Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

Truman dabbled with brewing Pale Ale even before they acquired a brewery in Burton.

Their Contract Pale Ale is particularly interesting, being a beer specifically brewed for the East India Company. The company regularly placed advertisements asking breweries to submit tenders for Pale Ale and Porter to be shipped to India.

To all those who insist that IPA is and always has been a strong beer, I’ll point out that this was the lowest OG beer Truman brewed. Their weakest Mild had a gravity of 1066º and even their Porter was 1057º.

At a time when breweries regularly used hops that were two, three or even five years old, it’s worth noting that this beer, which was brewed in November, used all 1855 season hops. So about as fresh as hops get. So for once I’ve not reduced the hopping rate to account for hop deterioration over time. The hops are described as MK, i.e. Mid Kent, in the brewing record.

Unsurprisingly, the grist is 100% pale malt. As were most beers other than Porter and Stout at the time. Not really much else I can say, is there?

1855 Truman EI Contract IPA
pale malt 12.75 lb 100.00%
Goldings 90 mins 3.25 oz
Goldings 60 mins 3.25 oz
Goldings 30 mins 3.25 oz
Goldings dry hops 0.50 oz
OG 1055
FG 1014
ABV 5.42
Apparent attenuation 74.55%
IBU 121
SRM 5
Mash at 154º F
Sparge at 170º F
Boil time 90 minutes
pitching temp 69º F
Yeast Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

The above is one of the many recipes in my book Let's Brew!

And I've recently created a Kindle version of the book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08348M2D7

More...