Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    If you fancy draught

https://shop.harveys.org.uk/products...17569025851465

A fiver a litre so no bargain
    One pint = 568 ml, so a litre is 1.76 pints. £5 for 1.76 pints = £2.84/pint

(The courier charge of £7.95 bumps it up a bit. Makes it more like £3.23/pint, unless you buy lots.)
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 17-03-2020 at 15:32.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Just read a paper version of the press release in my local spoons (copies on the counter and tables), classic Timbo, love the “perfidious Emmanuel Macron” bit.

I have just had to submit the first two (hopefully temporary) closures due to coronavirus outbreak that I have become aware of...

Just released by Camra:

The Campaign for Real Ale, which runs over 180 local beer festivals across the country, has cancelled all events – including local beer festivals – planned between now and the end of June following recent government advice on mass gathering.

All physical events, festivals and meetings, from branch to national levels, have been cancelled for an initial three-month period, with further cancellations to be considered regularly as the situation evolves.

Nik Antona, CAMRA National Chairman said: “While we understand the important social benefits of CAMRA and the huge pleasure in pub going, we feel it would be highly irresponsible to continue to promote gatherings of people in pubs – both of which have been advised against by the Government. We will, of course, be looking into what campaigning measure we can take to help support the British beer and pub industry during this unsettling time – and would repeat our calls for the Government to put together a support package to support the pub and brewery trade during this period.”

Notable events that have been cancelled include the inaugural Great Welsh Beer Festival, which was to make its debut in Cardiff from 22-25 April, as well as the Members’ Weekend, Conference and AGM due to take place in York from 3-5 April.

CAMRA’s flagship festival, the Great British Beer Festival, is currently under review as it is due to take place at Olympia, London from 4-8 August.

Nik Antona said: “It is with a heavy heart that we have made the decision to cancel a total of 45 beer festivals between now and the end of June. Every beer festival is run by a team of dedicated volunteers, and we deeply appreciate their hard work and support during this difficult time.

“While current Government advice is that all social gatherings should be avoided in the short term, we’d like to encourage all beer-lover and pub-goers to investigate ways to continue supporting the industry, whether that be ordering their brews online from independent retailers or supporting pub crowdfunding campaigns to keep afloat.”

More information on CAMRA events and activity will be provided as the situation unfolds.

There’s an emergency memo to branches also, with a little more detail but not much. More a political reaction to the mass hysteria, as sadly is required these days.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    One pint = 568 ml, so a litre is 1.76 pints. £5 for 1.76 pints = £2.84/pint

(The courier charge of £7.95 bumps it up a bit. Makes it more like £3.23/pint, unless you buy lots.)
    Tesco have 5 litre kegs of Doombar £15

This Space For Hire

There are lots of micro and small breweries that have set up local deliveries, some for food also - check out your locals. Meanwhile Hog's Back have created a 'Drive through' at the brewery so you can order from your car without breaching quarantine.

Going back to the original question - the Palladium Spoons in Llandudno on a quick count had around 75% of drinkers obviously aged over 70 at 09.00 this morning, so some things don't change, even if numbers are down!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Tesco have 5 litre kegs of Doombar £15
    They can keep it, something they haven't managed to do with their bog roll.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I was pleased to see both village pubs still open this evening, along with our award-winning village club (visited for purely medicinal reasons, of course)...

Somerset CAMRA has now cancelled all its events for the Summer, including the Ale Trail. The latter was justified as 'we cannot actively put our members in harm's way'. Whatever happened to free will? And why deprive struggling pubs of the extra customers this would bring in?
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.