Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Pub of the Year 2019

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Well I suppose the easy answer is: anything with "Hungry Horse" written on the outside of it. But then I get the feeling that, inwardly at least, they know they're crap. What annoys me more are those that are equally crap, like some M&B brands, but think they're a cut above the rest.
    You can lead a Hungry Horse to water, but you can't drown it.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

I recall The Lock Keeper, Chester and Liquid Bar, Ormskirk being a nightmare. And as above, almost any Hungry Horse/Flaming Grill/Toby Carvery/Miller & Carter anti-pub I have been dragged into.

This Space For Hire

I might have to start a 'Stop knocking Hungry Horses' thread! Yes, there are plenty of crap ones but I have been to several good ones, and they do tend to at least have handpumps. As with most pubs, it does of course depend on the manager/landlord: I know one which had a really enthusiastic guy who kept the back bar free from family distractions and with changing ales in good condition. Wouldn't like to guarantee it if/when he left though.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I might have to start a 'Stop knocking Hungry Horses' thread! Yes, there are plenty of crap ones but I have been to several good ones.
    Fair play , but I am yet to find one, not that I'm looking.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I might have to start a 'Stop knocking Hungry Horses' thread! Yes, there are plenty of crap ones but I have been to several good ones, and they do tend to at least have handpumps. As with most pubs, it does of course depend on the manager/landlord: I know one which had a really enthusiastic guy who kept the back bar free from family distractions and with changing ales in good condition. Wouldn't like to guarantee it if/when he left though.
    A good point but I would never go into a Hungry Horse, just like a Cafe Rouge or Turtle Bay. .

There are a few poor pub experiences I've had this year, but they have been redeemed by friendly and helpful bar staff or customers.

The Gardeners Arms in Evesham The Gardeners Arms is a bit of a grotty locals pub, with no real ale. Alan Winfield summed it up perfectly, so there was no need to write a new review.
    There is a pub in Gloucester that shall remain nameless, really grumpy landlord.
    Last edited by Lady Grey; 26-12-2019 at 19:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    There are a few poor pub experiences I've had this year, but they have been redeemed by friendly and helpful bar staff or customers.

The Gardeners Arms in Evesham The Gardeners Arms is a bit of a grotty locals pub, with no real ale. Alan Winfield summed it up perfectly, so there was no need to write a new review.
    There is a pub in Gloucester that shall remain nameless, really grumpy landlord.
    Alans review is from almost 2 decades ago , I would suggest its always worth an up-to date review even if the pub is essentially unchanged, it would help anyone browsing pubs galore to see the current state of affairs of the pub and reinforce Pubs Galore as a credible and up to date web site.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Point taken Mobyduck. I didn't realise the review was that old.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

An easy winner......................The Founders Arms.

Not being a completist means I normally just walk by what appear to be awful pubs ,but a sudden downpour forced me in here.The lowest mark awarded to a new pub visit in 2019.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    An easy winner......................The Founders Arms.

Not being a completist means I normally just walk by what appear to be awful pubs ,but a sudden downpour forced me in here. The lowest mark awarded to a new pub visit in 2019.
    Shame. Many years ago I had to do some work at Sainsbury's HQ at Blackfriars and it was a decent enough pub then.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas