Ads not shown when logged in
Page 85 of 94 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'd be interested in getting hold of that one, because if anyone can make a decent beer with mosaic hops, The Kernel can.
    Mine came from here.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Mine came from here.
    Now out of stock I see.
    -W.C.Fields

Next up another single hop pale ale , Thornbridge Kasperia.jpg. A rather lively pour but settled down nicely, the hop is Cashmere and is more subtle than the previous Mosaic. The label on the rear of the bottle promises flavours of Lemon and Mango, I'm getting the Lemon, which I quite like in a beer, but little in the way of Mango. I probably should have had this before the earlier Kernel, but still a nice refreshing drink. 7/10
    -W.C.Fields

Now out of stock I see.
    I've rarely been able to buy the same Kernel beer twice - they seem to do very short runs and then go on to brew something else.
    Come On You Hatters!

Watching some TV so started with a Magic Rock Saucery (sic) 3.9% a bit of a disappointment really.

Then a Punk IPA, always palatable.

Now I've just started on a Thornbridge Jamestown 5.9%, very pleasant.

Next up will be a McEwan's Champion 7.3% in preparation for putting some music on.

Last week was mainly Reggae (Culture, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru) and The Smiths.

This week there may be some early Robert Palmer some John Martyn and a bit of Tom Waits along with whatever else I think of...............

Although as Ms CAMRA is at her Mothers, Nirvana and the Foos may well make an appearance.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 19-02-2021 at 22:01.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

Well, here's a bit of an oddity that I picked up at Beer Central two weeks ago and hadn't quite summoned up the courage to drink it until now. Yes, it's a sour beer. Vault City Brewing Sloe Gin Sour 8.6%, to be precise. It comes in a heavyweight 375ml bottle with a big dent in the bottom - so a half-size wine bottle, in effect. Topped with a crown cap, although it looks like it would take a cork. It took a bit of an effort to lever the cap off, and it came with a bit of a hiss but fortunately no rush of foam. Any head in the glass rapidly dissipated, leaving a very strange looking opaque liquid the colour of a bruised strawberry, with a few bubbles continuing to rise to break gently on the surface.

Ingredients include sloes, of course, plus juniper, citrus zest and coriander in addition to the usual barley malt, wheat, hops and yeast. The malt is very well hidden, it's got to be said, and the hops are struggling against all the other stuff going on. This is only a moderately sour beer, tasting mostly of a gin and tonic with about six slices of lemon floating in the glass. There's a background of hedgerow fruit, but would I have identified sloe rather than damson or even blackberry? The blurb on the bottle describes the sloe as a berry, but in fact this is a drupe, the fruit of the blackthorn, which is a member of the Prunus genus, so related to damsons and plums. I suppose this means they didn't make any effort to take the stones out, then.

An interesting experiment, which I'm in no hurry to repeat. Not just because it's quite pricey - at £7.95 it converts to £2.47 per unit of alcohol, and bearing in mind that it's not exactly quaffable, you would do better buying a bottle of gin and liquidising half a kilo of plums if you just wanted to get loaded on a plummy drink. I've now had three sour beers in the last three months, so I think I'm going to have a little rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

Did have an excellent Vault City sour last autumn, Gooseberry and Elderflower in The Jolly Fisherman, I had more than one but it was competing with possibly even better beer so didn't get a mention in my review.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

Last week was mainly Reggae (Culture, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru) and The Smiths.

This week there may be some early Robert Palmer some John Martyn and a bit of Tom Waits along with whatever else I think of...............
    Police report rise in large Covid lockdown parties in England.

Guilty as charged.
    Come On You Hatters!

Did have an excellent Vault City sour last autumn, Gooseberry and Elderflower in The Jolly Fisherman, I had more than one but it was competing with possibly even better beer so didn't get a mention in my review.
    There's no doubting the quality of this - far better than the Siren Craft Gather & Store that I had in December. I like to try one from time to time, but I can't get massively enthused about sour beer.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Last week was mainly Reggae (Culture, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru)
    Sad to see U-Roy, pioneering Jamaican reggae artist, go a couple of days ago...