Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Preston Crawl, Friday 22nd April 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I tend to agree with that. I would only go to the Continental if I could get a bus there but the Vic opens at 10:00 rather than midday.
    The Continental is a bit of a problem. GBG listed with 6 or 7 beers on but out on a 15 minute ramble. Two PuG reviews describe it as boring and disappointing,being more like a restaurant. Not ideal for a "meet up" place. There is a No.114 bus (to Chorley) that leaves from Fishergate outside the station at 20/past the hour. Arrival bus stop is 4 Google minutes (10 Aqualung minutes) from the Continental along South Meadows Lane. Might not be as good getting back though!! Seems like it uses the same stop and circles its way back.
    Last edited by AlanH; 13-01-2020 at 12:57.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The Continental is a bit of a problem. GBG listed with 6 or 7 beers on but out on a 15 minute ramble. Two PuG reviews describe it as boring and disappointing,being more like a restaurant. Not ideal for a "meet up" place. There is a No.114 bus that leaves from Fishergate outside the station at 20/past the hour. Arrival bus stop is 4 Google minutes (10 Aqualung minutes) from the Continental along South Meadows Lane. Might not be as good getting back though!!
    In good weather worth it, with riverside(ish) beer garden. Wouldn't fancy it if raining.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The Continental is a bit of a problem. GBG listed with 6 or 7 beers on but out on a 15 minute ramble*. Two PuG reviews describe it as boring and disappointing,being more like a restaurant. Not ideal for a "meet up" place.
    Please don't let my jaundiced review put you off! I agree that it's not ideal for a meeting point. But if we meet in the Old Vic around 11:30 to 12, it's a long wait for the Plug & Taps to open at 1. So perhaps we need an alternative second pub for those who don't want to bother with the Continental?

* Not as much as 15 minutes if using my shortcut! See #10 above.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    So perhaps we need an alternative second pub for those who don't want to bother with the Continental?

* Not as much as 15 minutes if using my shortcut! See #10 above.
    I'm happy to do the walk,but is there a wild card near the Old Vic that could fit the bill for those that don't ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

It won't be a viable target for me on the day but I could get to it on arrival in late march.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I'm happy to do the walk,but is there a wild card near the Old Vic that could fit the bill for those that don't ?
    Just going to the Black Horse first would do it. Or the Black Bull if the WhatPub update mentioned above (#3) is not overoptimistic.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Just going to the Black Horse first would do it. Or the Black Bull if the WhatPub update mentioned above (#3) is not overoptimistic.
    For those not averse to JDWs, the Grey Friar is opposite the Black Bull if I remember rightly. For those not going to the Concertina it might make a better starting point than the Old Vic which can easily be included at the end.
    The Orchard seems to be on the route and is GBG listed. Despite Real Ale Ray's Grannygate it looks worth a visit.

This Space For Hire

My feeling is that putting the Continental in near the start, one that a number of people are unlikely to go to, is rather divisive and will fragment the group before we have really started. Also putting a late opener (Plug & Taps) near the start is a bit limiting. I would suggest starting at the 12 Tellers/Hogarth and picking up the central ones round Church St, then circling up to the north via the Guild Alehouse and Market Tap, sweeping back down via the Friargate ones towards the Old Vic and the station, leaving the Continental as a later option, especially for those staying overnight. (Admittedly not having checked all opening times).
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    My feeling is that putting the Continental in near the start, one that a number of people are unlikely to go to, is rather divisive and will fragment the group before we have really started. Also putting a late opener (Plug & Taps) near the start is a bit limiting. I would suggest starting at the 12 Tellers/Hogarth and picking up the central ones round Church St, then circling up to the north via the Guild Alehouse and Market Tap, sweeping back down via the Friargate ones towards the Old Vic and the station, leaving the Continental as a later option, especially for those staying overnight. (Admittedly not having checked all opening times).
    Starting at the Old Vic has a few advantages. Easy to see and get to from the station, it opens at 10 for early arrivals, it serves breakfast for the early eaters to save the walk to one of the spoons, it is one minute to the 12.20 no.114 bus stop for those who want to ride to the Continental (the 11.20 gets there too soon!).

On the other hand, Hogarths also opens at 10.00 (a spoons with no food!) and the early eaters can go across the road to the "12 Spoons"!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Chucking an idea in, we could do Old Vic, Conti then arrange a minibus for the uphill two miles to Moorbrook before working some sort of reverse of the original route.