have been in great condition but not one of them has left lacings on the glass.Had plenty of beers that didn't have much of a head but were still in good condition.The Fullers ones were just flat.Beer should look good as well as taste good.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    As a confirmed southener,I think it's a case of horses for courses.A northern beer such as Timothy Taylor Landlord is brewed to be served through a tight sparkler and IMHO tastes all the better for it.However there are some southern produced beers which can have a lot of character knocked out of them by using a tight sparkler.
    I guess it's all part of the skill of a publican to get this right,depending on what he is serving at the bar .
    Prefer sparklers myself on any beer.

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Managed find an Order of Faith at my local Morrisons, but not the other two. Was going to do a taste test, to see if I came anywhere near your scores, John. I picked up a few more anyway, since I was there, and I'll have a go at some of them maybe tomorrow and Monday. One of them's the Allendale Wanderlust that I liked when I did a blind tasting a couple of weeks ago, so I got another Allendale for comparison: Dirty Deeds. Also Five Summers from Harbour, Cannonball from Magic Rock, and Ridgeside Objects in Space.
    A little later than promised (I had to go to Barnard Castle to make sure my taste buds were still working), here's my blind tasting of three of the above beers:

1) Harbour Five Summers
    2) Magic Rock Cannonball
    3) Allendale Dirty Deeds

As before, I labelled the beer cans and the glasses, poured a third of a pint, then carried the glsses through to the other room in such a way that it would be difficult to keep track of which was which. I then placed them in random order on the beer mats and labelled the mats A, B and C.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

1) Harbour Five Summers
    2) Magic Rock Cannonball
    3) Allendale Dirty Deeds
    So, three very similar beers, to go by appearances (see the last photo in the previous post). A & B were almost identical in having a slight haze and being yellow/orange in hue. C was also slightly hazy but just a little darker (or more orange?) than the other two.

Both A & B had tropical fruit on the nose, but C was much subtler, with just a hint of fruit, and possibly some bubblegum and marzipan too.

A tasted of tropical fruit, with a hint of orange, while B was similar but with a suggestion of lemon. C was again far more subtle and quite hard to put a finger on, but I did get a suggestion of almond.

A had quite a bitter finish, with a suggestion of orange pith. B was not so bitter, with a hint of bitter lemon. C had only a slight bitterness by comparison.

At this point, I have not looked at the ingredients since picking up the cans in Morrisons the other day, so that will be next.
    Come On You Hatters!

1) Harbour Five Summers
    2) Magic Rock Cannonball
    3) Allendale Dirty Deeds
    1) Harbour Five Summers 5.0% "An American style pale ale with a piney grapefruit aroma that leads to a smooth citrus flavour that finishes with a robust malt backbone." Hops: not named Malt: not named

2) Magic Rock Cannonball 7.4% "An India Pale Ale in the true tradition massively hopped, and higher abv to survive a long sea voyage. Tropically fruity, resinous hops compete against a sweet malty backbone, while a rasping bitterness builds to a mouth puckering crescendo." Hops: not named Malt: not named (but can states barley & wheat)

3) Allendale Dirty Deeds 6.6% "New England style IPA, soft fruity and juicy. Naturally hazy" Hops: Galaxy, Vic Secret Malt: Oat, Pale, Cara

I've had a few more sips at these beers, which I'm enjoying. (The previous tasting I was unimpressed with three of the four beers.) I like the bitter finsh of A and B, but I also quite like the smoothness of C, though it lacks that bitter finish.
    Come On You Hatters!

Reading these blurbs while drinking the beers leaves me a little perplexed. And trying to identify them by comparing my impressions with their descriptions is even more perplexing. I noticed a possible bubblegum flavour in beer C, which I tend to associate with German or Belgian wheat beers, but the blurb on Cannonball (which has wheat in the malt bill) mentions a "rasping bitterness (and) mouth puckering crescendo", which is not what this beer has. So maybe C is the Allendale, which is described on their website as "fruity", and is brewed with oats, which could account for its smooth finish, with negligable bitterness.

The absence of a hop listing with two out of three beers makes it difficult, as does the similarity in appearance. I didn't get anything particularly resinous (Five Summers is said to be "piney" and Cannonball "resinous"), and as for the malts, (Five Summers is said to have a "robust" malt backbone, while Cannonball's is "sweet"). Five Summers is said to have a "piney grapefruit aroma", but I didn't get grapefruit from any of these (by contrast to some of my recent experimentations, which were more grapefruity than real grapefruit).

Hmm. I think I'll go and have a curry. See you later.
    Come On You Hatters!

A & B were almost identical in having a slight haze and being yellow/orange in hue. C was also slightly hazy but just a little darker (or more orange?) than the other two.

Both A & B had tropical fruit on the nose, but C was much subtler, with just a hint of fruit, and possibly some bubblegum and marzipan too.

A tasted of tropical fruit, with a hint of orange, while B was similar but with a suggestion of lemon. C was again far more subtle and quite hard to put a finger on, but I did get a suggestion of almond.

A had quite a bitter finish, with a suggestion of orange pith. B was not so bitter, with a hint of bitter lemon. C had only a slight bitterness by comparison.
    I'm going to go for A being the Magic Rock, as this is the only one that has anything like what they call a "rasping bitterness". B has a different finish, but I felt it was still bitter, though with a touch of sweetness, Neither Harbour nor Allendale mention a bitter finish. The Dirty Deeds is supposed to be "soft, fruity and juicy", which would suit C except that I think it's too understated for a New England IPA. Then again, the bubblegum and marzipan I detected in C would not match the brewer's description of any of these beers, so perhaps I imagined it. And "robust malt backbone"? In three beers where hops are totally dominant, I didn't really pick up much maltiness, except that C was a bit smoother in the finish. The other thing that strikes me about these types of beer is that I get no impression of alcohol at all. These are 5%, 7.4% and 6.6% respecively, but they could all be 4.2% for all I can tell from drinking them.

So, what the heck: A = Magic Rock Cannonball, B = Harbour Five Summers, C = Allendale Dirty Deeds. I'll post this and then go and get the remains of the cans out of the fridge.
    Come On You Hatters!