Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon 40th Anniversary Quiz

Default Wetherspoon 40th Anniversary Quiz

This quiz doesn't include airport JDWs but other than that it's their entire estate. For fans of them or those suffering with Koutaliaphobia, here are 14 burning JDW questions.

1) There are two UK towns that host a JDW and have identical town names but are in completely different Counties. Name the town.

2) Name the oldest outlet that is still trading.

3) If the Wick outlet had closed what town would house their most Northerly outlet?

4) What town has their furthest East outlet?

5) What town has their furthest South outlet?

6) What is the location of their furthest West outlet?

7) Where is their largest outlet located?

8) Where is their smallest outlet located?

9) Name the two Essex towns that have a JDW but don't have a Railway Station (they used to). This doesn't include parts of Greater London that may get wrongly referred to as being in Essex.

10) Which outlet is an original pub and was called the Tanners Hall before reverting to the original name some years later?

11) Excluding the Sir John Hawkshaw on Cannon Street station which has no toilets at all, what is the only outlet without an accessible toilet?

12) How many outlets are there currently in Ulster?

13) A former JDW was previously a Batham's house. Name it and the town where it was located.

14) The Aberystwyth outlet is called "Yr Hen Orsaf". What does this mean?

Having a copy of their handbook will be useful but all the answers can be tracked down on the web. Number 13 might prove a problem.
    There's no prizes but you can post how many you think you've got right and I'll invite the leader(s) to PM their answers. I'm expecting a few full marks, especially as there's no restrictions on researching the answers (I had to do it myself for some of them!). Answers will be published on or just after the first weekend of the new year.

This Space For Hire

I reckon I knew 7 and a half straight off and have corrected other errors and found the rest, with one guess which I do NOT believe is on the net - well I can't find it anyway!!

Well done for generating a little amusement and head scratching!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I reckon I knew 7 and a half straight off and have corrected other errors and found the rest, with one guess which I do NOT believe is on the net - well I can't find it anyway!!

Well done for generating a little amusement and head scratching!
    Which number did you have to guess?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Which number did you have to guess?
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    And I thought 13 was the tricky one! It can be worked out online as I checked it yesterday.

This Space For Hire

Answers from my spoon dad, I think 1 is wrong although it was my thought as well as place that may be the answer.

Without internet*

1 Newport*

3 Inverness*

4 Gorleston on Sea*

5 Helston*

6 Penzance

9 Maldon and Saffron Walden*

12 4

13 kidderminster Hare and Hound*

14 The Old Station*
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 28-12-2019 at 23:57.

This Space For Hire

And I thought 13 was the tricky one! It can be worked out online as I checked it yesterday.
    I am highly intrigued as to what you are looking at, although I have discovered there is a whole chunk of code on the JDW website Find a Pub section that doesn't work on any of my PCs.
    I have however remembered another Spoons that doesn't have toilets, so is technically correct, but I doubt it is the one you have as an answer!

This is what Iv'e come up with, all via the internet apart from nos 2 which I knew(assuming its right).

1 Newport
    2 The Rochester Castle , Stoke Newington
    3 Inverness
    4 The Joseph Conrad , Lowestof
    5 Penzance
    6 County Cork
    7 Ramsgate
    8 Eltham
    9 Saffron Walden and Maldon
    10 ?
    11 ?
    12 9
    13 ?
    14 The Old Station

Although I like a challenge I am not a Spoons fan and have lost the will to persevere with the missing three.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Some comments from me.

I'd completely forgotten about Newport!! It is a valid answer but not if you substitute the word UK with English.
    Nobody who has posted answers has correctly identified the second most Northerly JDW. I think there's some preconceptions about Scottish geography at play.
    Re question 11, the JDW web site has a symbol for step free access. It's not a new outlet and it's not the one where the accessible toilet doubles up as the Ladies! The pub search doesn't work for me using Internet Explorer.
    Re question 13, I'm disappointed that people know about this one! I visited it as a Batham's pub when there were only a few JDWs in NE London.

Nobody who has posted answers has correctly identified the second most Northerly JDW. I think there's some preconceptions about Scottish geography at play.
    Elgin.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields