Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Preston Crawl, Friday 22nd April 2022

This Space For Hire

Those who are coming by train and stopping over (and not yet qualified for a twerly bus pass) might be interested in Plusbus - covers local bus services for just £3.80, or less for railcard holders. Add on to your train ticket (which you can also do if you have already bought one).
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Do we have a meet-up time and venue as this will determine my departure time and price.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Do we have a meet-up time and venue as this will determine my departure time and price.
    Given that people are coming from all over the country,I would imagine that a midday start is most likely,no doubt at a pub near the station.We probably need to start thinking about a route so that late arrivals can catch up with the crawlers.

I am waiting for dynamic pricing to kick in before buying my tickets,but I am aiming to be in Preston before noon.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Given that people are coming from all over the country, I would imagine that a midday start is most likely, no doubt at a pub near the station.
    See mine @67 on this thread (page 7), also this from Alan H (#19, page 2). It makes sense to have the meeting point near the station, as Nev has said. But as the original discussion mentioned two years ago, it's a matter of where to go next.

Continental: walk, bus or taxi? And then it's another walk, bus or taxi back and then where to?

Black Horse: Perhaps a good idea to appreciate this stunning heritage interior while still relatively sober, and it's an easy walk from the Vic.

Plug & Taps: Opens at 1pm, so maybe after one or other (or both) of Continental/Black Horse. (It gets pretty busy later in the afternoon and it's quite small.)

Then perhaps choice of various bars on Friargate (some local knowledge would be useful here) on the way to Vinyl Tap and Moorbrook.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    See mine @67 on this thread (page 7), also this from Alan H (#19, page 2). It makes sense to have the meeting point near the station, as Nev has said. But as the original discussion mentioned two years ago, it's a matter of where to go next.

Continental: walk, bus or taxi? And then it's another walk, bus or taxi back and then where to?

Black Horse: Perhaps a good idea to appreciate this stunning heritage interior while still relatively sober, and it's an easy walk from the Vic.

Plug & Taps: Opens at 1pm, so maybe after one or other (or both) of Continental/Black Horse. (It gets pretty busy later in the afternoon and it's quite small.)

Then perhaps choice of various bars on Friargate (some local knowledge would be useful here) on the way to Vinyl Tap and Moorbrook.
    Continental is quite a pleasant walk through the Avenham/Miller Park, and you can always do the Winckley Ale House en route..

Your best option on Friargate is probably the impressive Plau.

Glass Half Full

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

The Continental is a short walk from the railway station if you go through the beautiful Avenham Park, following the river (Ribble) though it is the only pub in that area - from there you'll need to double back and retrace your steps to the city centre - the strongest concentration of pubs is the Friargate corridor, highlights, Friargate Taproom, Plau, and the unique Vinyl Tap (further up on Adelphi Street) - also the heritage quality Black Horse is well worth calling in - meeting, I'd suggest The Station Inn, - pretty standard real ale bar but right outside the main station concourse - for those who want to eat in a pub, food in Plau is exceptional. Friargate tap doesn't do food but lets you bring food in from any of the takeaways surrounding it - this is the edge of the student district for the UCLAN campus - Arthur
    Last edited by arthurchappell; 20-02-2022 at 15:59.

Whether coming from home or Birmingham, I am aiming to get to the Old Vic (assuming that's still the meeting point) between 11:30 and 12 noon.

Glass Half Full

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Looks like a gillette!
    appropriate that this form of architecture is called Brutalism - very apt, I find it hideous. The station has a Marmite effect on the people of Preston. I don't like Marmite either.

Glass Half Full

the old vic is fine - that is just a short walk from the train station and a decent little pub

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    the old vic is fine - that is just a short walk from the train station and a decent little pub
    Yes, and I'd have thought a better pub than the Station, though to be fair I only went in the Sation one time and didn't like it, so would prefer the Vic anyway!
    Come On You Hatters!