Ads not shown when logged in
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Preston Crawl, Friday 22nd April 2022

Managed to get a train back from Crewe to London on the 23rd for £9.50... Trip is back on!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Managed to get a train back from Crewe to London on the 23rd for £9.50... Trip is back on!
    Wow! Nice one.
    Come On You Hatters!

Glass Half Full

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Hopwoods is now open and I can report that it is eye-wateringly expensive and the cask is nothing to write home about. Nicely done inside though.
    I went to the opening night - seriously rammed, expensive unexceptional beer choices, sports TV screens, a quite good singing duo who got no introduction or applause or credit at all - piped music between theit sets. Like it was trying to be every kind of pub at once. Not too impressed. Will try it again once it settles down.
    Last edited by arthurchappell; 19-03-2022 at 11:18.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    I went to the opening night - seriously rammed, expensive unexceptional beer choices, sports TV screens, a quite good singing duo who got no introduction or applause or credit at all - piped music between theit sets. Like it was trying to be every kind of pub at once. Not too impressed. Will try it again once it settles down.
    Seemingly very few compelling reasons to visit, unless it settles down into being a quiet ale emporium.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Seemingly very few compelling reasons to visit
    Personally, I just want to visit to tick the pub! I may not bother reviewing it, so early in its existence. If everyone else wants to swerve it, that's fine. Going straight from Winckley Street Ale House to the Black Horse would be a shorter distance as well as one pub less, obviously.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Personally, I just want to visit to tick the pub! I may not bother reviewing it, so early in its existence. If everyone else wants to swerve it, that's fine. Going straight from Winckley Street Ale House to the Black Horse would be a shorter distance as well as one pub less, obviously.
    I may join you.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Absoloutley, there are still some proper pubs in London (with proper prices), but probably about 75% or more are rip off merchants.
    Indeed. The more the London pub is geared towards real ale, the more sensible the pricing; not a problem getting a wide choice of ales around the 4% - 4.5% for well under a fiver, sometimes closer to £4.00.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We are looking into coming to Preston on 22nd April too with split tickets costing £29.05 each on the train.

I could not open the last pub list published, but found a running list v1 which we thought we could follow.

We have been to the Old Vic and Winkley Street Ale House before when changing trains from Blackpool, but anything else completely new.

If we make it, train gets in 11.51 so we would perhaps be able to go with you to the first 2 or 3 on that list, but go at our own pace from there. Will let you know if we get the train tickets.

Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    We are looking into coming to Preston on 22nd April
    That's good news!

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I could not open the last pub list published, but found a running list v1 which we thought we could follow.

We have been to the Old Vic and Winkley Street Ale House before when changing trains from Blackpool, but anything else completely new.
    My document on page 13 of this thread (#124) is the first five pubs, of which you've done two (Old Vic and Winckley St). The Continental is maybe too far for Ray to walk, but there is an hourly bus at 12:25 from almost opposite the Vic, but that only allows about 25 minutes in the pub before having to leave for the return at 13:04.

The penultimate pub of the initial five has been getting some abuse on this thread for being too expensive, but the final one, the Black Horse, is an absolute gem, and not to be missed.

The document on page 14 (Steve's spreadsheet #134) has some suggestions for the latter half of the crawl. The Moorbrook and Princess Alice are too far for Ray to walk, I would guess, but the bus station is not far from the Market Tap and the Guild Ale House on Lancaster Road, and you could certainly get to the Moorbrook and back that way. Vinyl Tap and Plau would involve walking quite a long way back from the Moorbrook.

So one possibility to minimise walking distance could be Black Horse ==> Guild Ale House ==> bus station for bus to Moorbrook, then bus back to bus station==> Market Tap==> Plug & Taps==> railway station.

See you soon.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Thanks Will,

I hadn't seen the one on 124, just 134 so have saved them both. May miss Continental, but will see on the day. Directions from pub to pub brilliant and will be a great help. Off to Reading tomorrow as always enjoy a few pubs there.

Looking forward to Preston as new places are always fun.

Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.