Ads not shown when logged in
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Preston Crawl, Friday 22nd April 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

and Denys Lasdun's University of East Anglia.
    Nowt wrong with Sir Denys:you should have seen Waveney Terrace.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    My shortcut to the Continental is a bit quicker (about 11 or 12 minutes - Google maps doesn't recognise it as a footpath, but I've walked it and it is easy enough): turn right out of the Victoria and go over the Fishergate bridge and past County Hall; turn left on Walton's Parade, right on South Cliff Street and then left on West Cliff. Continue towards the railway embankment but just before going through a tunnel to Avenham Park, turn right by Preston Sports Club on a path which ends up underneath the bridge and opposite the Continental. *

Then, as you suggest, the return route would be through the park to Winckley Street Ale House then the Black Horse.

* If walking is out of the question, there is a bus at 12:25 which gets to within 100 yards of the Continental, with a return at 13:04.
    That's a very good short cut from the Old Vic ,I often find the quoted walking times are conservative. It also sounds like the first 5 pubs are now sorted and that route will allow any late arrivals an idea of where to catch up with the group.

So look forward to The Old Vic at noon.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

My train pulls into Preston just before 11:00 and leaves at 21:15... I thought 10 hours on the sauce would be enough!

I'm staying in Crewe so hoping to find a Spoons there for breakfast.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Default Route description - first five pubs

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    It also sounds like the first 5 pubs are now sorted and that route will allow any late arrivals an idea of where to catch up with the group.

I've done a route description for those first five pubs (attached).

Once we're at the Black Horse we're pretty central, with Plug & Taps in one direction and the Market Tavern in the other, then the various delights of Friargate such as the Old Black Bull and Plau.

I suggest that there's not much point doing a detailed route after this, because some people may want to head out towards Vinyl Tap and Moorbrook while others might want to try the Guild Ale House (micropub), Twelve Tellers (Spoons), Olde Blue Bell (Humphrey) or even Hogarths in the opposite direction, depending on personal taste and whether they've been to Preston before. No chance of doing all those!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

There's a side exit from the station which is handy for the Station, but this doesn't make it a better meeting place, as the Old Vic is a much better pub (unless something has changed).
    I think the better pub is the better choice of meeting place. The Vic advertises itself as 'Prestons Premier Real Ale Pub'.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I'm staying in Crewe so hoping to find a Spoons there for breakfast.
    You're out of luck there - gone!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Default Preston

Before i get to old and knackered i think the Preston trip in April is an ideal opportunity to meet and show my appreciation for all the work and dedication
    the Pub's Galore team have given over the last 14 years i have been a member. Is it OK to bring a guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    Before i get to old and knackered i think the Preston trip in April is an ideal opportunity to meet and show my appreciation for all the work and dedication
    the Pub's Galore team have given over the last 14 years i have been a member. Is it OK to bring a guest.
    Of course it's OK to bring a guest, many people have done so before. It'll be good to meet you.
    Come On You Hatters!

Of course it's OK to bring a guest, many people have done so before. It'll be good to meet you.
    Ditto.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I've done a route description for those first five pubs (attached).
    Great work as usual Will. As Preston is totally virginal territory for me I will be trying to do as many of the others as possible. I particularly fancy taking in the Plug and Taps , Market Tavern and the Guild Ale House so will probably put a Part II route map together that others are welcome to join.
    My cousin lives in Preston so I am coming up on Thursday and as he lives north of the Vinyl Tap and the Moorbrook I will see if I can do these on Thursday. However as he is notoriously unreliable at doing social events and likely to blow me out at the last moment interested if anyone else is staying over on Thursday night as there is a possibility I could find myself free at short notice.
    This has now turned into a bit of a trip for me as I also have an old work colleague who has now retired and moved back to his birthplace of Wallasey, so I am stopping over to see him on the Saturday. Although I don’t know how I am going to get back to London as there is major engineering work planned for the Sunday around Milton Keynes and currently no direct trains out of Liverpool scheduled.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde