I've just returned from a long weekend in Spain quickly followed by a fortnight in Kos. I've just about had my fill of Amstel, Heineken and Mythos. (Tonight I've opened a Davenport's Fox's Nob to go with my balti). The closest I came to drinking something different was Erdinger Weissbier. The question I have is whether there are any decent beer offerings abroad?

When I was in Australia 2 years ago I was surprised that Boag's in Northern Tassie did a decent amber ale while Cooper's Brewery did some dark ale, pale ale and stout as an alternative to the ubiquitous lagery drinks. Cooper's can be found in the UK.

While I was away I read Pete Brown's Hops and Glory (excellent book) describing the development of IPA and attempts by the US to produce similar styles.

I don't know much about Belgian beers or German beers so what I want to know is whether other countries produce the range and quality of ales etc to rival the UK and, if so, what is worth trying? (Who knows I might get onto Beers of Europe, based in Norfollk, to try to broaden my horizons)