Ads not shown when logged in
Page 28 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Tonight am mixing between Brewdog and Vocation. Now on Life & Death, some Elvis Juice for later on, plus Bread & Butter, all are fab. Can't wait to hit Hebdon Bridge when everything gets back to normal
    A bit like you I have downed BrewDog / Cloudwater New England IPA then Vocation Love&Hate and Life & Death ,all superb.A boating visit to Hebden Bridge ,Tod and Rochdale were all part of the plan for this year but due to Storm Ciara and now this terrible pandemic maybe 2021 is the year ? Due to lockdown moored in Berkhamstead since mid March and unsure when the next move will be.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    First cask ale since March 15th with a takeout from my local, The Bridge End Inn at Ruabon. Conwy Rampant and another I can't remember. My tins of Vocation etc. are OK for a can or two but today feels like I have had a drink for the first time since March at the above location. I can sample (and mostly enjoy) anything, but my palette is so strongly pro cask, I really miss the Real thing!
    Great pub from which to source a takeout
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    These were the four beers in their numbered cans/glasses:

1. Allendale Wanderlust IPA 6.5% Pale malt, Oats; Zeus, Cascade, Centennial , Citra, Mosaic
    2. Siren Soundwave IPA 5.6% Maris Otter, Dextrin Malt, Wheat ; Citra, Simcoe, Chinook, Columbus
    3. Drygate Crossing the Rubicon West Coast IPA 6.9% Pale, Crystal, Malted Oat; Ekuanot, Cascade
    4. Vocation Life & Death IPA 6.5% (Malts & hops not identified on can or website, but they're "proud to put [their] name on the can", so they must be good'uns.)

4. Vocation Life & Death

3. Drygate Crossing the Rubicon

2. Siren Soundwave

1. Allendale Wanderlust

I was a little surprised that I didn't like the Vocation beer, because I've had a few of those before - can't remember which, because their names are all so samey.

Siren beers just don't suit me, or at least, none of those I've had so far.

Drygate is a new brewery to me, and I enjoyed this one. I've had a few beers with Ekuanot, and I can remember one that was very bitter and another that was sweetish, which is a matter of how the hops are treated, i.e. when they are added in the brewing process. Liked this one.

I've had a few Allendale beers before, and always found them well made, even if not always to my taste. If I'd read the list of hops (Citra, Mosaic), I wouldn't have bought it, but this was the beer of the day for me. How about that?
    Vocation is usually pretty murky.Drank two tins on Wednesday. Top murk.

I've had a few Allendale beers before, and always found them well made, even if not always to my taste. If I'd read the list of hops (Citra, Mosaic), I wouldn't have bought it, but this was the beer of the day for me. How about that?
    The Allendale Wanderlust I had recently was probably the least flavoursome (in your face?) beer of its type I've had recently, possibly why it was preferable to you Will, not saying you don't like flavour, just not the flavour I like. That said sometimes I can try a beer and don't rate it, have it a different time, maybe under different circumstances and quite like it. Some beers can be enhanced or vice versa by the previous beer you've had.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The Allendale Wanderlust I had recently was probably the least flavoursome (in your face?) beer of its type I've had recently, possibly why it was preferable to you Will, not saying you don't like flavour, just not the flavour I like.
    Yes, it's not so much a matter of "not liking flavour", I think it's more that I appreciate subtlety in a beer*. For instance, I can't drink a lot of a beer like Titanic Plum Porter, because it just tastes of plums. And more plums. And then some more.

I remember a hazelnut porter made by Neepsend, one of the breweries local to me, which I discovered in a bar in Newcastle under Lyme when I was scoping the pubs for our crawl there. At first I couldn't taste much at all. On the second swallow I could identify a faint nutty flavour. Towards the bottom of my glass it was definitely hazelnutty.

Beers that I tend to avoid are those where the brewers have very cleverly obtained the flavour of blood oranges, or tangerines, or mandarins from whatever combination of hops. And then not only said so in the name of the beer and in the blurb on the can (or the pump clip - remember those?), but also (just in case you didn't read the message) HIT YOU IN THE FACE WITH AN ORANGE AT EVERY SIP. No thanks.

That said sometimes I can try a beer and don't rate it, have it a different time, maybe under different circumstances and quite like it. Some beers can be enhanced or vice versa by the previous beer you've had.
    Yes, there's that. And there's also how cold or gassy the beer is. How fresh or stale, too.

*Not saying that you don't, Mick!
    Come On You Hatters!

Yes, it's not so much a matter of "not liking flavour", I think it's more that I appreciate subtlety in a beer*. For instance, I can't drink a lot of a beer like Titanic Plum Porter, because it just tastes of plums.
    I can't get on with Plum Porter at all, I am more than happy to have this with a light lunch though.
    20200509_135450.jpg
    -W.C.Fields

I can't get on with Plum Porter at all, I am more than happy to have this with a light lunch though.
    20200509_135450.jpg
    I might try a Jaipur with food. Thanks for the suggestion. It's the sort of bland, undemanding lager-ish beer that would work. I had one last night, but not with food, and didn't like it much. Too fizzy - I can't believe Boak & Bailey said it was the nearest thing to real ale they'd had since lockdown started! (See https://boakandbailey.com/2020/04/sa...-thornbridge/: "a glass filled to the brim with the contents of most of two cans is about as close to a pint of cask ale as we’ve been able to get at home.") - And totally lacking in depth or complexity.
    Come On You Hatters!

I might try a Jaipur with food. Thanks for the suggestion. It's the sort of bland, undemanding lager-ish beer that would work. I had one last night, but not with food, and didn't like it much. Too fizzy.
    The can of Jaipur I had with some cheese and salad was ok. I didn't chill it as much as the previous one, which had been in the fridge for a week. Mind you, temperature hadn't been a problem with the four cans I had for the blind tasting the other night (#256). But the carbonation is still a problem for me with Jaipur. Again, none of the four was overcarbonated, but I find Jaipur to be aggressively so. A matter of taste, I guess, because some people like their beers gassy but for me it's a no-no.
    Come On You Hatters!

The can of Jaipur I had with some cheese and salad was ok. I didn't chill it as much as the previous one, which had been in the fridge for a week. Mind you, temperature hadn't been a problem with the four cans I had for the blind tasting the other night (#256). But the carbonation is still a problem for me with Jaipur. Again, none of the four was overcarbonated, but I find Jaipur to be aggressively so. A matter of taste, I guess, because some people like their beers gassy but for me it's a no-no.
    Can't say I've found it particularly gassy, but then I have had a lot of cans lately.
    -W.C.Fields

I did try the Drygate Crossing The Rubicorn today, it was alright but a long way off being a favourite beer.
    -W.C.Fields