Ads not shown when logged in
Page 57 of 94 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Save your apologies - in one of today's posts he had a pint (a pint!) of John Smiths Extra Cold Crap in a Craft Union pub in Hitchin.
    My experience of Craft Union pubs, despite the slightly hipsterish websites, term 'craft' and lack of information (what are they hiding?) is that they are very tired places where no discerning drinker/pub-goer would set foot. E.g. Marquis of Cornwallis

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    My experience of Craft Union pubs, despite the slightly hipsterish websites, term 'craft' and lack of information (what are they hiding?) is that they are very tired places where no discerning drinker/pub-goer would set foot. E.g. Marquis of Cornwallis
    Ha ha, it's a slimey PubCo trick; once bitten, twice shy or perhaps "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Are they historical recreations? My father was a young thing briefly in the London of the late 1920s, and always said that Watneys was good at the time, unlike in the 70s,when I and everyone else was running them down.
    Some of their brews are 'inspired by' beers of the past, but I do not believe they are supposed to be direct recreations. The outfit also apparently own the rights to Homes, Matty Brown and Federation names but I don't know if they have used them yet.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

A bit late to the Pubs Galore bar, but I've taken the plunge and ordered myself some beer in, spurred on by the mention of two Wiper & True beers in Roger Protz's column in the latest edition of What's Brewing.

Of course, I couldn't get both beers from the same site, so had to place orders with two separate companies, and of course, you can't just order one can (be an expensive one if that once the shipping's added on!) so had to pad both orders out a bit. I've had more than several months of hoppy pale ales and IPAs, and, as the nights are drawing in, felt it would be a wise choice to return to the land of the dark beer.

Intrigued more by the name (and perhaps with apologies to the late Prince) the second of which encountered was Ridgeside Muffin' Compares 2 U (6.5%).*

Poured from a 440ml can, the reverse of which stated the beer was "live and unfiltered" as well "w/ vanilla & lactose", this poured with no discernible head (compared to the heady glass on the brewery's website). A faint nose of blueberry juice and a slightly sweet mouthfeel with a hint of alcohol. The aftertaste was bitter with a tartness of sour blueberries which then turned into a lactose-y envelope.

All-in-all, a good start. I've got a couple of other preposterously-named beers to go through, so I may share my findings on these.

*My first can was Tiny Rebel Stay Puft which has been previously described in detail on these pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    A bit late to the Pubs Galore bar, but I've taken the plunge and ordered myself some beer in, spurred on by the mention of two Wiper & True beers in Roger Protz's column in the latest edition of What's Brewing

Intrigued more by the name (and perhaps with apologies to the late Prince) the second of which encountered was Ridgeside Muffin' Compares 2 U (6.5%).*

Poured from a 440ml can, the reverse of which stated the beer was "live and unfiltered" as well "w/ vanilla & lactose", this poured with no discernible head (compared to the heady glass on the brewery's website). A faint nose of blueberry juice and a slightly sweet mouthfeel with a hint of alcohol. The aftertaste was bitter with a tartness of sour blueberries which then turned into a lactose-y envelope.

All-in-all, a good start. I've got a couple of other preposterously-named beers to go through, so I may share my findings on these.
    Welcome to the bar! And thanks for your very thorough description of that Ridgeside pastry stout, a beer that will never appear in my shopping trolley on account of my avoidance of lactose. But it seems to float your boat, and I get a good idea of what I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    *My first can was Tiny Rebel Stay Puft which has been previously described in detail on these pages.
    There's no rule that says you can't review it too! Did you like it? I don't think there's been a Tiny Rebel beer yet that I've liked, but that's just me - got to be different.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ha ha, it's a slimey PubCo trick; once bitten, twice shy or perhaps "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
    And there's also The Frankfort Arms. Not a million miles from me, this was the rather unprepossessing Kendrick's Bar before returning to its original name last year. I was thinking of paying it a visit, but Facebook makes mention of the place still being a venue for Friday and Saturday night fights and the current review doesn't paint a favourable picture. The moral of the story: Avoid Craft Union pubs!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

I don't think there's been a Tiny Rebel beer yet that I've liked, but that's just me - got to be different.
    You Will (pun intended) not be surprised that I can't remember a Tiny Rebel beer I haven't liked, I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    You Will (pun intended) not be surprised that I can't remember a Tiny Rebel beer I haven't liked, I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.
    Try Random Name Generator, truly king awful.

A pale, Black IPA, yes really. They're just overthinking things a bit with that one.

Mind you it's the only one I can think of.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Try Random Name Generator, truly king awful.

A pale, Black IPA, yes really. They're just overthinking things a bit with that one.

Mind you it's the only one I can think of.
    Not tried it, spose I'll have to now.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I like a good pun.
    Come On You Hatters!