Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

There’s an eight month gap in Boddington’s wartime brewing records. Because on 23rd December 1940 the brewery was seriously damaged in an air raid. Brewing didn’t restart until 25th August 1941.

There are quite a few differences between this version of IP and the one from the end of 1940. For a start, the gravity has been slashed by 5º. Though an increased degree of attenuation has left the ABV little changed.

The flaked rice has been dropped again and replaced by . . . nothing. I’m not sure if there’s any adjunct in the grist or not. Because the brewing record is a bit vague about the wheat. It could be flaked wheat or wheat malt. I really don’t know.

That aside, the grist remains pretty simple. English pale malt, malt extract and touch of enzymic malt and two types of sugar FL and B. No idea what they were, so I’ve substituted No. 2 invert.

The hopping rate has fallen a little, from 7.25 lbs per quarter (336 lbs) of malt to 7lbs. There were two types of copper hops, both English, from the 1940 harvest and kept in a cold store.

Another change is the yeast, which is described as “Tadcaster”. As they hadn’t brewed for several months, it’s no surprise that they didn’t have any yeast to hand. It is odd that they got yeast from Yorkshire rather than closer by. I’m guessing that it was either from the Tower Brewery (later owned by Bass Charrington) or John Smith.

1941 Boddington IP
pale malt 7.50 lb 86.61%
flaked wheat 0.33 lb 3.81%
malt extract 0.33 lb 3.81%
No. 2 invert sugar 0.50 lb 5.77%
Fuggles 120 mins 0.75 oz
Fuggles 90 mins 0.75 oz
Goldings 30 mins 0.75 oz
Goldings dry hops 0.50 oz
OG 1040
FG 1008
ABV 4.23
Apparent attenuation 80.00%
IBU 30
SRM 5
Mash at 146º F
Sparge at 162º F
Boil time 120 minutes
pitching temp 61º F
Yeast Wyeast 1318 London ale III (Boddingtons)

More...