Ads not shown when logged in
Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Tonight's beer is a magnificent 12.5% Imperial Stout from North Brewing in collaboration with Mikkeller. This 440ml can cost £7.50 from Beer Central. First impression is of a massively alcoholic beverage, seemingly stronger than the advertised abv. Made with barley, oats and wheat, and with added cinnamon, cocoa, coffee and vanilla as well as the expected hops and yeast. I was drinking this one fairly slowly, as you might imagine, and after enjoying the first quarter or third of the can, I began to feel that the chocolate was a bit overwhelming, and my enjoyment declined.

This is a fault that I suppose I pick out quite a lot in these modern beers, and it's particularly faulty in this one. I'm a great fan of subtlety, and I'm afraid there's nothing subtle about this beer. Take, for example, breweries that don't add actual coffee and cocoa to their imperial stouts, like Harveys, Pohjala and The Kernel: those flavours come instead from chocolate malt, and balance, subtlety and complexity come from the yeast, hops and barrel ageing. Those are beers that I'll buy again; not so much this one from North x Mikkeller.
    Was all sounding good to me until you mentioned cinnamon , a no no for me.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Was all sounding good to me until you mentioned cinnamon , a no no for me.
    I didn't notice the cinnamon, despite the fact that it was listed in the ingredients before the cocoa and coffee, which usually indicates there's more of it - which I find hard to believe. I didn't get much coffee either, but perhaps this is because I'm particularly sensitive to chocolate - it's that crude cocoa powder taste that I associate with drinking hot chocolate when I was a kid. I've had porters with added coffee grounds, which are also pretty revolting, in my opinion. Reinheitsgebot über alles! (Of course, with your aversion to cinnamon, that would have been the dominant flavour if you were drinking this beer!)
    Come On You Hatters!

A delivery of stouts and porters from Beercraft in late Jan / early Feb included 3 of Tiny Rebel's Stay Puft Imperial Stout variants which I decided to give a try to tonight. I thought about calling my venue K's Bar, but I was reminded of this place in Dunstable I'd visited approaching five years ago, so thought better of it.

Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Imperial Irish Coffee Marshmallow Porter (9.0%)
    The beer from this kiddie can poured rather flat with no head, and had a light nose of coffee with a residual hint of marshmallow. A subtle coffee mouthfeel was dampened by the marshmallow, the aftertaste solely boozy coffee. Probably the most drinkable of the three.

Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Imperial Honey Glazed Ham Marshmallow Porter (9.0%)
    Wasn't sure what to expect with this one. If anything, I was expecting perhaps a hint of ham – "Imperial Stay Puft poured over honey glazed ham" the can stated. Poured with a faint head which soon died down, but what was most noticeable was the smell which initially seemed artificial but soon gave way to something of a whiff of strong bacon crisps – my other half was continually carping about the smell until I'd finally seen it off. An aftertaste of honey-glazed ham and no hint of marshmallow that I could discern. A novelty, and likely a 'seemed like a good idea at the time' job, but probably more a contender for Bloody Awful Beer of the Week.

Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Imperial Mint Chocolate Marshmallow Porter (9.0%)
    The most effervescent of the three, this had a strong After Eights / Bendick's mints flavour – both in mouthfeel and aftertaste, over-powering anything else. Glad I ended on this and not the Honey Glazed Ham version as at least this one acted as a kind of palate-cleanser to finish the night off.
    Last edited by Komakino; 19-02-2021 at 16:47.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Imperial Honey Glazed Marshmallow Porter (9.0%)
    Wasn't sure what to expect with this one. If anything, I was expecting perhaps a hint of ham – "Imperial Stay Puft poured over honey glazed ham" the can stated. Poured with a faint head which soon died down, but what was most noticeable was the smell which initially seemed artificial but soon gave way to something of a whiff of strong bacon crisps – my other half was continually carping about the smell until I'd finally seen it off. An aftertaste of honey-glazed ham and no hint of marshmallow that I could discern. A novelty, and likely a 'seemed like a good idea at the time' job, but probably more a contender for Bloody Awful Beer of the Week.
    Thanks for drinking that one so that we don't have to! Actually, as a vegetarian/nearly vegan I wouldn't have gone anywhere near that beer. Just goes to show there are worse things than peanut butter.
    Come On You Hatters!

Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Imperial Irish Coffee Marshmallow Porter (9.0%)
    Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Imperial Honey Glazed Ham Marshmallow Porter (9.0%)
    Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Imperial Mint Chocolate Marshmallow Porter (9.0%)
    I had an elderly relative who would profer the word "lawks" in extremis, and certainly well before getting anywhere near three cans with the dreaded phrase 'Stay Puft' inscribed upon them...

This Space For Hire

Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Imperial Honey Glazed Ham Marshmallow Porter...but what was most noticeable was the smell which initially seemed artificial but soon gave way to something of a whiff of strong bacon crisps – my other half was continually carping about the smell until I'd finally seen it off.
    I like bacon as much as the next person - almost - but dear God: beer that smells of bacon? Stay Puft? Stay Away, more like.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Thanks for drinking that one so that we don't have to! Actually, as a vegetarian/nearly vegan I wouldn't have gone anywhere near that beer. Just goes to show there are worse things than peanut butter.
    Are you sure? I think I've had this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Are you sure? I think I've had this one.
    It mentions Stilton perfume, not sure that ever caught on!
    -W.C.Fields

Forget the jab, I'm having a beer and for starters is The Kernel Pale Ale Mosaic.jpgby The Kernel who in my opinion sit at the top table of British brewers. This particular beer comes in a 330ml bottle and fairly well carbonated but not excessively so, crisp and clean drinking , the unmistakable hop character is present in abundance, not everyone's favourite hop I know, (OB), but I could happily drink this all night long. 9/10.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Forget the jab, I'm having a beer and for starters is The Kernel Pale Ale Mosaic.jpgby The Kernel who in my opinion sit at the top table of British brewers. This particular beer comes in a 330ml bottle and fairly well carbonated but not excessively so, crisp and clean drinking , the unmistakable hop character is present in abundance, not everyone's favourite hop I know, (OB), but I could happily drink this all night long. 9/10.
    I'd be interested in getting hold of that one, because if anyone can make a decent beer with mosaic hops, The Kernel can.
    Come On You Hatters!