Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 94 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Default Last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn

A couple of so-so beers last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn. I bought a few more cans at the Dram Shop last week, one of them was a saison with rye and nettles from Abbeydale. (Click the blurb image for their idea of what I should have been enjoying.) Didn't really do anything for me. So I thought I'd try something more mainstream, Fullers London Porter, which didn't live up to the high opinion that some people have of this beer. Underwhelming would be my one-word description. Certainly drinkable, quaffable even, but not really much to savour. (The glass is a special edition 24oz jug, celebrating the 100 years of Yates & Jackson brewery in 1978. Only six years later the brewery was no more.)
    Come On You Hatters!

The drought is broken!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200331_220625s.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	607.3 KB 
ID:	1984
    Turns out I was this local brewery's first ever online buyer, happening to check their part-updated website just as the new 'shop' went live...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    A couple of so-so beers last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn. I bought a few more cans at the Dram Shop last week, one of them was a saison with rye and nettles from Abbeydale. (Click the blurb image for their idea of what I should have been enjoying.) Didn't really do anything for me. So I thought I'd try something more mainstream, Fullers London Porter, which didn't live up to the high opinion that some people have of this beer. Underwhelming would be my one-word description. Certainly drinkable, quaffable even, but not really much to savour. (The glass is a special edition 24oz jug, celebrating the 100 years of Yates & Jackson brewery in 1978. Only six years later the brewery was no more.)
    Hope you didn't get stung for that nettle beer.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Back in the 1970s in a pub with just rubbish keg, a friend of mine used to drink Guinness and Cider with a Martini thrown in. Remarkably he was awarded an MBE and I don't think it was for services to drinking!
    MBE= i assume that stands for -might be eccentric

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    MBE= i assume that stands for -might be eccentric
    To be fair he gave up this practice years ago and is more a fan of Belgian beers today. When in Belgium drink Belgian beer is my view.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Hope you didn't get stung for that nettle beer.

I'm afraid all those Abbeydale 440ml cans are a bit pricey. I paid just over £20 for four cans - three Abbeydale, the other one was a Wilde Child/Bad Co Imperial Stout 10.5%
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn

Another Abbeydale can, this time Call to Adventure, an 8.2% double IPA, with ekuanot and mosaic hops. I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would, especially after reading the blurb on the can promising "grapefruit and mango". It was a bit too fruit-juicy for my taste, and didn't really pack the alcoholic heft that the abv suggested, but I must admit to a tinge of regret when the last drop left the glass and hit the back of my throat.

Followed up with the first of my Black Sheep Riggwelters, just nine more to go from last week's delivery. It's an old favourite of mine that I haven't had for a while. I'd been classing it along with Theakstons Old Peculier and Dent Th'Owd Tup - strong, dark beers from the Yorkshire Dales, but in fact Riggwelter is a much drier beer than the other two, which have a bit of sweetness about them. I enjoyed this one - I might have another tonight!
    Come On You Hatters!

Followed up with the first of my Black Sheep Riggwelters.
    It appears that this is a response to Old Peculier. To me it's much better. I don't seem to see it much on cask any more.

...Followed up with the first of my Black Sheep Riggwelters, just nine more to go from last week's delivery. It's an old favourite of mine that I haven't had for a while. I'd been classing it along with Theakstons Old Peculier and Dent Th'Owd Tup - strong, dark beers from the Yorkshire Dales, but in fact Riggwelter is a much drier beer than the other two, which have a bit of sweetness about them...
    You've spotted the main difference between Black Sheep and Theakstons, the difference is particularly noticeable in the Bitters, Theakstons Best is extremely sweet compared to Black Sheep Bitter, that is probably why the locals prefer the Theakstons version.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It appears that this is a response to Old Peculier. To me it's much better. I don't seem to see it much on cask any more.
    Most of Theakstons beers were originally matched by a Black Sheep version when Paul T set up the brewery. I see Riggwelter quite often.......in the Brewery Visitors Centre

Last nights beers for me were a return to bottles after a load of cans.

Weird Beard; Sweet Child O'Pine - excellent, viciously hopped pale.
    Fyne Ales; OC Crush - nasty concoction of orange and cranberry.
    Thornbridge; Tzara - disappointing much better in cask form.
    Wild Beer; Murmur - another disappointment, fairly ordinary.
    Roosters; Yankee (can) - excellent, that's why I bought 24 cans last week
    Rochfort 10 - yes

The children's portion containers don't do these beers any favours, a 500ml would be so much better, except for the OC Crush nothing would save that. None (bar the Rochfort) were over 5% so I don't see the point.