Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 22nd March 2020)

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    An old favourite as BOTW, Oakham Bishops Farwell. Still available on cask but as a takeaway - not sure for how long.
    I received a very detailed reply when contacting them about the suspended online shop... I'm not able to insert the extract as a word doc..?

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I received a very detailed reply when contacting them about the suspended online shop... I'm not able to insert the extract as a word doc..?
    Ok long-hand, sorry about space use but it may be of interest...
    Thanks for your e mail.

Unfortunately we needed to take our website shop offline on Tuesday morning.

The situation at the moment is that with 75% of our trade being cask beer and the pub trade closing down, we’ve needed to put 38 of 45 staff on furlough.

All bar the Head Brewer of the remaining staff (including myself) are working from home.

So essentially the Peterborough office and logistics functions (including the servicing of our online shop) are currently closed, although the brewery is still in operation producing beers for bottling at Marston’s and distribution via the Marston’s logistics network into the supermarkets.

As was the case for many brewers, our online sales went through the roof last week but the company didn’t want to make people come into work if they were worried about doing so and a large number of the admin and logistics staff wanted to follow advice and stay at home - they were prepared to go onto 80% pay under the government furlough arrangements.

Online, we've also needed to remove Citra and Bishops Farewell from the Ocado platform as Ocado were served from Peterborough.

However we have put in place arrangements to deliver into Best of British Beer and their online service is still operating albeit struggling to keep up with the demand for stock.

https://www.bestofbritishbeer.co.uk

If you can get out at the moment, our bottles are quite widely available in the supermarkets, although getting a store by store list of which beer is stocked where from them is quite difficult.

• Waitrose carry Citra nationally and Scarlet Macaw is also stocked in over 100 branches. Bishops Farewell and JHB are listed regionally in around 40 stores.
    • Tesco list Citra nationally and Bishops Farewell and Inferno quite widely – so you may be lucky there
    • Morrisons list Citra and Inferno quite widely and for information, “The Best American Pale Ale” which we brew for them is actually the same beer as Citra
    • B&M list Citra nationally with some Inferno as well on occasion – the next Inferno listing being in April/May
    • Asda list Citra, Scarlet Macaw and JHB on a regional basis – not sure whether this would extend to your area
    • Lidl will feature Citra in their May 2020 Beer Festival – the event runs from 30 April for one week but is on very much a “When it’s gone, it’s gone” basis
    • Bargain Booze and Wine Rack Stores locally also might well list Citra and possibly JHB and Inferno
    • Home Bargains will have tranches of slightly short dated (BB June/July) JHB and Inferno from early April

Finally, we brew versions of JHB, Citra and Green Devil IPA for M&S.

These are:-

• Cambridgeshire Golden Ale (500ml Bottles) – same brew as JHB
    • Citra IPA (500ml Bottles) and Cambridgeshire IPA (500ml Cans) – a 4.9% ABV version of Citra
    • Double Hopped Citra IPA (330ml Cans) – same brew as Green Devil IPA

I also believe that you can order the beers we brew for M&S online from them, although I’d imagine that their online service is struggling at the moment.

Thanks for your e mail.

The situation at the moment is that with 75% of our trade being cask beer and the pub trade closing down, we’ve needed to put 38 of 45 staff on furlough.

All bar the Head Brewer of the remaining staff (including myself) are working from home.

So essentially the Peterborough office and logistics functions (including the servicing of our online shop) are currently closed, although the brewery is still in operation producing beers for bottling at Marston’s and distribution via the Marston’s logistics network into the supermarkets.

As was the case for many brewers, our online sales went through the roof last week but the company didn’t want to make people come into work if they were worried about doing so and a large number of the admin and logistics staff wanted to follow advice and stay at home - they were prepared to go onto 80% pay under the government furlough arrangements.

Online, we've also needed to remove Citra and Bishops Farewell from the Ocado platform as Ocado were served from Peterborough.

However we have put in place arrangements to deliver into Best of British Beer and their online service is still operating albeit struggling to keep up with the demand for stock.

If you can get out at the moment, our bottles are quite widely available in the supermarkets, although getting a store by store list of which beer is stocked where from them is quite difficult.

• Waitrose carry Citra nationally and Scarlet Macaw is also stocked in over 100 branches. Bishops Farewell and JHB are listed regionally in around 40 stores.
    • Tesco list Citra nationally and Bishops Farewell and Inferno quite widely – so you may be lucky there
    • Morrisons list Citra and Inferno quite widely and for information, “The Best American Pale Ale” which we brew for them is actually the same beer as Citra
    • B&M list Citra nationally with some Inferno as well on occasion – the next Inferno listing being in April/May
    • Asda list Citra, Scarlet Macaw and JHB on a regional basis – not sure whether this would extend to your area
    • Lidl will feature Citra in their May 2020 Beer Festival – the event runs from 30 April for one week but is on very much a “When it’s gone, it’s gone” basis
    • Bargain Booze and Wine Rack Stores locally also might well list Citra and possibly JHB and Inferno
    • Home Bargains will have tranches of slightly short dated (BB June/July) JHB and Inferno from early April

• Citra IPA (500ml Bottles) and Cambridgeshire IPA (500ml Cans) – a 4.9% ABV version of Citra

I also believe that you can order the beers we brew for M&S online from them, although I’d imagine that their online service is struggling at the moment.
    That is interesting Jim, I literally just turned my nose up at Morrisons "The Best American Pale Ale" a couple of hours ago when topping up some bottles and cans. If only I'd known.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Bottle or can BF..?
    In this instance it was from a bottle,maybe the greater volume tipped the balance over the contents of the can.

Great info. on the Oakham situation,thanks
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 30-03-2020 at 23:52.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Thanks for your e mail.

Thank you for this.

Very difficult situation for them and no huge surprise but I very much hope that they manage to return to brewing as close to before as possible. In the meantime it's off to the supermarket!
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A bit late and obviously based on bottles and cans. Aldi are currently knocking out a range of craft beers, several brewed by William Bros and they seem pretty good. Reasonably priced at 0.99 - £1.29, as well.

Saltaire - Citra. (b)
    Acorn - Old Moor Porter. (b)
    William Bros. - Klute. (c)
    William Bros. - Hacienda. (c)
    Freak Aleworks - Phantom Pale Ale.

THe PPA just shaded it. Made with Citra, Mosaic, Topaz, Ella and Galaxy, it's not particularly complex, but very gluggable.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.