Ads not shown when logged in
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 302

Thread: Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade?

  1. #281
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    C I never worked forCunard by the way .
    I didn't work that hard either.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

  2. #282
    Spritzer Swallower
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Carpathia was the Cunard ship that picked up survivors but Californian was a ship that was closer and ignored the distress rockets, Captain Lord was condemned at the inquiry. I never worked forCunard by the way .
    would be interesting to see if someone has done a documentory on this one

    I wonder if there is much scope for a conspiracy theory night in the pub that I plan on opening

  3. #283
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Devonshire Cat has just announced it won't be reopening.

  4. #284
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Devonshire Cat has just announced it won't be reopening.
    "...We will update here, as and when the situation changes."

    Considering that 90% of their custom comes from students (and their parents), it would be crazy to reopen in July/August. They'll need to know that face-to-face teaching at the university is definitely going to happen again before they reopen, I reckon.

    (It was my third most visited pub this year, and I was going there on 20 March too, but they closed early for some reason.)
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 22-06-2020 at 17:51.
    Come On You Hatters!

  5. #285
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    5,093

    Default

    Read their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/devcat/ sadly it's nowhere near as optimistic.

    It won't be owned by Abbeydale anyway.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  6. #286
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Read their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/devcat/ sadly it's nowhere near as optimistic.

    It won't be owned by Abbeydale anyway.
    Bugger!
    Come On You Hatters!

  7. #287
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,152

    Default

    More bad news for those of us based in the north. According to various sources on a Yorkshire pubs Facebook page I dip into, several venues owned by Market Town Taverns will not be reopening after the lockdown has eased. Brigantes (York) we already know about, but further casualties are:

    East of Arcadia (Meanwood, Leeds).
    Veritas (Leeds).
    Town Street Tavern (Horsforth, Leeds).
    Horse & Farrier (Otley).

    Not sure what will happen in the long term, but in the short term, these are quality bars that will be sorely missed.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  8. #288
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    More bad news for those of us based in the north. According to various sources on a Yorkshire pubs Facebook page I dip into, several venues owned by Market Town Taverns will not be reopening after the lockdown has eased. Brigantes (York) we already know about, but further casualties are:

    East of Arcadia (Meanwood, Leeds).
    Veritas (Leeds).
    Town Street Tavern (Horsforth, Leeds).
    Horse & Farrier (Otley).

    Not sure what will happen in the long term, but in the short term, these are quality bars that will be sorely missed.
    That's bad news. Andy.

    I always visit Arcadia when I go to watch the Leeds Rhinos - that won't be happening again any day now, either - but East of Arcadia didn't strike me as a particularly attractive pub, and it's up against a lot of diverse competition in Meanwood. Not to mention the size of the building must make it very expensive to run. It could well have been borderline profitable (like the Dev Cat, above), and this situation has been the final nail in the coffin (sorry about the cliche).
    Come On You Hatters!

  9. #289
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    More bad news for those of us based in the north. According to various sources on a Yorkshire pubs Facebook page I dip into, several venues owned by Market Town Taverns will not be reopening after the lockdown has eased. Brigantes (York) we already know about, but further casualties are:

    East of Arcadia (Meanwood, Leeds).
    Veritas (Leeds).
    Town Street Tavern (Horsforth, Leeds).
    Horse & Farrier (Otley).

    Not sure what will happen in the long term, but in the short term, these are quality bars that will be sorely missed.
    I'd heard about the Horse & Farrier via Otley pub club and of course Brigates, the Leed's ones are very bad news. I think all the Yorkshire MTTs are leased premises (except perhaps the Mitre in Knaresborough) so depending on the freeholder's attitudes we may not have seen the last of MTT closures. Don't know the status of the Liverpool trio which include two of the best pubs in Liverpool.
    There are many diseases,
    that strike people's kneeses,
    Covid19! is one by name
    It comes from the East
    Packed in bladders of yeast
    So the Chinese must take half the blame.

    Apologies to Spike Milligan

  10. #290
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    That's bad news. Andy.

    I always visit Arcadia when I go to watch the Leeds Rhinos - that won't be happening again any day now, either - but East of Arcadia didn't strike me as a particularly attractive pub, and it's up against a lot of diverse competition in Meanwood. Not to mention the size of the building must make it very expensive to run. It could well have been borderline profitable (like the Dev Cat, above), and this situation has been the final nail in the coffin (sorry about the cliche).
    I've just read that Arcadia will reopen, but it's going to be a few weeks down the line. Amazingly, it's nine years since I reviewed EOA. The Meanwood beer scene has come on leaps and bounds since then. It's probably my least favourite of the four - I commented at the time it had a strange cruise ship ambience, but the beer was good.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ...the Leed's ones are very bad news.
    Will miss Veritas in particular. Usually called if I was north of the Headrow.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 07:15
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 10:05
  3. The Pub Curmudgeon - Knocking out the trade
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-05-2011, 15:15
  4. GBBF - Trade day
    By ptg in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 11:02
  5. What has the trade come to ?
    By Tilly-Miss in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 30-01-2010, 15:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •