Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price vs Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    How about a pint of 4.3% Landlord at The Carpenters Arms - £6.00 take your fancy?
    I like the pub, but that's a pisstake.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ...but you would have been wrong:
    £16.20 a pint according to Scoopgen.

This Space For Hire

I love places that do thirds.I always find a half of strong beer seems to be a lot harder to drink than the third.I have had some great tasting strong beers but only tried them as I can get a third . Find it a bit worrying that the price of these strong beers doesn't seem to bother the younger drinkers thus leading to ever higher prices.I was in the Weather Station Reading a few weeks ago and the barman showed me the list for an Omipollo tap take over.Most of the beers were £21 or £22 a pint and he told me he had cut his profit margin on some of them. Not paved with gold London but Reading where beer is still affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    How about a pint of 4.3% Landlord at The Carpenters Arms - £6.00 take your fancy?
    Eek indeed. That's just a rip-off, and belongs in the How much? thread. What I'm inviting here are contributions about whether the price matters when you're faced with a potentially interesting beer that you might never see again.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Eek indeed. That's just a rip-off, and belongs in the How much? thread. What I'm inviting here are contributions about whether the price matters when you're faced with a potentially interesting beer that you might never see again.
    Nope price doesn't matter when you can get a monster tick. I have sometimes paid a lot just to try a rare beer.Rarely disappointed apart from the sour beers I have been tempted to try .No more sours for me.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    JDW have abandoned their Premium price scales for guest ales and now charge the same for all guests, although their may be local exceptions.
    Indeed - their pricing seems to be becoming increasingly random where a common price is not used, with things that you would expect to be higher not being and vice versa. And the price for a half is even more variable, having been charged 90p for half of a £2.15 pint this morning!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Indeed - their pricing seems to be becoming increasingly random where a common price is not used, with things that you would expect to be higher not being and vice versa. And the price for a half is even more variable, having been charged 90p for half of a £2.15 pint this morning!
    Sorry, but I've no sympathy at all for inflated half pint prices but do think it completely wrong that a 5% plus beer should cost the sane as a sub 4% plus beer. If the duty difference isn't enough to make it possible then they should cancel the duty on beers less than 4% or 3.8% or whatever.
    The government aren't interested in responsible drinking (whatever that is) as the duty loss would be considerable.

Just Missed the Round

And the price for a half is even more variable, having been charged 90p for half of a £2.15 pint this morning!
    I find Spoons are always good at not overinflating the price of half a pint and a half is always charged at half the price of a pint (with any half penny being rounded up, of course).

Sometimes they have a discount on real ales so perhaps your £2.15 pint was actually reduced to £1.80 on the day and that's why your half only set you back 90p. They don't usually amend the price on the pump on discount days, so unless the bar staff tell you or you happen to be in the know, you wouldn't necessarily notice.

...the price for a half is even more variable, having been charged 90p for half of a £2.15 pint this morning!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Sorry, but I've no sympathy at all for inflated half pint prices.
    Deflated, in this instance.
    Come On You Hatters!