Ads not shown when logged in
Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 578

Thread: pubs galore bar

  1. #511
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Avoiding the pub today because I was with my daughter and her boyfriend - she reckons she is getting enough exposure to possible pathogens (she's a school teacher) without going to pubs too - so we picked up a few bottles and cans from near her place. I quite liked the look of a can of Dry & Bitter Vague Vessel 6.2% from Denmark, but when I opened it there was a smell of lemony sweetness. I was misled by the name of the brewery, because this was easily the sweetest NE IPA I have had so far, with no redeeming features whatsoever - ok, so it didn't taste like grapefruit juice. Here's what the blurb on the can said: New England IPA 6.2% Abv 440ml A half-remembered dream of sipping tropical haze on a faraway extraterrestrial craft. Dry-hopped with a concoction of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe. Vague Vessel will transport your consciousness back to the multi-coloured expanse in the distant heavens.

    Like I said, you can't knock it if you don't try it. So I tried it, and now I'm here to knock it. This is a poor excuse for a beer. If I want to "transport my consciousness back to the multi-coloured expanse in the distant heavens" I think I'd rather go for magic mushrooms. If I want a beer, I think magic mushrooms are still a better option than this bollocks.
    Come On You Hatters!

  2. #512
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Avoiding the pub today because I was with my daughter and her boyfriend - she reckons she is getting enough exposure to possible pathogens (she's a school teacher) without going to pubs too - so we picked up a few bottles and cans from near her place. I quite liked the look of a can of Dry & Bitter Vague Vessel 6.2% from Denmark, but when I opened it there was a smell of lemony sweetness. I was misled by the name of the brewery, because this was easily the sweetest NE IPA I have had so far, with no redeeming features whatsoever - ok, so it didn't taste like grapefruit juice. Here's what the blurb on the can said: New England IPA 6.2% Abv 440ml A half-remembered dream of sipping tropical haze on a faraway extraterrestrial craft. Dry-hopped with a concoction of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe. Vague Vessel will transport your consciousness back to the multi-coloured expanse in the distant heavens.

    Like I said, you can't knock it if you don't try it. So I tried it, and now I'm here to knock it. This is a poor excuse for a beer. If I want to "transport my consciousness back to the multi-coloured expanse in the distant heavens" I think I'd rather go for magic mushrooms. If I want a beer, I think magic mushrooms are still a better option than this bollocks.
    Should have gone down the pub and had a pint of Black Sheep Bitter.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #513
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Should have gone down the pub and had a pint of Black Sheep Bitter.
    You're not wrong. (Still not sure it would have transported my consciousness back to the multi-coloured expanse in the distant heavens, but I can live with that.)
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #514
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,394

    Default

    Back in lockdown.Mrs not happy about me going out to pubs.Only been out twice .Drinking indoors has lost its appeal for me.
    tonight
    yeastie boys -gunnammatta 7./10
    curious -cuvee ipa 7/10
    northern monk -faith 8/10
    wiper and true -milk stout 8/10
    had a w+t milk stout explode on me tonight.What a mess.
    all beers from Majestic wine .Good prices for beer

  5. #515
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default Last night at Sheffield Hatter's Inn

    Temporarily relocated to a campsite outside Skipton. Beers of the day were La Goudale 7% and Westmalle Triple 9.5%. Both from nearby Morrison's supermarket. The first one went down well with my meal, then I walked into town along the Leeds Liverpool Canal. The Albion Bar has a very good Butcombe Bitter as a regular, and I managed to get back along the canal towpath in the gathering gloom to drink the second beer that was awaiting me at my tent. This one in celebration of the Hatters escaping relegation. Unfortunately the long grass caused the 33cl bottle to tip over before it had all arrived safely in my mug, but I took this as being representative of most of our season, and didn't cry too much.
    Come On You Hatters!

  6. #516
    This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    1,484

    Default

    We have been busy with cans and bottles throughout lockdown, trying Beer52 selection which are ok as starters in our garden, but getting beers from Amundsen Desert in a can range which at 10.5% are delicious and even the Barrel Aged versions at 11.5%% from a decent off licence nearby. Also Tiny Rebel Stay Puft range of Imperial Marshmallow Porters at 9%.

    Been out to Birmingham pubs a couple of times to do a few, but range not too decent yet but cask ale is cask ale and all beers have been welcome.

    Considering we never bothered drinking much at home we have had a beer shelf full for a few weeks, will be hard to give up a pale starter and a divine finisher once we get used to going out again.

    Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

  7. #517
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Drinkswell has a better selection, with only a few "unavailable", but slightly pricier. I've ordered seven Trappist beers, then did a little browse in the English beers section, and picked up two from Richmond brewery (Drummer Boy & Stump Cross Ale), which is a new one for me, one each from Treboom (Kettle Drum) and Wensleydale (Black Dub), doubled up to two of each @ £2.95 and my total order came to £55 (inc. £8 delivery charge).
    These two from Richmond brewery were the only bad beers I've had at home since lockdown started. I had the first bottle of Drummer Boy on 29 July and it was cloudy and didn't taste right. This was a whole month after I received the order, and plenty of beers I had delivered were fine to drink the same day, so it wasn't that it was shook up. Then last night I went for my first bottle of the other Richmond beer, Stump Cross Ale, and it was just the same. The Wensleydale Black Dub was ok, but I haven't tried the Treboom Kettle Drum yet. Neither of the Richmond beers were anywhere near to their BBE dates, so it looks like there's a fault at the brewery or bottling plant. I'll open the second bottles of those two, but I think they might end up being poured from glass to sink if they're the same as the first ones.
    Come On You Hatters!

  8. #518
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    will be hard to give up a pale starter and a divine finisher once we get used to going out again.

    Gill
    I guess you could still leave those bookends in place Gill, either side of the pub(s) visit..?
    Though you have some serious abv there!

  9. #519
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    These two from Richmond brewery were the only bad beers I've had at home since lockdown started. I had the first bottle of Drummer Boy on 29 July and it was cloudy and didn't taste right. This was a whole month after I received the order, and plenty of beers I had delivered were fine to drink the same day, so it wasn't that it was shook up. Then last night I went for my first bottle of the other Richmond beer, Stump Cross Ale, and it was just the same. The Wensleydale Black Dub was ok, but I haven't tried the Treboom Kettle Drum yet. Neither of the Richmond beers were anywhere near to their BBE dates, so it looks like there's a fault at the brewery or bottling plant. I'll open the second bottles of those two, but I think they might end up being poured from glass to sink if they're the same as the first ones.
    I’ve often found Richmond and especially Great Yorkshire to be poor in bottle, I wonder if they’re bottled in the same place?
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  10. #520
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I’ve often found Richmond and especially Great Yorkshire to be poor in bottle, I wonder if they’re bottled in the same place?
    I've not had that experience of Great Yorkshire, and I've had a few Monkmans Slaughter bottles (though not recently) but this Richmond experience was not of a beer that does not suit being in bottle, but of a beer, no: two beers, that were downright awful and clearly faulty. Ah well, c'est la vie.

    Given the locations of the two breweries, the possibility that they use the same bottlers is perhaps not a remote one.
    Come On You Hatters!

Similar Threads

  1. What Pub v Pubs Galore
    By gillhalfpint in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 17-01-2015, 09:22
  2. Pubs Galore App
    By Alesonly in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-2013, 13:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •