Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Snacks

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Default Pub Snacks

Back in the day when pubs were open, I always liked something to chomp on with my beer, so I've put together a list of my favourites down through the years:

Pork Pie: Lion Tavern & The White Hart
    Ham & Salad Cob: The Old Oak Inn & Weavers at Park Lane
    Cheese Cob: The Blue Boar
    Steak Pie: Coach & Horses
    Pizza: Tapped
    Veg Samosas (homemade!): The Old Moseley Arms
    Pork Scratchings: The Burnt Pig
    Meat & Potato pie: from a bakery in Upper Mill and scoffed in here: Albion Tap
    Fish & Chips: from a chippy around the corner from The Badgers Arms
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

My favourite all time snack (more of a meal really) was the pork baps in the Great Western. In the 1990s it was a long soft bread roll packed with freshly cooked and carved pork with stuffing and optional fried onions. It cost about the same as a pint of bitter. The pulled pork baps of today are microwaved and absolute rubbish in comparison.

This Space For Hire

I cant say I have every eaten a snack with beer in a pub.Have a beer then have another one is my motto.

This Space For Hire

No, you definitely need something to soak it up! Too much consumed over the years to remember anything too specific, but a couple of thoughts from the days when a free snack was often provided on a Sunday lunchtime.

I recollect a canal trip in Yorkshire many moons ago when we stumbled upon a pub giving out all manner of stuff; roast potatoes, black pudding and lord knows what else. Will have to do some digging and see if I can find where it was.

And several pubs in Penzance used to have cheese on the bar (not uncommon) but uniquely with bowls of raw onion in vinegar. Does this still happen?
    Last edited by Pangolin; 02-04-2020 at 00:06.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

The Pork and Apple sauce rolls in The Southampton Arms , about 4 quid or so but loads of meat and big rolls.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

You can't beat the Cheese & Onion Cobs and the Pork Pies in Black Country pubs. These days most pubs just seem to sell a wide range of peanuts, crisps, and packets of potato starch in various forms although I am pretty fond of mini-cheddars.

In the olden days, Friday and Saturday nights were the sea-food man times, as discussed here before I think? Sunday lunchtime was the time for free bar snacks, usually cheese cubes, peanuts, sometimes roast potatoes, some places with crackers or black pudding or deeply fried bacon rind as a nancy southern version of scratchings . The Village Inn in Salisbury used to have bowls of prawn crackers liberally dusted with Ceyenne pepper as a free snack on Sunday lunchtimes.

I won't mention those occasional tests carried out into what else was lurking in the bowls used

In a pub I used to frequent one old lady used to bring in a big bag of home made cheese straws for the regulars.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

I’m not a fan of the standard bar snacks really. My friends always get crisps and peanuts but I find they get annoyingly stuck in my teeth for hours on end. Pies are too often disappointing.

Free food is still fairly common around here in an afternoon, usually just cheese sandwiches offered around the pub. Recently I was given so many sandwiches in the White Star, Liverpool that I couldn’t eat for the rest of the day!. Less common but some pubs give away hot pot/scouse/lobby or even curry and rice too, they go up massively in my estimations as a result.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    These days most pubs just seem to sell a wide range of peanuts, crisps, and packets of potato starch in various forms although I am pretty fond of mini-cheddars.
    At its worse the evil practice of rushing you a couple of quid for a huge bowl of stale nuts bought in bulk from the cash and carry. I sometimes ask for a packet of salted peanuts knowing full well what will be offered just so I can decline and have crisps instead.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 02-04-2020 at 11:05.

This Space For Hire

Pork scratchings in the Golden Smog, they even have two varieties. The airy ones, and the dense proper ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    My friends always get crisps and peanuts but I find they get annoyingly stuck in my teeth for hours on end.
    It's not just me, then.
    Come On You Hatters!