Ads not shown when logged in
Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 607

Thread: pubs galore bar

  1. #541
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    Was referring to central London when I mentioned the dearth of cask
    Craft beer covent gdn 2 cask usually 8
    craft beer old street -no cask
    old fountain 3 on usually 6
    rake 1 on 3
    market porter 3 on 8
    lyric 4 on 8
    waterloo tap 2 on 5
    and loads of pubs with just Doombar

  2. #542
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    The way things are going pubs would be crazy to stock much cask.This 10pm closing is another nail in the coffin for central London pubs and bars who do a roaring trade on fri sat

  3. #543
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    I have had a cold and have felt shit the last few days but I have always thought alcohol helps.Delusional maybe be it seems to work for me.
    tonight from Morrisons
    thornebridge -pon dera
    salt -one through three
    brew York -juice forsyth
    kirkstall --provedence
    I have listed the beers in order that I think would be best but totally wrong
    brewyork -8.25/10
    kirkstall 8/10
    salt -7.5/10
    thornebridge -7.5/10
    great beers .

  4. #544
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have had a cold and have felt shit the last few days but I have always thought alcohol helps.Delusional maybe be it seems to work for me.
    Well, looking on the bright side, if you haven't lost your sense of taste/smell then you probably haven't got Covid-19.

    I've been making a start on the beers I brought back with me from Harviestoun Brewery when I was on holiday in Scotland. I must admit I didn't know their beers apart from Bitter & Twisted, which I can remember from back in the 90s - or maybe the late 80s, even; and I once paid a ridiculous amount for Old Engine Oil on keg at St Pancras Hotel; I've got half a dozen bottles of B&T, and a dozen small cans of OEO.

    Tonight I had Forth 4% (lager), Schiehallion 4.8% (lager) and the imaginitively named IPA 5.8%, according to the label an American style IPA, but I thought it was rather like a Worthington White Shield. These were all in a selection box together with some others that I'll get around to in due course, so watch this space. All were well made beers with nothing outrageous about them, and in the case of the lagers, nothing to change me from a lifelong bitter drinker. I finished the IPA (it was only a 33cl bottle) nearly half an hour ago, and I can still taste that bitter finish, so I might have to get some more. But this time they can get a courier to bring it to me; I'm not driving all the way up there again.
    Come On You Hatters!

  5. #545
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Well, looking on the bright side, if you haven't lost your sense of taste/smell then you probably haven't got Covid-19.

    I've been making a start on the beers I brought back with me from Harviestoun Brewery when I was on holiday in Scotland. I must admit I didn't know their beers apart from Bitter & Twisted, which I can remember from back in the 90s - or maybe the late 80s, even; and I once paid a ridiculous amount for Old Engine Oil on keg at St Pancras Hotel; I've got half a dozen bottles of B&T, and a dozen small cans of OEO.

    Tonight I had Forth 4% (lager), Schiehallion 4.8% (lager) and the imaginitively named IPA 5.8%, according to the label an American style IPA, but I thought it was rather like a Worthington White Shield. These were all in a selection box together with some others that I'll get around to in due course, so watch this space. All were well made beers with nothing outrageous about them, and in the case of the lagers, nothing to change me from a lifelong bitter drinker. I finished the IPA (it was only a 33cl bottle) nearly half an hour ago, and I can still taste that bitter finish, so I might have to get some more. But this time they can get a courier to bring it to me; I'm not driving all the way up there again.
    I remember the first time I had Bitter and Twisted. It was the first time I had a citrus beer and was raving about it.Shame the cheapskate Landlord in my local pub refused to pay the price to get it regularly. It seemed to become a mundane tasting beer within a year or so as they ramped up production of it.Sad how iconic beers can get fecked about with.

  6. #546
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I remember the first time I had Bitter and Twisted.
    I too remember the first time I had Bitter and Twisted, but not where. I do remember that it was shockingly priced, so as I said in my review: bitter and twisted is how I felt after buying it.

  7. #547
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I too remember the first time I had Bitter and Twisted, but not where. I do remember that it was shockingly priced, so as I said in my review: bitter and twisted is how I felt after buying it.
    Probably 2004/2005 so about £2.20 to £2.50 a pint.

  8. #548
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,329

    Default Last night at Sheffield Hatter's Inn

    With the late cancellation of an arranged pub visit last night, I decided to have a look instead at some of the beers that have been hiding away in my cupboard-under-the-stairs. These three caught my eye:

    Bragdy Lleu Gwydion, a 4.7% malty Welsh beer that I bought online from Stori Beers in Bala around 25 June, was actually past its best before date, having September 2020 stamped on the shoulder of the bottle. From the same order, Mad Dog Brewing K9 Triplephenia American/Belgian IPA 7% was dated November, but both beers were in excellent condition, the first one straight from my beer store, the other given an hour in the fridge. The contrasting styles would have made an interesting pairing, as I tend to do in pubs when faced with a couple of unknown beers and have a half of each, taking alternate sips, but I felt that the Mad Dog would benefit from being a little colder.

    The Welsh beer was a pleasant drink, not at all over-carbonated. Not much in the way of hops in evidence, but this brewer seems to know how to get the best out of the malts. (Their website is not at all specific about the malts and hops used in their beers, unfortunately.) I've got another one of these, I think, but despite the expiry of the best before date I am in no hurry to drink it, not because I didn't like it but because I want to have one to look forward to.

    The American/Belgian IPA didn't have much of the Belgian about it as far as I could see. It was quite lively, but soon settled down in the glass and just had a fairly pleasant bubbliness on the tongue. Quite a decent flavour, with the hops (mandarina bavaria, mosaic and summit) not being too forward for my taste, while still being recognisably in the American style.

    I rounded the evening off with La Trappe Quadrupel, a 10% Abbey beer (with a best before date still two years in the future) that was very much like an English barley wine except for the distinctive Belgian finish in the swallow, and the slightly lively bubbles in the glass and on the tongue. I got this one at about the same time as the other two, from Drinkswell in Ripon on the recommendation of oldboots, so thanks for that. (I've still got quite a few Belgian/Trappist beers to get through, as their arrival pretty much coincided with pubs reopening.) This is probably my favourite of the Abbey beers that I've had so far, so I might get some more in preparation for any future closure of the pubs.

    Three very different but in their own way very enjoyable beers.
    Come On You Hatters!

  9. #549
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Apologies if it's been flagged up here before, but this just flashed across my consciousness and sent an involuntary shudder down my spine. I would hope completely unjustified now, but those of a certain age will know what I mean. I might just have to get one to see - bit pricey though.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

  10. #550
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Apologies if it's been flagged up here before, but this just flashed across my consciousness and sent an involuntary shudder down my spine. I would hope completely unjustified now, but those of a certain age will know what I mean. I might just have to get one to see - bit pricey though.
    Well the tasting notes sound an improvement, and no hammer and screwdriver required.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Similar Threads

  1. What Pub v Pubs Galore
    By gillhalfpint in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 17-01-2015, 09:22
  2. Pubs Galore App
    By Alesonly in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-2013, 13:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •