Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Pub of the Year 2019

Default Worst Pub of the Year 2019

I thought I'd kick this one off now, in the fervent hope that I don't come across anything worse in the last week of this year.

I scored half a dozen pubs on 3 this year: The Falcon (Bridgnorth), Lost Industry Tap (Sheffield), Red Lion (Dunston, Lincs), Londesborough Arms (Metheringham, Lincs), The Rockingham Tap (Swinton, Yorks) and Woodies (Leeds). Some of them it's a matter of taste, so that although my experience was probably more like a 1, I recognise that the pub might not be thought quite so bad by the customers at whom it is aimed. Some it's just bad beer or bad service.

This year's clear winner (and I can't remember now why it scored 2 rather than 1): The Sportsman, Carlisle. Just bad.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quite a few contenders, mostly down to my OCD/Completeism but I'll go with the most recent which is truly awful: (big pause)

The Terrace

Possiibly not as bad as Nick Davies' Ye Olde Saracens Head in the Rear of the Year thread, as I got served, on the other hand I'd probably have prefered not to have been.
    Last edited by oldboots; 23-12-2019 at 12:51.

Thanks for setting this up. Sadly, with few new pubs visited thus year I can't think of anywhere completely horrendous. I could pop round to the William Morris but the opening times are totally random.

Real Ale Drinker

A difficult one this as the amount of crap 'bars' and 'wine bar' type places I've been in this year make it hard to choose as Slug And Lettuce-like places are just crap anyway. However, the worst 'proper style pub' for me has to be the Queen's Counsel in Ilkeston. Just crap.

This Space For Hire

A few contenders serving undrinkable bilge, which could possibly be redeemed if you were lucky enough to coincide with a fresh barrel. And think I vaguely remember giving somewhere a 1 but have managed to put it out of my mind. Finally decided on the worst recent experience despite it serving a decent beer: The Coach.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Although I made a conscious decision not to visit any obviously crap pubs just for the sake of a tick , inevitably some slip through the net as did this one, The Draft House Old Street, 2/10, it would seem though that I am at odds with the previous reviewers.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

There's a few days left, and I usually try to find a smidgen vaguely positive (or at least neutral) in any review, but I can't imagine anywhere topping (or should that be bottoming) the Crown in Kings Heath.

This Space For Hire

With few new pub visits this year, I haven't had too many bitter disappointments but I'd probably dissuade potential visitors from trying out:

The Gun

Croxtons

BrewDog Oxford

The Bulls Head

This Space For Hire

Thought it might be difficult to find a real dud from my list then I remembered this ghastly enterprise
    Real Ale London w10 bar/bottle shop

This Space For Hire

Well I suppose the easy answer is: anything with "Hungry Horse" written on the outside of it. But then I get the feeling that, inwardly at least, they know they're crap. What annoys me more are those that are equally crap, like some M&B brands, but think they're a cut above the rest.