Ads not shown when logged in
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    C I never worked forCunard by the way .
    I didn't work that hard either.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Spritzer Swallower

Carpathia was the Cunard ship that picked up survivors but Californian was a ship that was closer and ignored the distress rockets, Captain Lord was condemned at the inquiry. I never worked forCunard by the way .
    would be interesting to see if someone has done a documentory on this one

I wonder if there is much scope for a conspiracy theory night in the pub that I plan on opening

This Space For Hire

Devonshire Cat has just announced it won't be reopening.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Devonshire Cat has just announced it won't be reopening.
    "...We will update here, as and when the situation changes."

Considering that 90% of their custom comes from students (and their parents), it would be crazy to reopen in July/August. They'll need to know that face-to-face teaching at the university is definitely going to happen again before they reopen, I reckon.

(It was my third most visited pub this year, and I was going there on 20 March too, but they closed early for some reason.)
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 22-06-2020 at 18:51.
    Come On You Hatters!

Read their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/devcat/ sadly it's nowhere near as optimistic.

It won't be owned by Abbeydale anyway.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Read their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/devcat/ sadly it's nowhere near as optimistic.

It won't be owned by Abbeydale anyway.
    Bugger!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

More bad news for those of us based in the north. According to various sources on a Yorkshire pubs Facebook page I dip into, several venues owned by Market Town Taverns will not be reopening after the lockdown has eased. Brigantes (York) we already know about, but further casualties are:

East of Arcadia (Meanwood, Leeds).
    Veritas (Leeds).
    Town Street Tavern (Horsforth, Leeds).
    Horse & Farrier (Otley).

Not sure what will happen in the long term, but in the short term, these are quality bars that will be sorely missed.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    More bad news for those of us based in the north. According to various sources on a Yorkshire pubs Facebook page I dip into, several venues owned by Market Town Taverns will not be reopening after the lockdown has eased. Brigantes (York) we already know about, but further casualties are:

Veritas (Leeds).
    Horse & Farrier (Otley).

Not sure what will happen in the long term, but in the short term, these are quality bars that will be sorely missed.
    That's bad news. Andy.

I always visit Arcadia when I go to watch the Leeds Rhinos - that won't be happening again any day now, either - but East of Arcadia didn't strike me as a particularly attractive pub, and it's up against a lot of diverse competition in Meanwood. Not to mention the size of the building must make it very expensive to run. It could well have been borderline profitable (like the Dev Cat, above), and this situation has been the final nail in the coffin (sorry about the cliche).
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

Veritas (Leeds).
    Horse & Farrier (Otley).

I'd heard about the Horse & Farrier via Otley pub club and of course Brigates, the Leed's ones are very bad news. I think all the Yorkshire MTTs are leased premises (except perhaps the Mitre in Knaresborough) so depending on the freeholder's attitudes we may not have seen the last of MTT closures. Don't know the status of the Liverpool trio which include two of the best pubs in Liverpool.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    That's bad news. Andy.

I always visit Arcadia when I go to watch the Leeds Rhinos - that won't be happening again any day now, either - but East of Arcadia didn't strike me as a particularly attractive pub, and it's up against a lot of diverse competition in Meanwood. Not to mention the size of the building must make it very expensive to run. It could well have been borderline profitable (like the Dev Cat, above), and this situation has been the final nail in the coffin (sorry about the cliche).
    I've just read that Arcadia will reopen, but it's going to be a few weeks down the line. Amazingly, it's nine years since I reviewed EOA. The Meanwood beer scene has come on leaps and bounds since then. It's probably my least favourite of the four - I commented at the time it had a strange cruise ship ambience, but the beer was good.

...the Leed's ones are very bad news.
    Will miss Veritas in particular. Usually called if I was north of the Headrow.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.