Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for going to pubs

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Cask Beer.
    100% this. I drink plenty of beer at home, but you can't beat a decent pint of cask beer.

I find it difficult to pass any pub without wondering what it's like inside, what beers are on, what the punters are like. I've had some of my best moments (and worst) in pubs, I used to even like the smell of a pub - that mix of stale beer, fag smoke and cheap perfume, heady stuff missing something these days. I like the way you can turn up and just sit on your own or get dragged into conversations with complete strangers, I like the jokes, the banter, the daft signs, the bits of junk that have some story behind them, the postcards from Benidorm, the walls of photos of boozed up customers, I even enjoy in a twisted way the pretensions of some places, the arty bogs of others. The "people watching" of those little human dramas that happen more in pubs than other places, the retelling of stories, suitably embellished, of those incidents tragic or comic witnessed in the pub. And the history, the feeling you're doing what a dozen generations have done here before; the celebrations, the events, the simple marking of life's good or bad bits. It's just not the same drinking anywhere else, the pub is just right.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I find it difficult to pass any pub without wondering what it's like inside, what beers are on, what the punters are like. I've had some of my best moments (and worst) in pubs, I used to even like the smell of a pub - that mix of stale beer, fag smoke and cheap perfume, heady stuff missing something these days. I like the way you can turn up and just sit on your own or get dragged into conversations with complete strangers, I like the jokes, the banter, the daft signs, the bits of junk that have some story behind them, the postcards from Benidorm, the walls of photos of boozed up customers, I even enjoy in a twisted way the pretensions of some places, the arty bogs of others. The "people watching" of those little human dramas that happen more in pubs than other places, the retelling of stories, suitably embellished, of those incidents tragic or comic witnessed in the pub. And the history, the feeling you're doing what a dozen generations have done here before; the celebrations, the events, the simple marking of life's good or bad bits. It's just not the same drinking anywhere else, the pub is just right.
    Excellent. Don't think I could possibly explain it half as perfectly as this. So I won't.

One for the Booker Prize!

I find it easy especially if the signage includes a Ram, Griffin or Hart and also banners for BT and/or Sky Sport have stopped me.
    I do enjoy people watching though. I read an interview somewhere with the bloke who does the Real Ale Twats in VIZ. As you would expect he is a Real Ale drinker and when in a pub he is watching for inspiration. I wouldn't mind betting that some of the inspiration comes from the Whitley Bay JDW.
    As for the cigarette smoke, I'm so glad that is a thing of the past. I hope that vaping goes the same way, although many pubs don't allow it.

Well said! You've really hit the nail on the head. #pubsgalore
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Great prose ,a poignant reminder of what I will miss in the coming weeks.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Dog Pram2.JPG

The pram is for the dog!

This Space For Hire

I find it difficult to pass any pub without wondering what it's like inside...
    Sometimes, having passed a pub for over 25 years, I venture in to see what it's like and rather wish I hadn't.

I'm going to ratchet up the tone (NOT!) of this thread by announcing that I went to the pub today, not just to drink a load of different beers but to also get my Will witnessed.
    I feel really proud that due to the RWhites virus one of the witnesses was from the E17 Rose & Crown. He actually believed me when I told him that I was a certainty for a Blue Plaque which would make him an international celebrity.
    I'm hoping to survive this albeit battered and bruised and possibly with a bag of shite hanging from my gut.