Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

I think I had too many ciders last night. I don't even remember how I got home from the kitchen.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Default Last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout 7%. I picked this up in a local bottle shop a few days ago. It's not exactly the world's greatest imperial stout, lacking as it does something of the complexity and depth that the style demands. Unusually, this one was in a 355ml bottle.

Art Brew Anarchist Party Bitter 7.2%. Also from the Dram Shop, Art Brew is a brewery I've not come across before, based on a farm in Sutcombe, North Devon. I don't think I've ever drunk a beer this strong that was described as a bitter. But it is definitely true to style, being malty and yeasty with a bitter finish. Only had a 330ml bottle - will have to see if I can get some more.

In other news - a couple of deliveries yesterday: four 5 litre kegs of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter, and some bottles from Black Sheep: ten of Riggwelter and eight of their attempt at an imperial stout. I'll let you know how I get on with those.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Having a drink of Hogs Back 5 Hop lager and it's a nice drink. Seldom drink bitter at home, to me it's a very different drink to cask which I don't enjoy nearly as much. Part of it is temperature, room temp too warm, fridge too cold.

Default Last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn

It was time to broach the keg of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter! It's not easy pouring a pint of beer and taking a photo at the same time, but I managed somehow. The beer's pretty good, but not the same as drinking in a pub.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    It was time to broach the keg of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter! It's not easy pouring a pint of beer and taking a photo at the same time, but I managed somehow. The beer's pretty good, but not the same as drinking in a pub.
    Luverly.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I slipped in a quick Acorn Old Moor Porter last night but didn't enjoy it as much as usual and certainly not as much as the pub so I left off drinking at that point. Today I had a delivery from Beer Hawk of two boxes, one of Irish beers and one of UK ones they had on cheap, along with the three boxes of Roosters delivered yesterday (which my son has already raided - I will exact my revenge when his Beavertown order arrives) plus three 5 litre mini-kegs from Rudgate, I should be OK for a bit.

So this afternoon I got tempted and so far I've sampled a London Irish Helles (nice but not special), a Saltaire Amarillo (no where near as good as the cask version) and a Rudgate Jorvic in bottle at 4.6 although my mini-keg is supposed to be only 3.8%. I may have a Baby Faced Assassin next but only a children's portion with my prawn curry.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I may have a Baby Faced Assassin next but only a children's portion.
    Don't anyone tell the Portman Group!
    Come On You Hatters!

I got a call today saying my op was cancelled so I'm back on the Big Milk Stout & Roaster Coaster from Tesco. It's just as well I had stockpiled it!

Default Temporary Harvey's crisis...

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Looks like you made that purchase just in time - this was the Harvey's e-mail newsletter today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harvey's-Brewery.png 
Views:	305 
Size:	565.3 KB 
ID:	1948 Hello

As a result of the ongoing Coronavirus (Covid 19) pandemic we have taken the difficult decision to scale back our operations at Harvey's.

Much like many other breweries in the UK, and businesses around the world right now, our landscape is ever changing and we are trying our best to keep our staff and customers safe.

We are taking part in the government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, and reduced our team to the bare minimum required to continue essential activities that will facilitate a resumption of production when circumstances permit.

We are brewing, of necessity, to reproduce and preserve our unique yeast strain - so the familiar smell of hops and malt may still drift across the town on occasions. Hopefully we will be able to store and, eventually, bottle the resultant brews.

The Brewery Shop is closed until further notice, and the online shop has been suspended. However, we hope to be back online with a more limited selection as soon as possible.

We welcomed an extraordinary amount of online orders this past week which we are working through and sending out. If you have any questions about orders please email shop@harveys.org.uk, and we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as we can.

Some Harvey's pubs are still operating as community hubs, and we recommend that you contact any individual pubs directly to see if they are continuing any of their previous initiatives.

Further updates will be posted on our website and social media channels online as and when they occur, we are monitoring email and social if you wish to contact us via those means.

Please keep safe, and continue to do your part by following Government guidelines.

Our sincerest thanks to all of you once again for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Looks like you made that purchase just in time - this was the Harvey's e-mail newsletter today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harvey's-Brewery.png 
Views:	305 
Size:	565.3 KB 
ID:	1948 Hello

As a result of the ongoing Coronavirus (Covid 19) pandemic we have taken the difficult decision to scale back our operations at Harvey's...
    TImothy Taylors said much the same this week, scaling back but still brewing to preserve the integrity of the yeast strain. I wish I'd ordered a case of their Le Coq Imperial Russian Stout before this.