Ads not shown when logged in
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Preston Crawl, Friday 22nd April 2022

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Great work as usual Will. As Preston is totally virginal territory for me I will be trying to do as many of the others as possible. I particularly fancy taking in the Plug and Taps , Market Tavern and the Guild Ale House so will probably put a Part II route map together that others are welcome to join.
    That's a good idea ,a Part II will help as I'm in the same boat having never visited Preston before.Besides the three you mention ,I would also like to try Plau,Vinyl Tap,Moorbrook and Princess Alice as I'm just coming for the day trip.I was thinking of the Plug & Taps on the way back to the station.

I've got a guest coming along who has never been on a PuG crawl but was brought up in Preston and is keen to revisit some of his early drinking haunts and also see the newer ale scene.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Although I don’t know how I am going to get back to London as there is major engineering work planned for the Sunday around Milton Keynes and currently no direct trains out of Liverpool scheduled.
    I am now considering staying 2 nights in Manchester(training it to Preston and back on the 22nd) and traveling up from south on coach via Mega bus as the trains are not being very helpful at the moment.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I am now considering staying 2 nights in Manchester(training it to Preston and back on the 22nd) and traveling up from south on coach via Mega bus as the trains are not being very helpful at the moment.
    Train Line app says revised timetable will be known after March 7th. So I’m going to give it until then and see what comes up and then make a decision if I coach it back.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Default Part II idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That's a good idea ,a Part II will help as I'm in the same boat having never visited Preston before.Besides the three you mention ,I would also like to try Plau,Vinyl Tap,Moorbrook and Princess Alice as I'm just coming for the day trip.I was thinking of the Plug & Taps on the way back to the station.
    I've had a play with inserting all the targets into a spreadsheet (I work better in excel ) to see if the remaining target 7 pubs are doable..

It makes it a long day and train home would realistically have to be after 8.15pm.. You can shorten the day by leaving out the Market Tavern ( back to station by 19.40) or the Princess Alice (back by 19.30)

Any other proposals and I can have a play with my spreadsheet..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    You're out of luck there - gone!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I've had a play with inserting all the targets into a spreadsheet (I work better in excel ) to see if the remaining target 7 pubs are doable..

It makes it a long day and train home would realistically have to be after 8.15pm.. You can shorten the day by leaving out the Market Tavern ( back to station by 19.40) or the Princess Alice (back by 19.30)

That's really useful ,many thanks. I guess I will just have to wait for the revised train schedule.I can always get a lift from my friend Brian on the Thursday (he will be visiting rellies so I might slope off to a pub that evening) but I would like to return on the Friday evening by train (8pm ?)to catch some footie the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That's really useful ,many thanks. I guess I will just have to wait for the revised train schedule.I can always get a lift from my friend Brian on the Thursday (he will be visiting rellies so I might slope off to a pub that evening) but I would like to return on the Friday evening by train (8pm ?)to catch some footie the next day.
    I dont think the Friday evening train back to the smoke are affected by the works, it looks like its just over the weekend..

The train line currently has the 20.00 and 20.59 back to Euston at £20.95 with an old farts rail card..

Brilliant! That makes everything clear. The Market Tavern is so close to the Black Horse that it seems rude not to pop in for a half.

Unfortunately an error has crept in, perhaps because of several places in Preston with "Guild" in the name. The Guild Alehouse is only three minutes walk from The Market Tavern, not 15! Which saves on legs and shoe leather, to say nothing of time.

The main decision to make the day is likely to be whether to include the Princess Alice or to go straight from the Moorbrook to the Vinyl Tap, with a saving of 10 minutes walking plus however long it takes to get served and sup a drink in the Alice.

A minor point is that the Plug and Taps can get very busy on a Friday afternoon, so maybe popping in quickly after visiting the Black Horse might suit some, especially if going there as last pub makes catching the train a little tricky.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Unfortunately an error has crept in, perhaps because of several places in Preston with "Guild" in the name. The Guild Alehouse is only three minutes walk from The Market Tavern, not 15! Which saves on legs and shoe leather, to say nothing of time.
    I've just noticed that the walking distance from Guild Ale House is also wrong, so it looks like Google Maps has used the distances to and from The Guild instead of the Guild Ale House. So Market Tavern to Guild Ale House is 3 mins, and from there to Moorbrook is 13 minutes.

Those who want to do the Guild Ale House might do better going there before the Black Horse, then approaching the Moorbrook via the Vinyl Tap.
    Come On You Hatters!

I dont think the Friday evening train back to the smoke are affected by the works, it looks like its just over the weekend..

The train line currently has the 20.00 and 20.59 back to Euston at £20.95 with an old farts rail card..
    Again, thanks Gann .I might still just make it a day trip.