Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preston Crawl, Friday 22nd April 2022

Hybrid View

Default Preston Crawl, Friday 22nd April 2022

This is from the original Northern crawl thread, but will do to kick off discussion about the route:

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Preston is pretty good, but there's quite a long way between pubs. I was there in August with a crew from Beer and Pubs Forum - see this thread: my post on 13 August has itinerary and walking distances, to save you reading the whole thing. Their suggested lunch stop in the Wellington was pretty awful, despite being in the Good Beer Guide, so in the interest of research I also visited Hogarths (cheap beer but good condition), the Princess Alice, the Wellfield and the Plug & Taps microbar (standing room only at tea time). My idea of the best of Preston based on this visit would be as follows:

Continental
    Old Vic
    Hogarths
    Old Blue Bell
    Guild Ale House
    Moorbrook
    Vinyl Tap
    Market Tap
    Black Horse
    Plug & Taps

Others that may be worth a try: The Orchard, Plau, The Northern Way or even the (no longer Mad) Ferret. Any more, anyone?
    Suggested route:

Old Vic
    Continental
    Plug & Taps
    Black Horse
    Plau/Northern Way/Ferret (wild cards)
    Vinyl Tap
    Moorbrook
    Guild Alehouse
    Twelve Tellers/Olde Blue Bell/Hogarths
    Market Tap

Haven't checked opening times except Plug & Taps which is 1pm, so should be open by the time we get back from the Continental.

This is only a rough draft and it's more than three months until the day, so I hope there'll be some more ideas.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Suggested route:

Old Vic
    Continental
    Plug & Taps
    Black Horse
    Plau/Northern Way/Ferret (wild cards)
    Vinyl Tap
    Moorbrook
    Guild Alehouse
    Twelve Tellers/Olde Blue Bell/Hogarths
    Market Tap
    When I visited Preston 5 years ago I went to the Old Black Bull which was probably GBG listed at the time. It's close to the Black Horse etc, but has it gone to pot?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    When I visited Preston 5 years ago I went to the Old Black Bull which was probably GBG listed at the time. It's close to the Black Horse etc, but has it gone to pot?
    Yes. At least, the review from Jon B in 2018 would suggest so. However, WhatPub from last August says there are two hand pumps with beers from micros or small independent breweries.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 12-01-2020 at 11:32.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

I like Preston, a quite vibrant city centre which has been revitalised in recent years. And pubs don't really get much better than The Black Horse as far as I'm concerned.

Old Boots covers most pubs that are worth visiting. I would also mention the Roper Hall which is a chain student pub but with very good beer, the Otters Pocket which is a pie and ale place with three good ales on (I usually eat here when I'm in Preston) and Wings & Beer Co which is an American sports bar with five good ales on. The Princess Alice is also handy for the Moorbrook but not worth going out of your way for.

The Dog & Partridge, Old Black Bull, Stanley Arms, New Brit, and Ale Emporium/Speakeasy all used to be very good pubs but I would not recommend any of them now. The Wellington has been GBG listed recently but it's Marstons and mediocre in my opinion.
    Last edited by Brainypool; 12-01-2020 at 13:42.

This Space For Hire

It went to pot during my time there from June 2016 to August 2018. The crawl looks well planned, I'd perhaps switch the Conti and Old Vic around but I suppose as it stands is useful for the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    It went to pot during my time there from June 2016 to August 2018. The crawl looks well planned, I'd perhaps switch the Conti and Old Vic around but I suppose as it stands is useful for the station.
    It sounds like a waste of time now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I'd perhaps switch the Conti and Old Vic around but I suppose as it stands is useful for the station.
    I tend to agree with that. I would only go to the Continental if I could get a bus there but the Vic opens at 10:00 rather than midday.

I would only go to the Continental if I could get a bus there
    How about a taxi share with three other non-walkers?
    Come On You Hatters!

I tend to agree with that. I would only go to the Continental if I could get a bus there but the Vic opens at 10:00 rather than midday.
    The Continental is a bit of a problem. GBG listed with 6 or 7 beers on but out on a 15 minute ramble. Two PuG reviews describe it as boring and disappointing,being more like a restaurant. Not ideal for a "meet up" place. There is a No.114 bus (to Chorley) that leaves from Fishergate outside the station at 20/past the hour. Arrival bus stop is 4 Google minutes (10 Aqualung minutes) from the Continental along South Meadows Lane. Might not be as good getting back though!! Seems like it uses the same stop and circles its way back.
    Last edited by AlanH; 13-01-2020 at 12:57.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The Continental is a bit of a problem. GBG listed with 6 or 7 beers on but out on a 15 minute ramble. Two PuG reviews describe it as boring and disappointing,being more like a restaurant. Not ideal for a "meet up" place. There is a No.114 bus that leaves from Fishergate outside the station at 20/past the hour. Arrival bus stop is 4 Google minutes (10 Aqualung minutes) from the Continental along South Meadows Lane. Might not be as good getting back though!!
    In good weather worth it, with riverside(ish) beer garden. Wouldn't fancy it if raining.