Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Preston Crawl, Friday 22nd April 2022

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Thought it worthwhile to BUMP this thread now that thoughts are turning to the next PuG crawl venuue (Omicron scientific data willing ,obviously)

Reading through the thread,quite a bit of research and planning had taken place without any definitive plan.Consulting the 2022 GBG , it shows a very similar list of Preston real ale options with the only addition Winckley Street Ale House (formerly Otters Pocket).I've never been drinking in Preston,so can't help much with ideas or route for this crawl,but several other members do seem familiar with what looks like a decent option for a PuG crawl.

The original crawl fell victim to the first COVID lockdown,is there interest in trying Preston again ?

If so we will need to discuss dates,with late March /early April seeming to fit the bill. The title of this thread will also need changing.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I'm up for Preston in Spring 2022.

And me (us)
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Yes. Omigod withstanding, should we just continue with the crawls as voted: Preston then Winchester.

100% Preston - never been and would love to go!

Default Pubs Galore crawl in Preston, Spring 2022

I suggest this thread needs splitting from the BUMP @61 onwards.
    Come On You Hatters!

I was there with the Beer & Pubs Forum guys in 2019 - see this thread. That was more than two years ago, and there have been changes. The Winckley Street Ale House (formerly Otters Pocket) mentioned by Nev @61 didn't even appear on our radar, though Pub Curmudgeon insisted on the Wellington (in the GBG at the time), a couple of streets away, for a lunch stop. I popped in but it was on its last legs; I have read recently that it is on the way back (or was that just a dream?).

I did look at a possible route, with alternatives on the bus out to The Plungington Hotel, which had a pretty good rep at the time. Another good pub, but a little out of the town centre, is The Moorbrook, and some might prefer the bus than walking 15 minutes along the A6. The trouble is, who knows if these pubs are still worth the effort? (The man on the spot in Preston is Matthew Lawrenson (just M.Lawrenson on that forum, which could lead to msitakes for the unwary), but I'm not sure he's forgiven me yet for knowing the short-cut [see #10] to the Continental from Preston station. If he'd known it too he'd have been impressed, but he didn't, so he wasn't.)

I also toyed with the idea of quickly scooting up to Lancaster on the train. More than toyed with - I bought advance tickets for £1.30 each way (!) with time for two or three pubs within a quick sprint of Lancaster station.

But that was then, this is now. Or next spring.

To get the ball rolling, this from nearly two years ago was Alan Hurdle's take on the possible start of the crawl, which seems pretty sound to me:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Starting at the Old Vic has a few advantages. Easy to see and get to from the station, it opens at 10 for early arrivals, it serves breakfast for the early eaters to save the walk to one of the spoons, it is one minute to the 12.20 no.114 bus stop for those who want to ride to the Continental (the 11.20 gets there too soon!).
    Let's take it from there. Any ideas?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    ... we will need to discuss dates,with late March /early April seeming to fit the bill.
    Easter is mid-April, with Good Friday on the 15th. Should we also consider the 22nd and 29th? That gives us a choice of six dates: March 18th & 25th, April 1st, 8th, 22nd and 29th.

The two March dates are before the clocks go forward, so the extra April dates give us the option of voting for (possible) better weather and (certain) extended daylight.
    Come On You Hatters!

These are my most recent (2021) Preston ratings:

Black Horse Preston - Central 9
    Continental Preston - Avenham 7
    Forum Preston - Central 5
    Gin Jar Ale Preston - Penwortham 7
    Market Street Social Preston - Central 6
    Orchard Preston - Central 7
    Plau Preston - Central 7
    Plug & Taps Preston - Central 7
    Stanley Arms Preston - Central 6
    Tap & Vine Preston - Penwortham 7
    Winckley Street Preston - Central 7
    Wings & Beer Co Preston - Central 7

NB - Not deliberately visiting well-known pubs only, because there were some pot luck stops involved too.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Easter is mid-April, with Good Friday on the 15th. Should we also consider the 22nd and 29th? That gives us a choice of six dates: March 18th & 25th, April 1st, 8th, 22nd and 29th.
    April the 8th is the start of the Camra members weekend in Eastbourne.