Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade?

Good question. Some countries around Europe have imposed a ban on outdoor gatherings of more than 500 people and indoor gatherings of more than 100. I would guess that most Spoon's have more than 100 people in during an average day so they would have to close or limit numbers.

I am a salmon !!

Real Ale Drinker

The Pen Factory, Liverpool has notices announcing that they will "not be accepting cash payments until further notice to minimise cross contamination." Though they took my money today.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Certainly affecting Camra fests.Yeovil and Macclesfield have cancelled and I have heard Reading are worried as they have already paid out money.Quinno might confirm or deny that rumour.
    At the time of writing, RBF is still going ahead. However matters may be taken out of the organisers hands by central government / the CMO.

Money should be fine as I understand the insurance covers us now it's a notifiable disease. However CAMRA HQ, which still heavily relies on beer festival surpluses, will be worried.
    Last edited by Quinno; 14-03-2020 at 16:20.

This Space For Hire

I tend to avoid my local from mid-week on as it gets progressively packed, but was summoned there yesterday by a friend on the basis that given current events, it would be fairly quiet. Wrong - absolutely rammed to the point that we didn't even try to get in, full with 25s-35s, the age group that's the least vulnerable.

This Space For Hire

The Craft House in Lytham was packed from mid afternoon yesterday. (Novello restaurant next door was quiet though)

I was out and about in the Shrewsbury and Coseley areas during the early part of the week, and the community pubs out in the housing areas seemed to be doing good business for Monday and Tuesday evenings, whereas those in the town centres were much quieter (or closed completely, and not always on a planned basis if their advertised hours are to be believed).

Glass Half Full

How can you ban someone from touching their own face? I appreciate we should discourage it and have a wash if contact is made, but an itchy nose, something in your eye, even coughing into hand or sleeve - is going to need face contact - short of tying hands behind backs it can't be stopped - does anyone just walk round brushing, stroking or poking their own face all day?

This Space For Hire

The Crown
    The Drapers Arms
    Pig & Butcher

All visited last night and all packed. On the way home, taking the long and arduous trek that is Pentonville Road and Euston Road around half midnight, I saw an old Routemaster bus that had been converted into a mobile nightclub with flashing lights and pounding music enjoyed by a young group, packing it full with faces only inches apart. It's the youngest who are the least likely to catch anything, yet they are still carriers!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    How can you ban someone from touching their own face? I appreciate we should discourage it and have a wash if contact is made, but an itchy nose, something in your eye, even coughing into hand or sleeve - is going to need face contact - short of tying hands behind backs it can't be stopped - does anyone just walk round brushing, stroking or poking their own face all day?
    If your hands are clean there's no problem touching your face. If you've been handling something potentially infected, like the pint glass the barman just gave you, it's best not to .

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    If your hands are clean there's no problem touching your face. If you've been handling something potentially infected, like the pint glass the barman just gave you, it's best not to .
    Yesterday on the tube (on the way to the above, no less) I watched as a young women with two friends, swung like a monkey from the roof-mounted handrail in the carriage - it must have been touched by hundreds of hands. She then sat down, pulled out a jumbo-sized bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, broke off chunks and then stuffed then into her and her friends' mouths!