Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Preston Crawl, Friday 22nd April 2022

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    appropriate that this form of architecture is called Brutalism - very apt, I find it hideous. The station has a Marmite effect on the people of Preston. I don't like Marmite either.
    Eh? The Preston photo I saw was not 'brutalism' architecture - that was 50s/60s concrete abominations, mostly in post-war re-build-up but also visible in the styles like the abominations like south bank centre, national theatre, queen elizabeth hall, all defacing that area of the thames waterfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Continental is quite a pleasant walk through the Avenham/Miller Park, and you can always do the Winckley Ale House en route..

Your best option on Friargate is probably the impressive Plau.
    My shortcut to the Continental is a bit quicker (about 11 or 12 minutes - Google maps doesn't recognise it as a footpath, but I've walked it and it is easy enough): turn right out of the Victoria and go over the Fishergate bridge and past County Hall; turn left on Walton's Parade, right on South Cliff Street and then left on West Cliff. Continue towards the railway embankment but just before going through a tunnel to Avenham Park, turn right by Preston Sports Club on a path which ends up underneath the bridge and opposite the Continental. *

Then, as you suggest, the return route would be through the park to Winckley Street Ale House then the Black Horse.

* If walking is out of the question, there is a bus at 12:25 which gets to within 100 yards of the Continental, with a return at 13:04.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 20-02-2022 at 15:45. Reason: adding bus option
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Eh? The Preston photo I saw was not 'brutalism' architecture - that was 50s/60s concrete abominations, mostly in post-war re-build-up but also visible in the styles like the abominations like south bank centre, national theatre, queen elizabeth hall, all defacing that area of the thames waterfront.
    The Grade II listing details from Historic England assigns it to the New Brutalism school of architecture, but the curved edges to each floor of the car park above does make a huge difference compared with the stark examples along the Thames's South Bank.

More from The Beauty of Transport blog.
    Last edited by rpadam; 20-02-2022 at 15:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Looks like a gillette!
    appropriate that this form of architecture is called Brutalism - very apt, I find it hideous. The station has a Marmite effect on the people of Preston. I don't like Marmite either.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    The Grade II listing details from Historic England assigns it to the New Brutalism school of architecture, but the curved edges to each floor of the car park above does make a huge difference compared with the stark examples along the Thames's South Bank.

More from The Beauty of Transport blog.

Well, I like Marmite, so here are some more photos of Preston bus station.
    Come On You Hatters!

Here's another idea: Hopwoods Tap House is due to open in a couple of weeks, according to their Facebook page. It would fit in nicely between Hinckley Street and Black Horse.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Well, I like Marmite, so here are some more photos of Preston bus station.
    And here's one I took last year:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210824_223503s.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	683.3 KB 
ID:	2711

A national treasure!

Here's another idea: Hopwoods Tap House is due to open in a couple of weeks, according to their Facebook page. It would fit in nicely between Hinckley Street and Black Horse.
    Agreed!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Given that people are coming from all over the country,I would imagine that a midday start is most likely,no doubt at a pub near the station.We probably need to start thinking about a route so that late arrivals can catch up with the crawlers.

I am waiting for dynamic pricing to kick in before buying my tickets,but I am aiming to be in Preston before noon.
    Whether coming from home or Birmingham, I am aiming to get to the Old Vic (assuming that's still the meeting point) between 11:30 and 12 noon.
    the old vic is fine - that is just a short walk from the train station and a decent little pub
    Yes, and I'd have thought a better pub than the Station, though to be fair I only went in the Sation one time and didn't like it, so would prefer the Vic anyway!
    So The Old Vic at midday then? The Station is not as well reviewed and is a slightly longer walk; on leaving the station you can't miss the Vic according to Google.
    Last edited by Tris39; 20-02-2022 at 17:22.

This Space For Hire

Well, I like Marmite.
    Marmite is a by-product of the brewing industry.

And here's one I took last year:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210824_223503s.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	683.3 KB 
ID:	2711

A national treasure!
    Along with Basil Spence's Home Office Building, Chamberlain, Powell & Bon's Barbican complex and Denys Lasdun's University of East Anglia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    So The Old Vic at midday then? The Station is not as well reviewed and is a slightly longer walk; on leaving the station you can't miss the Vic according to Google.
    There's a side exit from the station which is handy for the Station, but this doesn't make it a better meeting place, as the Old Vic is a much better pub (unless something has changed).
    Come On You Hatters!