I don't know if you guys are aware of this initiative by Everards, but some of our favourite pubs are part of this venture.

They include The Brunswick in Derby and The Fighting Cocks in Oakengates.

Everards in conjunction with a micro brewer buy a struggling or closed pub and then refurbish it.

Everards relax the tie on all cask ale except for one pump which must sell an Everards cask ale. The pub is tied on all other drinks.

There are 13 pubs in the scheme so far. I believe Titanic have three, Steaming Billy have two, Amber Ales, Ashover and White Horse have one each, plus the two above. Purity & Springhead are also involved I think.

What a fantastic idea this is, to allow a micro brewer to get themselves a brewery tap without all the expense they would normally incur at a critical time in their business plan. The micro brewer gets a guaranteed outlet for their beers and of course Everards do well out of the tie on the other drinks as well.

Congratulations to Everards for such a forward thinking idea.

This does of course explain why the Brunswick always have Everards Tiger on handpump alongside the other 16 or so handpumps. I don't think I've ever seen anyone buy a pint though.

http://www.everards.co.uk/news_events/news/260/