Ads not shown when logged in
Page 72 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Salt -- IKAT DDH DIPA

IMG_0034.JPG

Three hops used here,Amarillo,Citra and Mosaic and 8% gives rise to the Double IPA title,but there is hardly any no nose,maybe faint Citra. The subtly is in the drinking with some sweetness but plenty of hop action and not excessive alcohol hit despite the 8%. I really enjoy this style and this is one of the best in class that I've tried. 9/10

That's the last new beer for me from my Salt selection,so now really going to enjoy the duplicates and triplicates that were part of the delivery.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    last few weeks I have started my session with a BBB here are the results
    fullers -esb found this a shadow of its former self .little or no hop flavour 6/10
    marstons -old empire -decent beer and seems to be unchanged over the last 10 years 7.5 /10
    wadworth -6x surprisingly good and still got a fruity hop profile 7.75/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    ...among them is an Old Empire which I am drinking now, a little on the sweet side but not too bad. 6/10.
    I'm not sure if I have had either ESB or 6X in bottle form - probably, back in the 80s or 90s. Old Empire I've had more recently I think - possibly 00s. It's my opinion that these types of beers don't work very well in bottled form. This may be something to do with the process of changing them from cask conditioned ales to pasteurised/filtered/carbonated. Whatever it is, they don't seem to me to have enough character to emerge with any distinction in the glass. Too lightly hopped to balance/overcome the sweetness of the malt, perhaps. Some beers can do it Riggwelter, Old Peculier, Dark Side of the Moose all come to mind.

This is something that the modern fruity IPAs do well - they emerge from the can (or bottle - but mostly cans) with the appearance and mouthfeel of a cask beer, and are much more drinkable and enjoyable than those old fashioned beers that you mention. I would much rather drink a can of Siren Craft Sold My Soul For Citra, even though, as I may have mentioned once or twice, I generally try to avoid Citra like dog poo on a pavement.

In a pub it's the other way round for me, because ESB for example is well suited to the cask format and is a beautiful drink - perhaps could do with being a little more bitter, but that would be my only criticism. And although I'll drink the occasional beer in a pub with New World hops in it, I usually have a little moan about it because I would prefer to be drinking those traditional English (or Scottish or Welsh) beers with their Fuggles and Goldings!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I generally try to avoid Citra like dog poo on a pavement.
    Hey!
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Hey!
    Sorry, I'd temporarily forgotten about the moniker you use elsewhere! Not meant personally or as a criticism, just my usual cack-handed way of raising a laugh...
    Come On You Hatters!

... cack-handed way of raising a laugh...
    Oops, I did it again!
    Come On You Hatters!

Oops, I did it again!
    A bit like Britney.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A bit like Britney.
    I'm flattered!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I'm not sure if I have had either ESB or 6X in bottle form - probably, back in the 80s or 90s. Old Empire I've had more recently I think - possibly 00s. It's my opinion that these types of beers don't work very well in bottled form. This may be something to do with the process of changing them from cask conditioned ales to pasteurised/filtered/carbonated. Whatever it is, they don't seem to me to have enough character to emerge with any distinction in the glass. Too lightly hopped to balance/overcome the sweetness of the malt, perhaps. Some beers can do it Riggwelter, Old Peculier, Dark Side of the Moose all come to mind.

This is something that the modern fruity IPAs do well - they emerge from the can (or bottle - but mostly cans) with the appearance and mouthfeel of a cask beer, and are much more drinkable and enjoyable than those old fashioned beers that you mention. I would much rather drink a can of Siren Craft Sold My Soul For Citra, even though, as I may have mentioned once or twice, I generally try to avoid Citra like dog poo on a pavement.

In a pub it's the other way round for me, because ESB for example is well suited to the cask format and is a beautiful drink - perhaps could do with being a little more bitter, but that would be my only criticism. And although I'll drink the occasional beer in a pub with New World hops in it, I usually have a little moan about it because I would prefer to be drinking those traditional English (or Scottish or Welsh) beers with their Fuggles and Goldings!
    Yeah ,I find the carbonation too high in the bottled Fullers and recently Darkstar.The craft beer tins seemed to have mastered it and although its technically keg its less carbonated than the supposed cask beers I have been drinking.

This Space For Hire

tonight /today I tried these
    titanic -plum porter don't get this beer but tonight it was better than usual .7.5/10
    marble collab -young boys bitter 3.2 what a crap tasteless beer from a brewery famous for hops 5/10
    oakham -inferno nice old style bitterness 7.5
    brewyork -calmer chameleon good brewer and beer 7.75

This Space For Hire

midweek I tried these
    crooked -alfonzi decent mango pale 7.75
    brewyork -rhubarbra Streisand 7.25 disappointed with this as I had it on cask and was superb.Little or no rhubarb taste
    arbor -new zipper lovely 8/10