Ads not shown when logged in
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

Will miss Veritas in particular. Usually called if I was north of the Headrow.
    So will I. On my infrequent trips to Leeds I always tried to make the effort to visit Veritas. It will be missed.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

I've just read that Arcadia will reopen, but it's going to be a few weeks down the line. Amazingly, it's nine years since I reviewed EOA. The Meanwood beer scene has come on leaps and bounds since then. It's probably my least favourite of the four - I commented at the time it had a strange cruise ship ambience, but the beer was good.

Will miss Veritas in particular. Usually called if I was north of the Headrow.
    I once had 5am Saint on cask in Veritas.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

More bad news for those of us based in the north. According to various sources on a Yorkshire pubs Facebook page I dip into, several venues owned by Market Town Taverns will not be reopening after the lockdown has eased. Brigantes (York) we already know about, but further casualties are:

East of Arcadia (Meanwood, Leeds).
    Veritas (Leeds).
    Town Street Tavern (Horsforth, Leeds).
    Horse & Farrier (Otley).

Not sure what will happen in the long term, but in the short term, these are quality bars that will be sorely missed.
    Just read that The Tithe, Northallerton has also gone. Not sure about the reliability of the source, so I wonder if 'oldboots' can confirm?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Just read that The Tithe, Northallerton has also gone. Not sure about the reliability of the source, so I wonder if 'oldboots' can confirm?
    I haven't heard anything but wouldn't be surprised, a great shame as I used to go in there after hospital appointments across the road, very handy. I know the Mitre in Knaresborough will reopen soon.

A few interesting facts and figures:

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...ubs-in-numbers

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    A few interesting facts and figures:

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...ubs-in-numbers
    I do love a good stat,some hope in difficult times for the pub sector.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Probably wrong with the first paragraph saying nearly half of the pubs opened on super Saturday. Very few pubs in London and reports from round the country indicate few pubs have bothered to open.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Probably wrong with the first paragraph saying nearly half of the pubs opened on super Saturday. Very few pubs in London and reports from round the country indicate few pubs have bothered to open.
    Yes. Noticed that eight of the 24 pubs I saw on Saturday in London were open, but more have certainly powered up since and with longer opening hours too. Fuller's are yet to open and Young's come online on 20th. Pubs are certainly getting more full here too. I had no problem getting into the Pineapple (NW5) on Saturday, but a return on Wednesday and walking up Leighton Road, I saw the pub in the distance with a crowd outside, greater than its actual capacity, so either they were queuing to get in or everyone had come out for a fag which was unlikely, in the pouring rain!
    Yesterday, the pubs were so full I gave up trying to get in.

Well, round our way the tally on Saturday was, out of 14 pubs in the town;

open 9
    closed 5 (1 due to the lease expiring and wasn't opening in any case)

Of the other 4 one opened on Wednesday and another yesterday. I'll check out the other two in the fullness of time.

Opening hours however are not as before, some pubs are only open Wednesday - Sunday and only from 5pm even on Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Yes. Noticed that eight of the 24 pubs I saw on Saturday in London were open, but more have certainly powered up since and with longer opening hours too. Fuller's are yet to open and Young's come online on 20th. Pubs are certainly getting more full here too. I had no problem getting into the Pineapple (NW5) on Saturday, but a return on Wednesday and walking up Leighton Road, I saw the pub in the distance with a crowd outside, greater than its actual capacity, so either they were queuing to get in or everyone had come out for a fag which was unlikely, in the pouring rain!
    Yesterday, the pubs were so full I gave up trying to get in.
    Managed a pint in the Southampton Arms Yet?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields