Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

2020-03-28 11.14.47.jpg

This is what's available Chez Moi for this evening.Before Aqualung blows a fuse about the inclusion of beer from the Marston's portfolio of breweries ,these were a gift to me from a friend who knows I enjoy beer,but knows very little about beer.They are normally reserved for anyone coming around who only drinks BBB,but in the present circumstances they may as well get consumed.

I have reserves of a lot more Elvis Juice,and am awaiting a delivery of a selection of other beers.

See you all at 7pm
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 28-03-2020 at 10:34.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Worst Pub Crawl Ever

#1 The Hall...
    At least you didn't have to walk far and it seems your beer compass was in full working order.

Worst Pub Crawl Ever
    It's good to be able to laugh about something. I'd forgotten...
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I went for another Black Sheep Imperial Russian 8.5% tonight, but this time I kicked off with a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter 4%, after which the Russian came through at full volume. Very nice.
    ...and followed up with Abbeydale Crossing the Threshold a 6.7% dessert stout, which I had been asssured (by the guy at the Dram Shop) had just the right amount of coconut in it. I commented that a lot of people would think the correct amount of coconut in a stout would be zero, but decided to try it anyway. There's plenty of coconut on the nose, and the initial flavour is pretty strong on coconut too, but after that it starts to be more like a normal stout. (I didn't detect any steamed rice cakes, Vietnamese or otherwise.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I have reserves of a lot more Elvis Juice,and am awaiting a delivery of a selection of other beers.
    I know some of you guys swear by, or at least are prepared to try, BrewDog beers. I've tried, but can't get on their wavelength. I once had a sip of Punk IPA, when a server poured it having misheard a request for GK IPA, and it tasted like Fanta (or possibly Orangina). I tried to drink a half of Dead Pony Club several years ago, but it was too disgusting and I poured it into the urinal. And I went into their pub in Sheffield when it first opened, and compared the Punk IPA I had then to tangerine peel and WD40.

I think part of the problem is nominative determinism. Like I can't imagine going into a bar called Slug & Lettuce and ordering a salad. Yeuk! As a vegetarian, I hesitate just for a nanosecond before entering a pub called the Butchers Arms. (I know it's silly, you don't have to tell me!)

And of course Elvis Juice sounds like it's been brewed using the decomposing remains of a famous pop star after they have dripped through a crack in his coffin. Double yeuk!!! Now, I know they're just trying to shock, and their beers are meant to appeal to the sort of people (punks?) who think that shocking people who are old enough to be their parents/grandparents is a really fun thing to do, and shows how cool you are. To me it just means that I don't have to decide whether to drink one of their beers; same as it never occurs to me to cross the threshold of a Slug & Lettuce. It decides itself, as far as I'm concerned.

Just like you would never let a pint of something called Boring Brown Bitter pass your lips!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    See you all at 7pm
    I might be there a little earlier. I can hear a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter calling...
    Come On You Hatters!

...and followed up with Abbeydale Crossing the Threshold a 6.7% dessert stout, which I had been asssured (by the guy at the Dram Shop) had just the right amount of coconut in it. I commented that a lot of people would think the correct amount of coconut in a stout would be zero, but decided to try it anyway. There's plenty of coconut on the nose, and the initial flavour is pretty strong on coconut too, but after that it starts to be more like a normal stout. (I didn't detect any steamed rice cakes, Vietnamese or otherwise.)
    Back in the olden days last month when pubs used to be open, I had a Coconut Stout From Three Castles Brewery, on cask, only a 4%er but bloody gorgeous, not overly coconuty but nice and smooth.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Worst Pub Crawl Ever
    Brilliant stuff. I will just take one exception - I am sure I have been on worse Pub Crawls!
    Last edited by Pangolin; 28-03-2020 at 18:39.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

I know some of you guys swear by, or at least are prepared to try, BrewDog beers. I've tried, but can't get on their wavelength. I once had a sip of Punk IPA, when a server poured it having misheard a request for GK IPA, and it tasted like Fanta (or possibly Orangina). I tried to drink a half of Dead Pony Club several years ago, but it was too disgusting and I poured it into the urinal. And I went into their pub in Sheffield when it first opened, and compared the Punk IPA I had then to tangerine peel and WD40.

I think part of the problem is nominative determinism. Like I can't imagine going into a bar called Slug & Lettuce and ordering a salad. Yeuk! As a vegetarian, I hesitate just for a nanosecond before entering a pub called the Butchers Arms. (I know it's silly, you don't have to tell me!)

And of course Elvis Juice sounds like it's been brewed using the decomposing remains of a famous pop star after they have dripped through a crack in his coffin. Double yeuk!!! Now, I know they're just trying to shock, and their beers are meant to appeal to the sort of people (punks?) who think that shocking people who are old enough to be their parents/grandparents is a really fun thing to do, and shows how cool you are. To me it just means that I don't have to decide whether to drink one of their beers; same as it never occurs to me to cross the threshold of a Slug & Lettuce. It decides itself, as far as I'm concerned.

Just like you would never let a pint of something called Boring Brown Bitter pass your lips!

I might be there a little earlier. I can hear a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter calling...
    As it happens I've just cracked open a bottle of Elvis Juice and my names not even Elvis!
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    As it happens I've just cracked open a bottle of Elvis Juice and my names not even Elvis!
    Will be able to drink Elvis Juice when the bloody stuff eventually arrives. Quoted 3 - 5 days delivery.

Today is day 5, order says still "In Packing".

Sod it, I'll go and drink some Vocation. Got Heart & Soul, Pride & Joy and Life & Death, plus may well nick a glass of Ms CAMRAs red wine.

Good job I don't drink at home normally, still it's not normal at the moment is it?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Evening All !

2020-03-28 19.25.44.jpg

Thought I would start on something sensible before hitting the high ABV.This Brakspear Bitter 3.4% was much better than expected for something lurking at the back of my cupboard.A faint malty nose but nicely balanced with Goldings and Fuggles,maybe the Double Drop process was responsible for a decent beer .6/10.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson