Ads not shown when logged in
Page 38 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    If I recover, I shall have a go at the barley wine too.
    I forgot to mention that both the Imperial Stout and the Elizabethan Ale are in nips (275ml), which pour into my brim measure half-pint glasses with only about 2mm to spare, which gives an idea of how much short of a half we (used to) get in pubs, where a 1cm head would be the best you could hope for.

Elizabethan Ale was so called because it was brewed to celebrate the coronation in 1953, and the blurb on the bottle suggests it was modelled on, or "reminiscent of", a 16th century October Ale. Whatever, it's a 7.5% barley wine, and one of the best I've had. (My favourite is Coniston brewery's No.9, which is a little stronger at 8.5%.) After pouring the head is quick to vanish, but the beer has a delightful fizz to it, like a well-conditioned cask beer rather than one from a bottle. The beer has an unusual colour, like a coke mixed with apple juice (it's ok, no one's going to ask you to drink it), but with just a few tiny bubbles. The taste is complex, as you'd expect, with sweetness from the malt doing battle with the bitterness of the hops, and the alcohol joining in from time to time in a three part harmony. I feel a little drunk.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Always found a half of Doombar tastes better than a pint.Might just be one of my foibles.
    Generally speaking, none at all tastes even better!
    Come On You Hatters!

Thinking I might get some of this for my next blind tasting session: https://www.brewdog.com/uk/barnard-castle-eye-test (All profits will go to funding production of free sanitiser for the NHS & Health Care Charities.)
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Always found a half of Doombar tastes better than a pint.Might just be one of my foibles.
    And if you enjoyed that, then you'll love this baby, spotted today in my local supermarket for an enticing £1.30 per bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    A delivery from Harveys of Lewes today: a case of 12 cans of their stout, going cheap because near to the best before date; 12 bottles of their Imperial Russian Stout, which is based on the brew made at the Latvian brewery founded by the Belgian, Albert Le Coq (the label on the bottle is a facsimile); and 12 bottles of Elizabethan Ale, a barley wine.
    A third box turned up today, with 12 more nips, this time of their Christmas Ale, which is another 7.5% barley wine.

It looks very much like the Elizabethan Ale in colour, and has a similar slightly frisky bubbliness on the tongue, though the bubbles are a bit bigger and more concentrated in the glass. Very smooth in the mouth, but with much less bitterness than the Elizabethan. Hints of maybe a bit of Christmas cake, but nothing to get either exceited or condemnatory about, then a very short finish of very subtle bitterness. For a Christmas beer (albeit one available all year round), it's very understated and easy to drink. Although it's the same strength, by abv, it doesn't taste so alcoholic as the other barley wine. I feel as though I could manage two or three of these in very short order, because it slips down a treat, but I would probably slip down myself if I did.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Due to a major oversight,I've now only got 4 tins of Vocation Life & Death left to drink tonight,but this beer has been a lockdown saviour and after a hot and sunny day,the perfect thirst quencher .Does exactly what it says on the tin.9/10

2020-05-30 19.12.38.jpg
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Got some stuff delivered from Siren Craft yesterday to make a change from the usual suspects from the supermarkets. Starting off tonight Siren Santo, a 5.0% dry hopped larger, crisp and refreshing. 7.5/10.
    20200530_195240.jpg
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Now moved on to Every Second Matters, a Siren/Green Cheek collaboration, 7.2% Californian IPA, clean drinking, featuring Mosaic, Citra, El Dorado and Simco hops. I like it. 8/10.
    20200530_210654.jpg
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Bought 4 gold/brown bottles from the regional brewers for a change
    Shipyard ipa marstons - bland 6.5/10
    St Austall -proper job -not bad 7/10
    Adnams -ghost ship nicer -7.5/10
    Sheps -1698 strong ale- best of the lot 7.75/10

Son in law gave me 2 x330 ml tins of Brewshed brewery beer .Did not have high hopes based on a beer I had from them recently before lockdown.

brewshed - peach sour -not my style 4/10
    brewshed - cold brew porter 5.5/10

Also had Siren -pompencello a grapefruit sour ipa.Sure I drank this when it first came out and it wasn't a sour.Must be wrong .Drain pour even with 2 teaspoons of sweetner 3/10

Also had Siren -pompencello a grapefruit sour ipa.Sure I drank this when it first came out and it wasn't a sour.Must be wrong .Drain pour even with 2 teaspoons of sweetner 3/10
    Drinking this now,very sharp and very grapefruity, don't mind a sour now and again but ones enough.6/10.
    20200603_180626.jpg
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 03-06-2020 at 18:48.
    -W.C.Fields