Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Chinese beer anyone?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Question Chinese beer anyone?

Harking back to thread about Indian beers with curry, how about Chinese beer with Chinese grub?

From Thursday 15 July [today] Lidl has Tsingtao beer at £1.49 for 640ml [£2.33 L], 4.7% ABV

http://www.tsingtaobeer.co.uk/home.htm

I will give it a go, no doubt more lager style than ale of course

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    From Thursday 15 July [today] Lidl has Tsingtao beer at £1.49 for 640ml [£2.33 L], 4.7% ABV
    Sounds like it will dilute MSG quite nicely.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Everything else I buy appears to have " Made in China " on it so why not beer ?

It is only the Chinese habit of including " exotic " ingredients that makes me wary. They can be free handed with stuff like Essence of Bat Bile and Powdered Infusion of Penguin Pancreas. Or was that three witches in " The Scottish Play" ( I almost wrote Macbeth then...DAMMN !).

Oh Well, whats to lose ? I will have a pint of " Glorious Red Banner Of The Peoples Never Ending Struggle Against Capitalist Running Dogs" ale.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I will have a pint of " Glorious Red Banner Of The Peoples Never Ending Struggle Against Capitalist Running Dogs" ale.
    Brilliant!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Everything else I buy appears to have " Made in China " on it so why not beer ?

It is only the Chinese habit of including " exotic " ingredients that makes me wary. They can be free handed with stuff like Essence of Bat Bile and Powdered Infusion of Penguin Pancreas. Or was that three witches in " The Scottish Play" ( I almost wrote Macbeth then...DAMMN !).

Oh Well, whats to lose ? I will have a pint of " Glorious Red Banner Of The Peoples Never Ending Struggle Against Capitalist Running Dogs" ale.
    Just googled Chinese hop production:apparently they grow shedfuls of the stuff, and have been flooding the UK market. They only started growing in the last 40 years. They seem to be using standard (western) agronomic techniques, though.

Spritzer Swallower

The Wikipedia entry on Tsingtao is an interesting read — seems the brewery was initially formed by an Anglo-German company, and was also owned by a Japanese brewery at one point. It's state-owned now, of course. Apparently they do a dark beer as well as the more common lager-coloured one.

Regarding Chinese food, I hope it's OK to mention my Chinese menu blog? Although sadly I have not yet got around to covering essence of bat bile, so Arwkrite may be disappointed.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kake View Post
    seems the brewery was initially formed by an Anglo-German company, and was also owned by a Japanese brewery at one point.
    Isn't that ironic - Tsingtao was besiged during 1914 by the British and Japanese, as it was a German naval base in China!
    MILD:

Nothing inspires the " British Tommy " to bouts of valour than knowing there is the chance of a good pint at the end of it. I bet the brewery became a strategic target but off limits to the artillery.

Thai beer seems to have a strange effect on football tops

Attachment 332
    Last edited by hondo; 19-07-2010 at 09:45.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"