Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade?

Real Ale Drinker

The Welkin (Wetherspoons) in Liverpool is currently accepting card only. They are also insisting that the entrance doors are open thereby making it feckin freezing in here.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Tesco have 5 litre kegs of Doombar £15
    If they up the incentive to £20 then I might consider drinking it - might...

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    There’s an emergency memo to branches also, with a little more detail but not much. More a political reaction to the mass hysteria, as sadly is required these days.
    Was in Elephant & Castle last night - essentially full but not packed. A newly printed sign behind the bar informed customers that in accordance with government guidelines, the pub's hours would be restricted from 12.00 to 22.00 - first I've heard of this.

Gardeners Rest, a community pub, has reduced its hours to 5pm until 10pm, with last orders at 9.30. Decent crowd in there tonight (all keeping their distance, of course) and beer in great shape, but how much longer?
    Come On You Hatters!

The Alfred, one of my two regular pub's is almost certainly closing down after tonight until whenever, the landlord is feeling a sense of social irresponsibility by staying open yet. I suspect feels he's letting his loyal regulars down, he's not happy with the lack of direction from the government on this, in my view they are passing the buck with there suggestions to avoid pubs. He plans to offer a takeaway service at the door.
    It's all a bit of a bugger.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    [URL="https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35750/"]THe plans to offer a takeaway service at the door.
    It's all a bit of a bugger.
    It would be helpful if the weather warmed up a bit. They could then at least allow outdoor drinking though that rather screws inner-city pubs. But I suspect London will be shut down by the weekend anyway

All Ego restaurants and their associated pubs are now closed according to the email I've just received from them

ASK are doing the same.

The Pilcrow in Manchester, the start point for the PuG crawl has just announced they've closed for the time being.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 19-03-2020 at 16:07.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Only one local pub recorded so far as closing, lots doing carryouts and even home delivery. Rudgate wiil deliver a nine and handpump for £110 (HG & YO postcodes only). Local breweries are mostly offering delivery and even10% off on small pack. Most pubs staying open but may reduce hours. The local useless bus company are going to a Saturday only timetable for Monday-Saturday, no word from the railco’s yet.

This Space For Hire

Is it wise to mark as closed pubs that are in 'hibernation'? If countless pubs are marked as closed, it will be a devil to sort through them to see which are reopen as and when. And what if all pubs are forcibly closed? Should we go through the entire database and mark all as closed or just shut down the website itself? Surely common sense should prevail...

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Is it wise to mark as closed pubs that are in 'hibernation'? If countless pubs are marked as closed, it will be a devil to sort through them to see which are reopen as and when. And what if all pubs are forcibly closed? Should we go through the entire database and mark all as closed or just shut down the website itself? Surely common sense should prevail...
    Common sense is prevailing. Do you want to travel out to a pub and then find it's closed?

As long as they're marked as temporary closures and the explanation as to why it's only temporary in the reason box (which is what the guidelines say anyway).

Have a look at what I have done for The Pilcrow and the others and do the same. I have the facility to get a list of these and reopen them when it becomes appropriate.

If it gets ridiculous then a rethink may be required.

If all pubs get closed I will then be able to catch up on my backlog of reviews.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 19-03-2020 at 18:26.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Common sense is prevailing. Do you want to travel out to a pub and then find it's closed?

As long as they're marked as temporary closures and the explanation as to why it's only temporary in the reason box (which is what the guidelines say anyway).

Have a look at what I have done for The Pilcrow and the others and do the same, then I have the facility to get a list of these and reopen them when it becomes appropriate.

If all pubs get closed I will then be able to catch up on my backlog of reviews.
    Fine as long as a list is kept - could be bloody long one though.