Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Statistical Anomaly

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    When I did my top 250 Pub Names Challenge I asked Dave to remove chain names from the 250 list - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/c...e/quinno/2016/ as I wanted it to be 'proper traditional' pub names.

I don't know whether https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/pubs/pub-names/ looks at the same SQL but that might well be a contrbuting factor...
    No idea how to remedy it but Miller and Carter, TGI Fridays, Popworld, Brewhouse and Kitchen, Cosy Club, Chiquito and Revolución de Cuba need to go - perhaps solve the problem by deleting them from the site altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    No idea how to remedy it but Miller and Carter, TGI Fridays, Popworld, Brewhouse and Kitchen, Cosy Club, Chiquito and Revolución de Cuba need to go - perhaps solve the problem by deleting them from the site altogether.
    Here we go again. I can hear the can of worms being opened!!

Time to take cover …..

I am a salmon !!

Just Missed the Round

Oi, you leave Brewhouse & Kitchen alone! I quite like their establishments, mainly for the fact that they brew their own beers in-house.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Brewhouse and Kitchen
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Oi, you leave Brewhouse & Kitchen alone! I quite like their establishments, mainly for the fact that they brew their own beers in-house.
    I think the point was they have a chain name. Mentioning them in the same line as the other dross does imply similarity but I've been to 3 B & Ks and none of the rest!

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I think the point was they have a chain name. Mentioning them in the same line as the other dross does imply similarity but I've been to 3 B & Ks and none of the rest!
    The suggestion was, as I interpreted it, that these pubs shouldn't appear in the "Common Pub Names" list, which is a valid point as they are chain names and not really the names of individual pubs. However the other half of the suggestion was that a solution to this would be to delete these pubs from the site completely, which in the case of Brewhouse & Kitchen I think would be a mistake. As for some of the others (TGI Fridays et al), well I'm sure that's been debated before.

I don't know if there is an elegant solution, but if I'm looking at the "Common Pub Names" list, I mentally skip past anything that I know is a chain name rather than an authentic pub name. We can't take these things too seriously... can we? *ducks for cover*

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I'm not knocking the institution, rather it has a chain not traditional pub name.

To go back to the original point (which I think is about whether to include the place name in the pub name of certain chains) I have been looking at Birmingham central area - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/b...west-midlands/ to try and get a clear picture in my head.

There is only one Brewdog and it is called Brewdog.

There are 2 Alchemist's. They have now had the area added to the name which to me isn't needed. I added the one at Brindley Place and I definitely didn't include the area in the name. I'm not sure who altered it but was only done recently. The same goes for the 3 "All Bar One" venues and the 3 "Café Rouge" venues.

On the other hand there are 2 examples of Strada, Las Iguanas and Reflex which have not been altered.

The question is - do we need a place / area name attached to the pub name at all? Should the place name be in brackets as it is not part of the pub name (like the Wetherspoons are)? I am no expert in this world wide web thing so I haven't a clue how any of this affects searches !

That should open up the discussion a little - unless it's only me who is interested of course!

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    To go back to the original point (which I think is about whether to include the place name in the pub name of certain chains) I have been looking at Birmingham central area - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/b...west-midlands/ to try and get a clear picture in my head.
    What Pub is the model of inconsistency with naming Brewdog bars. Even within my own branch the E9 outlet stands out as just being Brewdog!