Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New pub visits 2020

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Hi Pangolin, and any other IOWers, a mate is going next week and is keen to hear of any pub tips... any must dos from your list..?
    Many thanks,jim
    I don't know how well the multiple beer pubs are doing beerwise in CV19 days, but the usual suspects also include the Railway in Ryde, The Newport Ale House, Castle in Sandown, Sportsmans Rest in Porchfield and Joe's Bar in Niton, which I believe are all open. Not sure if the Volunteer in Ventnor is yet and several of the micros seem to be moribund. On the plus side, most of the island pubs seem to have at least one local ale on.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I don't know how well the multiple beer pubs are doing beerwise in CV19 days, but the usual suspects also include the Railway in Ryde, The Newport Ale House, Castle in Sandown, Sportsmans Rest in Porchfield and Joe's Bar in Niton, which I believe are all open. Not sure if the Volunteer in Ventnor is yet and several of the micros seem to be moribund. On the plus side, most of the island pubs seem to have at least one local ale on.
    The Spyglass in Ventnor, for the view, and a decent pint.

15 new East Sussex pubs brings me to 45.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A short visit to Carlisle puts me into three figures at last, now on 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I'm back in the game - sort of!

Chalked up 5 new pubs last week to get me to 38.
    Now on 40 - I'll struggle to get past 50 this year!

I am a salmon !!

Finally reached three figures (101), but it's tough these days, especially in tourist areas at busy times. I'm just back from a week away - two days in the Lakes, five in Scotland. The pub I wanted to do in Dumfries was still closed, with a notice on the door saying they'll reopen on 3 November. I didn't see a "maybe", but it must be implied.

And then in Drymen (in the Lomond/Trossachs national park) I couldn't get into this one on Saturday afternoon. The dining room was totally empty, but my pleas to be let in fell on deaf ears, or at least the ears of the people who would have to disinfect the table afterwards. The public bar was "full" (the new full), with five regulars occupying six high chairs at the bar counter - which was totally surrounded with perspex. But not allowed to use the only free chair at the bar because of distancing, and not allowed to move any of the free chairs at the half dozen tables.

So, only 10 pub visits while away, and only three of them to pubs not previously visited by me. This disease will put paid to pub ticking, if it doesn't see off the whole pub industry.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

So, only 10 pub visits while away, and only three of them to pubs not previously visited by me. This disease will put paid to pub ticking, if it doesn't see off the whole pub industry.
    Managed 15 new pub visits on my 4 days on the SE coast last week having originally planed on 30+, after bland/poor beer in my first two attempts (Shepherd Neame) I decided to abandon a Winfield style attack and settled for longer stays of quality (beer). Even if the pub looks good it's not as if your allowed to wander round the place to check it out.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Even if the pub looks good it's not as if your allowed to wander round the place to check it out.
    That's a very good point and does make doing a full review tricky if the pub has multiple rooms and nooks & crannies.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That's a very good point and does make doing a full review tricky if the pub has multiple rooms and nooks & crannies.
    Just 'accidentally' take a circuitous route to the toilets!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Just 'accidentally' take a circuitous route to the toilets!
    I had to do that last Sunday, officially, after exiting toilet out into the garden at rear round to the side and back through front door to get to my seat by the bar. Normal route a 5m walk, new route probably about 60m or more.

As for visits up to 60 new ones and 50 revisits. Doing more of South Wales has been scuppered somewhat.