Ads not shown when logged in
Page 18 of 94 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've been in a pub today!

It's all right, no one was breaking the law. Off-sales only. The Gardeners Rest, which initially closed with (most of) the rest on 20 March (some set up take out services), has had a re-think about all the untapped barrels in their cellar. An email was sent out this week to all shareholders (it's a community-owned pub), inviting us to come on down this weekend, when two beers per day are available to take out at just £2 a pint. I was there this afternoon and bought four pints of Joules Slumbering Monk 4.5%. Potential customers have to queue (two metres apart) on the pavement outside, with one person at a time entering the pub and paying for their beer with contactless payment. (Service is not limited to shareholders, it's just the publicity that's limited. If it spreads by word of mouth, more beer gets sold. But they don't want hundreds of people all turning up at the same time. Just three hours per day: Sat 3-6, Sun 12-3. Maybe Mon.)

Happy days!
    More beer from the Gardeners today: Joules Pale Ale 4.1%, which I've always thought of as fairly ordinary in a pub, but it seems to me a better beer served this way: no sparkler, poured into a plastic container and carried in a rucksack uphill for a mile before decanting into a glass. Probably won't catch on.
    Come On You Hatters!

Planning on restocking the cellar here at the Wittenden's Retreat. has anyone any experience of beer made with kveik yeast? It has been discussed on various blogs, but I've never tried it. Good Things brewing does one:https://shop.goodthingsbrewing.co/co...ain-brewing-co

I've been enjoying the stash of their IPAs and PAs that I ordered the other week.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    has anyone any experience of beer made with kveik yeast? It has been discussed on various blogs, but I've never tried it. Good Things brewing does one:https://shop.goodthingsbrewing.co/co...ain-brewing-co
    I've seen one on the shelf at my local bottle shop (The Dram Shop) but didn't know anything about it. Did some reading today and thought I'd try one next time I'm out shopping for essentials.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Planning on restocking the cellar here at the Wittenden's Retreat. has anyone any experience of beer made with kveik yeast? It has been discussed on various blogs, but I've never tried it. Good Things brewing does one:https://shop.goodthingsbrewing.co/co...ain-brewing-co

I've been enjoying the stash of their IPAs and PAs that I ordered the other week.
    I have had 4 or 5 and was led to believe that it gives a fruity taste.Cant say it makes much difference but 4 out of the five were good beers.Both my local microbrewers had had a go and both good.Last one was Fearless Nomad (brewing in the Black Dog Brentford) who did a dark mild with kviek and was really good but sadly it was only on the bar 2 days before the closedown.Had a decent keg beer from Good Things in the Mitre Richmond and the landlord told me the couple who brew the beer in Kent have a flat around the corner from the pub and sometimes pop in .

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I score a rare maximum 10/10 for the Review. I will score Bar Brentford after tasting the Party Seven!

PS- I hope Mine Host has sacked Bloody Nora for incompetence and recommended her to Tim for a job!
    Sadly Tim has furloughed her that's why she is haunting me.

This Space For Hire

Tried Adnams -Triple English Hop which was well dull.Made with surplus bread from M&S so here were the ingredients
    hops ,water,barley,malted bread,wheat flour,calcium carbonate,iron ,niacin,thiamin,malted wheat flakes,wheat bran,yeast,vitamin d yeast,salt,emulsifier,e472e,e471,rapeseed oil,absorbic acid and oats. Yep just traditional ingredients.
    My son in law called it Triple English Flop. Not far wrong there.

This Space For Hire

Last night I exhumed a rather out-of-date bottle of St Peters Plum Porter. The flavour was still good but the carbonation had all gone to buggery, so it wasn't great.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

I've decided to use this opportunity to go to all the local supermarkets and try their wares, as I rarely drink at home bar sharing the Beer52 box with the missus. Living in central Reading I'm lucky enough to have a Lidl, Sainsdburys, Aldi, Waitrose, Tesco and M&S within walking distance.

I'll post-up any that take my fancy. Hopefully there'll be the odd gem or two...

This Space For Hire

My 48 cans of Vocation Smash and Grab arrived this morning. I've not even got through one third of their Imperial Stout yet!

Paul at Pictish Brewery in Rochdale is doing 5 litre Beer In A Box for £15, directly from the brewery doorway.

He can do 50 per day and sold out today. Luckily he'll have some more ready tomorrow. Choice of 4 of his beers as well.

I think Paul's going to survive this.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas