Ads not shown when logged in
Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 607

Thread: pubs galore bar

  1. #551
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Well the tasting notes sound an improvement, and no hammer and screwdriver required.
    Half the fun was watching my dad doing battle with his, armed only with a screwdriver and hammer, spume going everywhere. Barnes Wallace had to open his by getting 617 Squadron to slam them into the wall of a dam.

  2. #552
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Half the fun was watching my dad doing battle with his, armed only with a screwdriver and hammer, spume going everywhere. Barnes Wallace had to open his by getting 617 Squadron to slam them into the wall of a dam.
    New current incarnation appears to be a standard 5L mini-keg, the question is who's brewing (?) the liquid inside? I would suspect it'll be some badge engineering of a run of the mill BBB. Other than the grapefruit/pine referred to in the tasting notes it could be London Pride (Orange marmalade being a frequent reference in tasting notes). Of course Doombar would be cheap and nasty enough to substitute for the original pish, (apologies to Retired Martin).
    Last edited by oldboots; 07-10-2020 at 18:36.
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  3. #553
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Of course Doombar would be cheap and nasty enough to substitute for the original pish, (apologies to Retired Martin).
    Save your apologies - in one of today's posts he had a pint (a pint!) of John Smiths Extra Cold Crap in a Craft Union pub in Hitchin.
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #554
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    New current incarnation appears to be a standard 5L mini-keg, the question is who's brewing (?) the liquid inside? I would suspect it'll be some badge engineering of a run of the mill BBB. Other than the grapefruit/pine referred to in the tasting notes it could be London Pride (Orange marmalade being a frequent reference in tasting notes). Of course Doombar would be cheap and nasty enough to substitute for the original pish, (apologies to Retired Martin).
    I believe the current Watneys beers are brewed by Sambrooks, not tried the party 7 but some of the beers are passable if not great.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  5. #555
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Save your apologies - in one of today's posts he had a pint (a pint!) of John Smiths Extra Cold Crap in a Craft Union pub in Hitchin.
    He deserves everything he gets.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  6. #556
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Don't let the Watneys name put you off.I have had 5 or 6 Watneys beers brewed as Moby suggested at Sambrookes and nearly all have been good.Far better than Sambrookes imo.

  7. #557
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Don't let the Watneys name put you off.I have had 5 or 6 Watneys beers brewed as Moby suggested at Sambrookes and nearly all have been good.Far better than Sambrookes imo.
    Are they historical recreations? My father was a young thing briefly in the London of the late 1920s, and always said that Watneys was good at the time, unlike in the 70s,when I and everyone else was running them down.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  8. #558
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Are they historical recreations? My father was a young thing briefly in the London of the late 1920s, and always said that Watneys was good at the time, unlike in the 70s,when I and everyone else was running them down.
    No, the only similarity is the name, ironic humour I guess.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  9. #559
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Save your apologies - in one of today's posts he had a pint (a pint!) of John Smiths Extra Cold Crap in a Craft Union pub in Hitchin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    He deserves everything he gets.
    I believe Quinno is of the opinion that NHSMartin is just trolling Bass and Doombar rather than having poor taste in beer.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Are they historical recreations? My father was a young thing briefly in the London of the late 1920s, and always said that Watneys was good at the time, unlike in the 70s,when I and everyone else was running them down.

    I worked with a bloke in the 1970s who said the same thing, pre-war Watneys was good beer.
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  10. #560
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I believe Quinno is of the opinion that NHSMartin is just trolling Bass and Doombar rather than having poor taste in beer.




    There is no doubt he's on a wind up but on the occasions I've drunk with him he actually seems to like the stuff.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Similar Threads

  1. What Pub v Pubs Galore
    By gillhalfpint in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 17-01-2015, 09:22
  2. Pubs Galore App
    By Alesonly in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-2013, 13:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •