Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New pub visits 2020

Woohoo! Been in a new pub.

The newly opened Hogarths in The Dale.

Would have been in Knaresborough on Monday, but OB advised that a couple of the pubs we wanted to visit, were still closed, despite their websites etc.

Now on 19.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

Would have been in Knaresborough on Monday, but OB advised that a couple of the pubs we wanted to visit, were still closed, despite their websites etc.
    However soon there should be a couple of new ones, one is currently a wine bar but will reopen with cask from Turning Point, the other is a planning application for a micropub in the station, right next to the Mitre (which should reopen this weekend).
    Last edited by oldboots; 07-08-2020 at 20:04.

A couple of nights in Nottingham yielded 7 new pubs, despite it being well trodden ground.

It would have been more if some places had actually been open when their "up to date" social media said they were.

Was also refused entry to a pub for the first time since I was 17.

This was because we didn't have a smartphone. As I pointed out to the arsehole, this is discrimination. We offered to supply the required details manually
    like almost all other Nottingham pubs seemed to be doing, but they said they didn't have paper or a pen.

Hang your head in shame Bell Inn

This Space For Hire

A couple of nights in Nottingham yielded 7 new pubs, despite it being well trodden ground.

It would have been more if some places had actually been open when their "up to date" social media said they were.

Was also refused entry to a pub for the first time since I was 17.

This was because we didn't have a smartphone. As I pointed out to the arsehole, this is discrimination. We offered to supply the required details manually
    like almost all other Nottingham pubs seemed to be doing, but they said they didn't have paper or a pen.

Hang your head in shame Bell Inn
    So a final trip to the Bell Inn? Perhaps it should be renamed the Bell End.

I don't understand why you needed a smartphone? Any scanning can surely be done by forsaking a smartphone's QR scanner and using an ordinary phone to send an old-fashioned text instead, which yields the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

I don't understand why you needed a smartphone? Any scanning can surely be done by forsaking a smartphone's QR scanner and using an ordinary phone to send an old-fashioned text instead, which yields the same result.
    Just had to do the QR thing, takes five minutes standing at the bar like a dickhead filling the bloody thing out before you can get a beer, most sensible pubs want name and number, takes 30 seconds.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I had a similar load of nonsense here: The Bell Inn Must be something about the name.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Just had to do the QR thing, takes five minutes standing at the bar like a dickhead filling the bloody thing out before you can get a beer, most sensible pubs want name and number, takes 30 seconds.
    I think the Southampton Arms has a QR code scan at the door but also an SMS number for older phones. Either way, I still haven't been able to get an evening seat yet...

Had a pint in the - almost empty at 9.00 on a Saturday - The Bull & Gate and they want oral information which is logged on a hotel-like laptop at the entrance, so a Mr. Shergar Lucan may get a call in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I had a similar load of nonsense here: The Bell Inn Must be something about the name.
    Loved your comment: 'It feels a bit like a UN compound in Somalia, but without the warm night air.'

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Disgraceful. I expected similar at the Canalhouse in Nottingham last weekend and would have walked but for one of the guys doing the barcode thing. Then he had to order all our drinks from an app, and pay the round, it's a f.in nonsense. I've a smartphone (android) but not very techy and I now read I would probably need a scanning app to use this QR stuff, I'd rather move on...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Disgraceful. I expected similar at the Canalhouse in Nottingham last weekend and would have walked but for one of the guys doing the barcode thing. Then he had to order all our drinks from an app, and pay the round, it's a f.in nonsense. I've a smartphone (android) but not very techy and I now read I would probably need a scanning app to use this QR stuff, I'd rather move on...
    No problem at The Canalhouse, they had a manual backup system for both T&T and for ordering drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Three in July, so 23 to date.
    Managed another 6 this month so 29 to date planning to get a good few under my belt in September over 4 days exploring the south east coast beyond Brighton.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields