Ads not shown when logged in
Page 56 of 94 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Well the tasting notes sound an improvement, and no hammer and screwdriver required.
    Half the fun was watching my dad doing battle with his, armed only with a screwdriver and hammer, spume going everywhere. Barnes Wallace had to open his by getting 617 Squadron to slam them into the wall of a dam.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Half the fun was watching my dad doing battle with his, armed only with a screwdriver and hammer, spume going everywhere. Barnes Wallace had to open his by getting 617 Squadron to slam them into the wall of a dam.
    New current incarnation appears to be a standard 5L mini-keg, the question is who's brewing (?) the liquid inside? I would suspect it'll be some badge engineering of a run of the mill BBB. Other than the grapefruit/pine referred to in the tasting notes it could be London Pride (Orange marmalade being a frequent reference in tasting notes). Of course Doombar would be cheap and nasty enough to substitute for the original pish, (apologies to Retired Martin).
    Last edited by oldboots; 07-10-2020 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Of course Doombar would be cheap and nasty enough to substitute for the original pish, (apologies to Retired Martin).
    Save your apologies - in one of today's posts he had a pint (a pint!) of John Smiths Extra Cold Crap in a Craft Union pub in Hitchin.
    Come On You Hatters!

New current incarnation appears to be a standard 5L mini-keg, the question is who's brewing (?) the liquid inside? I would suspect it'll be some badge engineering of a run of the mill BBB. Other than the grapefruit/pine referred to in the tasting notes it could be London Pride (Orange marmalade being a frequent reference in tasting notes). Of course Doombar would be cheap and nasty enough to substitute for the original pish, (apologies to Retired Martin).
    I believe the current Watneys beers are brewed by Sambrooks, not tried the party 7 but some of the beers are passable if not great.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Save your apologies - in one of today's posts he had a pint (a pint!) of John Smiths Extra Cold Crap in a Craft Union pub in Hitchin.
    He deserves everything he gets.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Don't let the Watneys name put you off.I have had 5 or 6 Watneys beers brewed as Moby suggested at Sambrookes and nearly all have been good.Far better than Sambrookes imo.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Don't let the Watneys name put you off.I have had 5 or 6 Watneys beers brewed as Moby suggested at Sambrookes and nearly all have been good.Far better than Sambrookes imo.
    Are they historical recreations? My father was a young thing briefly in the London of the late 1920s, and always said that Watneys was good at the time, unlike in the 70s,when I and everyone else was running them down.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Are they historical recreations? My father was a young thing briefly in the London of the late 1920s, and always said that Watneys was good at the time, unlike in the 70s,when I and everyone else was running them down.
    No, the only similarity is the name, ironic humour I guess.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    He deserves everything he gets.
    I believe Quinno is of the opinion that NHSMartin is just trolling Bass and Doombar rather than having poor taste in beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post

I worked with a bloke in the 1970s who said the same thing, pre-war Watneys was good beer.

I believe Quinno is of the opinion that NHSMartin is just trolling Bass and Doombar rather than having poor taste in beer.

There is no doubt he's on a wind up but on the occasions I've drunk with him he actually seems to like the stuff.
    -W.C.Fields