Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade?

Default Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade?

I went to a couple of local boozers on Tuesday and got an impression they were less busy than normal. I got to the Rose & Crown at midday and it was empty, nothing unusual there for a weekday but it still seemed quiet when I left around 15:00. I got to the Bell soon after and that was almost empty although people did start to drift in. I hadn't noticed anything before this. The next test will be the E11 JDWs on Saturday.

Because so many people in our village aren't travelling to work, the pub has actually been busier. A dose of Woo Hoo Flu isn't going to get through a cider prophylaxis.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Because so many people in our village aren't travelling to work, the pub has actually been busier. A dose of Woo Hoo Flu isn't going to get through a cider prophylaxis.
    Pf course they are right! No RWhitesvirus or any other germ is ever going to survive a surfeit of real cider!

My partner and I have decided not to go into any pubs, whilst this virus is around. Yes I do think it will affect the pub trade. Slightly off topic, the Cheltenham races seem to be going ahead, which seems to be an insane idea to me. People from all over the world, will be wandering around with the potential to infect, and be infected. Yet again, it is profit before people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    My partner and I have decided not to go into any pubs, whilst this virus is around. Yes I do think it will affect the pub trade. Slightly off topic, the Cheltenham races seem to be going ahead, which seems to be an insane idea to me. People from all over the world, will be wandering around with the potential to infect, and be infected. Yet again, it is profit before people.
    That's interesting and only time will tell if you're right as it seems to be something of an unknown quantity. I hope it all turns out to be much better than the "worst case scenario".

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Slightly off topic, the Cheltenham races seem to be going ahead, which seems to be an insane idea to me. People from all over the world, will be wandering around with the potential to infect, and be infected. Yet again, it is profit before people.
    Maybe it's not about profit. Perhaps people who enjoy going to the races make a judgment about how much pleasure they'll get from going compared with the slight chance of getting really ill or possibly even dying as a result of going. As betting people, they'll be used to exercising those skills, no doubt.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round

One of the arguments against holding football matches "behind closed doors" was that those people who would have previously attended the ground were then more likely to watch it in a pub, where there would be more people in closer proximity to each other and therefore increasing the risk. In theory it was decided it was safer to have those people attend the ground where people are more spread out.

Back on topic, Cloudwater released a blog post recently about their preparations and preventative measures:

https://cloudwaterbrew.co/blog/2020/...s-for-covid-19

This includes reducing capacity at their Manchester tap room by 10% and banning staff from touching their faces etc, as well as washing and sanitising their hands before serving every customer. Protective gloves are also to be worn when handling used glassware. They are also preparing to switch capacity from keg production to more canning, in the hope that customers will be happy to buy for home consumption if they are unwilling or unable to drink at a bar.

It could all blow over but it does seem that some places are taking the risk seriously.

As an aside, I wonder if there is an increased risk at pubs that use the AutoVac system for dispensing cask ales? I guess it depends how strict their hygiene is to begin with.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    In theory it was decided it was safer to have those people attend the ground where people are more spread out.

Wow, well I wouldn't want to frequent pubs where the clientele is regularly more densely packed than at a match! (No quips about Emptihad please, at least we have the good grace to highlight it in our own song)...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Wow, well I wouldn't want to frequent pubs where the clientele is regularly more densely packed than at a match! (No quips about Emptihad please, at least we have the good grace to highlight it in our own song)...
    I heard something about this on the news today and I think the point is that a sporting event is in a much less enclosed space than a pub. It seems to me that the biggest problem with it is the long incubation period that means someone who has got it can be passing it on without knowing.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I replied, then went to edit it and I seem to have deleted it in error!

Sports pubs and bars do seem to get pretty rammed at the best of times, so if you then try and squeeze a stadium's worth of people into these venues in addition to the crowd that would already be in there, I can see it could be a problem.

Though your point is perfectly valid, and I wouldn't want to be in somewhere that crowded even without Coronavirus on the scene!