Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for going to pubs

Default Reasons for going to pubs

I mentioned a couple of these in another thread:

Trying out new beers that haven't been available anywhere else...

Or that have been tried in bottle or can but there's a possibilty they could be better in cask or keg.

Drinking well remembered beers that aren't available in the same quality in bottles or cans.

Meeting friends or family for a chat without having to put your house in order first.

Bumping into people you don't know, or haven't seen for a long time.

Being acknowledged by staff or regulars as someone they recognise even though neither of you particularly wants to start a conversation.

Appreciation of the architecture or ancient features of a pub building or interior.

...to be continued
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

OCD due to the internet? Give a man a list and a red Stadler biro comes out and a spreadsheet starts....

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    OCD due to the internet? Give a man a list and a red Stadler biro comes out and a spreadsheet starts....
    Damn. You've seen right through me. (Apart from Stadler.)
    Come On You Hatters!

In my case I started out by going to all the pubs from an independent brewery and I suspect that the late Alan Winfield also started that way. I'm still doing it to a degree having felt a compulsion to visit or revisit all the Batham & Holden pubs. JDW followed more by accident really but it took me to many places I would never have visited, Corby being a prime example! I was thinking of trying to go round the Holt's estate until I noticed that every one I saw from the bus was advertising live football.
    I still have the same distrust of the large pubcos and global abominations that I had for the Big Six breweries back in the day. The sad thing is that I no longer trust Young's, Fuller's, McMullen's, Marston's, Greene King and Robinson's. It was a different matter back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The sad thing is that I no longer trust Young's, Fuller's, McMullen's, Marston's, Greene King and Robinson's. It was a different matter back in the day.
    I too tend to distrust such outlets, the trouble is completely shunning them can mean missing out on some really nice pubs, even if the beer is overpriced crap. Depends where you sit on the beer/pub see-saw,I'm slightly unbalanced (pun intended) toward the beer end, but I do like a good pub and sometimes make sacrifices like my pint of Bass (other beers were available ) in The Star Inn , Bath a couple of weeks ago, (review to follow shortly, probably when all the pubs are closed), not a chain pub just the beers weren't to my taste, but a pub not to be missed.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Cask Beer.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Reliquifying -- On a hot day when working very hard outside (think..descending the 26 locks of the Cheshire flight on the Trent & Mersey known as Heatbreak Hill in a morning ) the Cheshire Cheese,Wheelock will always get a visit.Last July various real ales,sparkling ciders in bottles and lager were all used to slake the thirst.Surprising how much can be consumed without a trip to the gents.

Harks back to the days when the steelworkers shift finished and they arrived at pubs with their beer tokens in hand.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I too tend to distrust such outlets, the trouble is completely shunning them can mean missing out on some really nice pubs, even if the beer is overpriced crap. Depends where you sit on the beer/pub see-saw,I'm slightly unbalanced (pun intended) toward the beer end, but I do like a good pub and sometimes make sacrifices like my pint of Bass (other beers were available ) in The Star Inn , Bath a couple of weeks ago, (review to follow shortly, probably when all the pubs are closed), not a chain pub just the beers weren't to my taste, but a pub not to be missed.
    The ones I shun completely from my list are Fuller's, Young's and McMullen's. I've been to most of the older outlets before. I'm getting very close to completely avoiding Marston outlets. Banks's (and Hanson's) pubs used to be an attraction but not today. You can't even be sure if they will have the two main Banks's beers. The most recent "new" one I've been to is the brewery tap in Wolverhampton. It was a huge disappointment as it had all been knocked into one big room and had obtrusive TVs with the sound on everywhere. I should have included Wadworth on the list, mainly because I've never been that keen on their beers but the watering down of 6X was the final straw. When I went to Devizes to visit the JDW I didn't go to a single Wadworth outlet.

The best pint of Robinson's Trooper I had was keg in a really grotty place near Stockport Station. It was less than £3.00 a pint.

I went to the Star in Bath years ago and was disappointed by the beer range even then. It's a Heineken pub which is a minus and I wouldn't bother returning. The fact that it sells Bass means it's not even a serious proposition. Bath and Winchester used to be favoured destinations but are now just an expensive waste of time.
    Unrelated, but the JDW in Bath is awful!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The ones I shun completely ... I'm getting very close to completely avoiding ...
    The title of this thread is Reasons for going to pubs, but you're giving us all your reasons for avoiding certain categories of pub! This was meant to be an invitation for people to share what they like about pubs and the joy they get from their visits. You're just being grumpy.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    The title of this thread is Reasons for going to pubs, but you're giving us all your reasons for avoiding certain categories of pub! This was meant to be an invitation for people to share what they like about pubs and the joy they get from their visits. You're just being grumpy.
    I was replying directly to Moby's post. The reasons for not going to certain pubs are relevant to which pubs you actually visit and if you disagree then tough.