Ads not shown when logged in
Page 70 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

A few more local beers tonight, these bought at local mini-market, off-licence, butcher and post office, Beeches of Walkley. I'm starting with two from Thornbridge that I haven't tried before, Tzara 4.8%, a Kölsch; and Shelby 5.0%, an IPA "the official beer of the Peaky Blinders TV serial" (apparently). Shelby is "the kind of IPA that might have been found behind the bar of the Garrison Tavern in Small Heath". It poured with an initally tight but very noisy head, which very soon dispersed despite being replaced by numerous bubbles from below. The carbonation was not as noticeable in the mouth, and in fact the beer very quickly became more like a cask beer than one from a bottle. Light amber in colour and lightly flavoured too, this is not one of those in-your-face fruity IPAs that are so fashionable. In fact I found it a bit underwhelming, and I was disappointed to find no bitter finish.

Thornbridge Tzara 4.8% is true to style, I would say, though Kölsch is not a beer I have drunk very often; I once had it in Köln - albeit nearly 15 years ago. I find it a bit too gassy, but I would say that, wouldn't I. These beers were both under the £3 mark, but the bottles were only 33cl, so this is quite expensive for Sheffield. Interesting and acceptable as a change from my normal preferences, but I'll not be making a habit of either of these two.
    Come On You Hatters!

Friday night out tonight as Ms CAMRA is over at her mothers having taken her for her Pfizer jab.

Just had a Brewdog Clockwork Tangerine to start with.

To follow will be :-

Bath - Lansdown West Coast IPA 5% 440ml can and
    Evil Twin - More Or Less Evil Pale 5% in a kiddie can.

Both slightly surprisingly available in our "big" Tesco.

Also on the bar for later are:-

Bad Co. - American IPA 5.2%
    Magic Rock - High Wire Grapefruit 5.5%
    Northern Monk - New World IPA 6.2%

All in kiddie cans.

If these were in pints and served in The Baum, it would be somewhat like a "normal" Friday night out with the lads.

Plenty more in reserve if I get thirsty though like North - Sputnik and Salt - Crash.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    A few more local beers tonight, these bought at local mini-market, off-licence, butcher and post office, Beeches of Walkley.
    Third beer was from Calke in Derbyshire, near Ashby de la Zouch - Tollgate Billy's Best Bitter 5.1%. I've had a few Tollgate beers, both in pubs and from off licences and have always found them well made and enjoyable. Billy's Best Bitter is 4.6% in cask but 5.1% in the bottled version; I've had this beer before, but can't remember when.

This one poured beautifully clear but in the last glug a huge mass of sediment poured out - rather more than I was expecting and rather sooner than expected too. My pint glass now contained quite a lot of yeast soup. I left it alone for a few minutes and most of it settled to the bottom of the glass, and the beer cleared fairly rapidly, though not completely, of course. The beer was still drinkable and had no "off" flavours at all, if you don't count yeast as an off flavour. I'd have to count this as a fault, though, because there was quite clearly far more yeast in the bottom of the bottle than there should have been. Ah well, we live and learn, I suppose.
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

I'm getting towards the end of the cans that I got from the Dram Shop a couple of weeks ago. Tonight's marquee acquisition is North Brewing x Deya Triple IPA 10%. Yes, 10% it says on the can and 10% is what it yells at you when you take a mouthful. I've had a couple of mouthfuls and already my head is spinning. The other main impression is orange juice, aka very clever hops by the bucketful. The listed ingredients also include barley and oats, which is as you'd expect, but also dextrose, which is a rarity in my experience - and I do tend to read these things as carefully as my eyesight and the font size will allow. No mention of dextrose on the North website, where they big up other aspects of the beer: "...fermented with a little Kveik yeast and packed full of Lotus, Idaho 7 and Citra hops..." (Dextrose is chemically identical to glucose, but easier for yeast to ferment, so is used for brewing of very dry high gravity beers.) This 440ml can cost £7.50, which is towards the top of my bangs-per-buck range at £1.70 per unit of alcohol. This was the last can in the shop, but quite honestly I think one was quite enough for me.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

So far in Lockdown 3,I've stuck with the tried and tested brews from BrewDog,Marble,Oakham and Titanic.However variety is the spice of life ,so now I'm going to sample some new beers . Starting tonight with

Salt/ Docks Beers collaberation Bowline East India Porter

IMG_0027.JPG

Seven different malts,Simcoe kettle hops with dry hopped Citra,Centennial and Simcoe .I really enjoy it 8/10 ,hops on the nose then serious bitterness balancing the complex malt flavours.It hid the 6.6% well as it slipped down with little restistance and it will take will power to resist a second.Shame that the can design doesn't include a bowline knot ,a very useful knot when boating and one I usually fail to replicate
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Salt/ Docks Beers collaberation Bowline East India Porter

IMG_0027.JPG

Seven different malts,Simcoe kettle hops with dry hopped Citra,Centennial and Simcoe .I really enjoy it 8/10 ,hops on the nose then serious bitterness balancing the complex malt flavours.It hid the 6.6% well as it slipped down with little restistance and it will take will power to resist a second.
    Very interesting! Never seen beers from either of those breweries in this part of the world.

Shame that the can design doesn't include a bowline knot ,a very useful knot when boating and one I usually fail to replicate.

There you go: https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/bowline

Get practising!
    Come On You Hatters!

Just polishing off the 5 litre mini-keg of Cellar Head English IPA, started a few days ago and still in good shape.

IMG_0029.JPG

Salt/Abbeydale collaberation When They Bring Back the Riff.

A massive pouring fail by not reading the tin produced a London murky version,but didn't impact on the enjoyment.Described as an American Barley Wine no doubt due to the kettle hops of Simcoe and Citra Incognito with dry hopping with Simcoe and Centennial,the four malts deliver a strong toffee nose,rich mouth feel but balanced by lingering bitterness.The 10% is noticable but on a wet and windy night this beer felt appropriate. 7/10
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 20-01-2021 at 19:21.

IMG_0029.JPG

Salt/Abbeydale collaberation When They Bring Back the Riff.

A massive pouring fail by not reading the tin produced a London murky version,but didn't impact on the enjoyment.Described as an American Barley Wine no doubt due to the kettle hops of Simcoe and Citra Incognito with dry hopping with Simcoe and Centennial,the four malts deliver a strong toffee nose,rich mouth feel but balanced by lingering bitterness.The 10% is noticable but on a wet and windy night this beer felt appropriate. 7/10
    Thanks for your reviews of this one and yesterday's Bowline. I've just sent off an order - some of their beers look very interesting. They've got a TRYANUARY promotional 10% off and free delivery for orders over £50 too.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Thanks for your reviews of this one and yesterday's Bowline. I've just sent off an order - some of their beers look very interesting. They've got a TRYANUARY promotional 10% off and free delivery for orders over £50 too.
    Yes I took advantage of the free delivery too.

Just polished off Salt Citra NEIPA but was a little underwhelmed and certainly had better Citra brews,maybe the session strength 4.3 % didn't work too well after a Barley Wine.6/10

IMG_0030.JPG