Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Wembley / Harrow

Default Wembley / Harrow

Off to Wembley again (I seem to go every year lately!) although I expect this to be a humiliating trip!

We are staying in Harrow this time. I last stayed there about 10 years ago so I have done a few of the pubs near the station.

The Castle looks decent but open to advice. I did consider jumping on the tube out to Rickmansworth but nothing decided yet.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I did consider jumping on the tube out to Rickmansworth but nothing decided yet.
    Jump on the tube to Rickmansworth. Or Amersham? Or anywhere!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Jump on the tube to Rickmansworth. Or Amersham? Or anywhere!
    Agreed - Ricky is the best bet. Unless you fancy a tour of Spoons on the Uxbridge line.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Personally I am a fan of Pinner, not because of the pubs but more that Pinner Village still retains that ‘London Village’ feel from time gone by and is a good place for a leisurely exploratory stroll. However on the beer front The Queens Head is a personal favourite, Oddfellows Arms was decent last time I was there and there is the new Beer Asylum , so you shouldn’t go thirsty.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Agreed - Ricky is the best bet. Unless you fancy a tour of Spoons on the Uxbridge line.
    I stayed in Uxbridge and did those spoons last year. Not an option this year as the Metropolitan line is closed between Uxbridge and Harrow this weekend! Not the best planning with the cup final on Sunday.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Personally I am a fan of Pinner, not because of the pubs but more that Pinner Village still retains that ‘London Village’ feel from time gone by and is a good place for a leisurely exploratory stroll. However on the beer front The Queens Head is a personal favourite, Oddfellows Arms was decent last time I was there and there is the new Beer Asylum , so you shouldn’t go thirsty.
    I had a quick look at Pinner and it looks OK. It is another option.

I am a salmon !!

I stayed in Uxbridge and did those spoons last year. Not an option this year as the Metropolitan line is closed between Uxbridge and Harrow this weekend! Not the best planning with the cup final on Sunday.
    I see you made it to the Moon on the Hill. Virtually all of the early Spoons were like this and you're not likely to find another one like it outside the London suburbs unless you go to Carrickfergus!. They only went down the food route in the 1990s. I was told they use the Harrow one for staff training.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I see you made it to the Moon on the Hill. Virtually all of the early Spoons were like this and you're not likely to find another one like it outside the London suburbs unless you go to Carrickfergus!. They only went down the food route in the 1990s. I was told they use the Harrow one for staff training.
    When we arrived early there were signs on the doors stating "Man City Pub". I took this to be a challenge so we walked in with no problems. It was only about 8.30 though! When they started serving at 9 a couple of bouncers appeared on the door and started turning Villa fans away telling them they would be alright in O'Neill's. I had only seen about half a dozen City fans so they must have lost a fair amount of money. When I got to O'Neill's at about 10 it was rammed and the spoons was still empty. The George and the Royal Oak were also full of Villa fans. Perhaps they allocated City the smaller pub with numbers in mind?

I am a salmon !!

When we arrived early there were signs on the doors stating "Man City Pub". I took this to be a challenge so we walked in with no problems. It was only about 8.30 though!
    I don't understand that at all. Do Villa fans have a bad reputation? I've never been aware of that. Birmingham City yes.
    I've been to the Wanstead George a few times around midday on a Saturday and never seen any bouncers or signs of trouble, One Saturday the bar area got busy with what seemed like football supporters from up North which baffled me as I had checked Orient & West Ham. After they had left I asked the bar staff whi they were and I think it was Leeds and Blackburn? on the way to Millwall & QPR, both miles away!
    On another occasion there were green and white stripes around who were WBA fans at West Ham.Like the Wolves supporters in the Great Western there was just too many of them!
    The George does have the advantage of being right opposite the Central Line tube station.