Ads not shown when logged in
Page 83 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    ...what does cedar wood taste or smell like?
    I don't think cedar is there for flavour, rather it's to deter unwanted guests.

Siren Midnight Mischief.jpg
    A Nitro Milk Stout at 4.7% abv requiring the hard pour technique that results in a very smooth drinkable stout, nothing is in your face just subtle Mocha, praline and vanilla.
    Very pleasant. 8/10.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Default This week at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn

Most of the beers I've had this week have been old favourites, but here are three new ones:

Thursday

Salt Hexagon Project #2 Barley Wine 10.9% - “aged for over 12 months in Australian Whisky Casks from Starward Whisky, a Melbourne based distillery which matures whisky in Australian red wine barrels. The Barrels are used to age this beer and impart their signature fruity flavours of red berries, orchard fruits, vanilla, caramel and soft oak spice.” This is one of four beers that I bought from Salt brewery in the same series, and the first one I have drunk. In a 440ml can, this is quite a hefty chunk of alcohol, and it certainly tastes like it. On the whole I found this an enjoyable drink, though perhaps a little harsh compared with most of the barley wines I've had. I guess this relative harshness is from the wine/whisky casks, but it was on the whole a decent beer nevertheless. (After I had finished this one, I went on to Harveys Christmas Ale 7.5%, a barley wine which is much smoother.)

Friday

Buxton Capablanca (2020 Barrel Masters) 11%, a scotch barrel aged imperial porter. In a 33cl can this is less daunting than the Hexagon beer the other night. It pours very smooth and black, and drinks very smooth too. My only criticism of this beer would be that there is a little too much chocolate about it. OK, so at £10.95 for a small can, this is pretty expensive but just for once I think it was worth it. I followed this up on the night with another Harveys beer, their very good Imperial Extra Double Stout 9%, which has the chocolate dialled down much lower.

Sunday

Salt x Docks Beers Bowline, described as a 6.6% East India Porter, with seven malts and three hops: simcoe, citra and centennial. I don't know what an East India Porter is, but this tasted to me like a Black IPA, and a most enjoyable one. It seems to me that the hops and the malt are in perfect balance, with the astringency of the hops and the smoothness of the malts blended in total harmony. The 440ml can was priced at just £3.50 direct from the brewery, which seems like a pretty good deal, and luckily I ordered two.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Last nights beers
    vocation -bread and butter not sure if I have had this before but I expected better 7/10
    arbor - all the mo,s. ipa with 3 hops.not bad but a bit harsh.Think Arbor are better suited to cask beer.7.5 Arbor beers come in pint tins which is a nice change.

This Space For Hire

cont
    Brass Castle -wallop .A Yorkshire stingo.This tasted quite fruity and ciderish like a cask beer that's been on for 6 or 7 dayd.Only drank half then poured the rest in the drain.Shame as I was looking forward to this.

This Space For Hire

cont.
    I am a sucker for new beer but sometimes its the old fav that raise the bar
    Sam Smith -oatmeal stout 8/10 lovely smooth quaffable beer Also a pint bottle .

Tonight I started with Dark Revolution Mercury Rising.jpg 6.2% and supposedly a NEIPA, murky yes but I found the body too thin for what I recognise as this style, this seems to be a trait in their beers, good hop flavour but a little disappointing. 6.5/10
    I followed this (still following) with a big boy, Vibrant Forest Umbral Abyss.jpg, an Imperial Coffee Stout weighing in at 11.5%, the can promises this-
    "Umbral Abyss is a very rich and decadent experience with a dense aroma of coffee which is followed by thick malts, figs and liquorice. The flavour follows suit with supremely viscous lashings of oak, charred malts and molasses joining the pantheon. Enter the Abyss."
    The Coffee's there but there is far too much Liquorice coming through for my taste, there is no doubt though that this is a well crafted beer and It's strength is hitting home as I write, thankfully I have a day off tomorrow. 8/10
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

Just the one beer tonight, but a pretty good one: it's a subtle New England IPA by UnBarred, a brewery based in my birthplace: Brighton. This one's called, erm, I've no idea what it's called as there is no name on the can. It's a very attractive can, all monochrome photos of waves breaking on the shore somewhere but I've no idea where. Somewhere in New England, I guess.

The hops are amarillo, azacca and el dorado according to the panel on the side. Hold on - could that be the name of the beer? UnBarred Amarillo, Azacca and El Dorado NEIPA 7%. Oops, missed the bit in the panel above: #01.21. So, it's their January 2021 NEIPA. It tastes much like any other NEIPA to be honest, but I've got to give them credit for making it fairly subtle, though in fact it still tastes like fruit juice to me*. And the only hint that it's got alcohol in it is that you feel more woozy after drinking it than you did before. Cheers.

Wait a minute, here's their website: "...this belter of a beer brings peaches, apricots and tangerine zest together in a smooth, soft, lightly bitter New England not to be missed!" Apricots! Yeah, too true. Hey, I got this for £4.95 for a 440ml can at the bottle shop in Sheffield's Moor Market, but they're advertising it on their website for £5.10 - so this beer is an actual bargain! And I got a 5% loyalty discount. Woo hoo!

* Pale Malt, Naked Oats, Flaked Oats, Malted Wheat were also involved, or had some peripheral involvement in the making of this product. But, hey, at least it's vegan. Is it bed time yet?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    It's a very attractive can, all monochrome photos of waves breaking on the shore somewhere but I've no idea where. Somewhere in New England, I guess.
    A very pretty can and nice to see a monochrome label for once, not one that looks like a still from The Simpsons.

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

Tonight's beer is a magnificent 12.5% Imperial Stout from North Brewing in collaboration with Mikkeller. This 440ml can cost £7.50 from Beer Central. First impression is of a massively alcoholic beverage, seemingly stronger than the advertised abv. Made with barley, oats and wheat, and with added cinnamon, cocoa, coffee and vanilla as well as the expected hops and yeast. I was drinking this one fairly slowly, as you might imagine, and after enjoying the first quarter or third of the can, I began to feel that the chocolate was a bit overwhelming, and my enjoyment declined.

This is a fault that I suppose I pick out quite a lot in these modern beers, and it's particularly faulty in this one. I'm a great fan of subtlety, and I'm afraid there's nothing subtle about this beer. Take, for example, breweries that don't add actual coffee and cocoa to their imperial stouts, like Harveys, Pohjala and The Kernel: those flavours come instead from chocolate malt, and balance, subtlety and complexity come from the yeast, hops and barrel ageing. Those are beers that I'll buy again; not so much this one from North x Mikkeller.
    Come On You Hatters!